Budget friendly do it all in LH

ohiohunter

A friend finally drew a few tags. He wants a gun he can take an elk at 1000yds, I explained to him its unlikely he will but by the same token I don't want to limit is future. So we conceded that the 300wm will do everything and more, tho I think he could easily use a 7RM, 30-06, even 308 or 6.5cm (thinking it might be a little light on elk). I have not gotten an exact budget from him, and his experience level with a rifle is near zero.

He needs LH. At this point we're looking very hard at savages, but keeping tikkas in mind. He will be shooting factory ammo so very likely 180gr will be his main load, not sure how the tikka 1:11 will handle it. He's also not interested in a 10lb+ gun.

I'd like to hear some opinions that may push us in one direction or another.

Savage 111 long range hunter with the Hornady precision hunter ammo is about as good as it will get on a budget, and remember you will have to spend some money on a scope.

Does the LRH come in LH? I'm also afraid it may come in a little overweight. Realistically I don't see this gun being used past 500yds except at the range... being budget and factory ammo I don't foresee a ton of use... I also know my friend. I hope so, but not likely.

Strongly considering a tikka hunter 1:11, whats the heaviest bullet I could run in this? I don't want a tank of a gun but I also don't want him to develop a flinch.

My 1st thought on the original post is your friend has watched too many hunting shows. With no gun time and all that leads to. Get him a 30-06 and keep him to 500y and under. 500y is a darn long ways for 99% of hunters out there.

Steve

My 1st thought on the original post is your friend has watched too many hunting shows. With no gun time and all that leads to. Get him a 30-06 and keep him to 500y and under. 500y is a darn long ways for 99% of hunters out there.

Steve

I agree and I suggested it, but I also think this will be the first and last gun he buys for a long long time. Like I said I HIGHLY doubt this gun will ever see 1k, and shooting a 300wm at 5-600yds is easier than a 30-06 especially in NM wind. If he knows the gun is able perhaps he will work for it, besides, judging 1k without a rangefinder isn't happening.

I also have 300wm dies.

Strong consideration for the 116 FLCSS, any input welcome.

Last edited:
I agree and I suggested it, but I also think this will be the first and last gun he buys for a long long time.

Strong consideration for the 116 FLCSS, any input welcome.

There used to be a saying in the motorcycle world- "It's the ride, not the destination." I think this applies here, too. In this case, his destination is to shoot an Elk at 1000 yards.

Being that he has little rifle time under his belt, I would steer him towards something comfortable and relatively inexpensive to shoot for now. As he gets experienced, he can move up.

That is where the fun is. Learning as you go.

I normally try to talk newbies into a .22 LR, then working up since they are cheap to shoot and have no recoil. Unfortunately, if your friend has tags for this year, his window of opportunity is very short.

I think the 116 FLCSS in .270 would be the perfect rifle since he could get a lot of trigger time with a very capable Elk rifle and when he wants to move up he can buy a new barrel in one of the larger calibers and screw it on!

I should probably add that obviously the .270 is not a long range elk rifle, but in my opinion, unless he quits his job and devotes all his time and resources to shooting he will NOT be have the skills to shoot long range this fall.

If he insists on a larger caliber right off the bat, an '06 or .300 WM would be a great choice, but I'd look at putting a brake on it right out of the chute.

I have nothing bad to say about the 300wm. If it is not braked he will be starting out with a pretty heavy recoil. Although I am so over recoil I don't see my self ever carrying a hunting rifle larger than a 6.5 without a brake again. Maybe 7-08 and such. You get my point. Light weight powerful rifles are hard to shoot especially without a brake.

So I agree with you that the 300wm is a great choice. I would take the rifle straight from the store to a good smith and install a really good brake.

Steve

Let me rephrase it, he wants a gun capable of taking an elk at 1k. As I explained, the likelihood is very low, literally less than 1%. No need to confuse this w/ a guy hell bent on a 1000yd shot with a factory gun and factory ammo. Nothing about the 270 is appealing, and will not be considered.

Key word, capable. Buy a gun capable now and who knows 5yrs from now he'll have enough knowledge to execute.

He's the type that this will be the only gun he buys for a long long long time, I think I said that already.

No brakes either.

I'd go with the Savage 116 FLCSS Weather Warrior in 300 WM and brake. With practice and some good factory ammo it will be a good 600 rifle. Then in a couple years, a good aftermarket pre-fit barrel and some good handloads it could easily be a 1K rifle.

Would be hard top beat. Left hand, stainless steel, aluminum bedding block stock, good DBM, and when the barrel goes, just change it yourself.

ohio, not sure a factory rifle with factory ammo realistically is a 1000yd rifle. Perhaps with hand loads he could get close. Either will take some dedicated practice. I like the idea of a 300WM in the NM mountain winds with a heavy bullet which would need a 1:10. Good luck

I am shooting 200gr Berger Hybrids in a Tikka T3 300WM. It is the most accurate factory rifle I have ever purchased. I had a brake installed before it was ever fired and I put it on an aftermarket stock (guess that's not entirely factory but no other work done). I am shooting at 3000 ft but have no stability issues shooting at 2850 fps. The drawback is the magazine/ejection port size limiting case capacity (deeper bullet seating depth required) but it has no problem with the 1/4" jump to the lands. Would not expect a problem shooting 180gr factory loads. I never fired it with the factory stock but with the current setup I would have no problem taking a 1000 yard shot (based on shooter capability). Many good options available but I don't think he will be disappointed if choosing the Tikka 300 WM and can usually find them at reasonable cost. Muzzle brake would be an essential addition for me with 300 WM and start with a proven long range scope/mounts. You can purchase a good scope with the money spent in ammo trying to dial in a marginal one.

The mentioned rifles are on the plate. The 116 and tikka, I told him to not get too eager for the savage until he handles a tikka. Again I don't see this rifle getting regular use unless tags are drawn, and I certainly do not see it going to 1k anytime before 2020. Pursuading him to buy a $300 rangefinder is not likely.

The guy only has one eye, obviously the left one, so I don't want to blow his ears out in the event he hunts without ear protection. However I do understand the recoil, and I'm not sure how he'll handle it which is why I've also been considering a lighter caliber like 30-06 or even 6.5 creedmoor. I really like the creedmoor for him, especially its reputation with factory ammo, but there are energy concerns. Even a 308 would be enough for his lack of experience, but the possibility of high winds makes me apprehensive. I'll try to explain to him 1k gun isn't necessary.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts