What’s your five? 5 Calibers to do it all...

Hey guys,

I've been watching our threads for a while now and curiosity has got the best of me. With so many great choices out there for LRH which cartridges and calibers really set themselves apart from the rest, if any? Which ones make almost everyone's must have list? The reality is most people can't afford a half dozen rifles or more, so if you had the opportunity to hunt the world for everything from groundhogs to elephants and were limited to 5 cartridges or less what would they be? Just curious which ones consistently rise to the top and if any of the new Gucci cartridges make the cut or we wind up sticking with the tried and true. Feel free to state your reason or uses for each cartridge. I am not looking for a debate. There are no wrong answers. Everyone has there favorites. Just curious if there is any consistency? I think it could help some of the new guys narrow there choices when selecting their next cartridge....

I'll start! 308, 270 win, 300 WIn Mag, 338 RUM, 375 H&H. What are your thoughts???
12 gauge - gives me the ability to hunt birds and small game. And with slugs, can take game animals within range, as well as act as a self defense weapon in bear country.
270 win - ability to put down everything from varmints and medium sized predators (bobcats, coyotes, etc...) to just about every thin to medium skinned game animal on the planet (I know some will say to switch this with a 6.5 or 6.8 round, which is a great debate, but I just prefer the old school 270 win over its newer cousins).
308 win - I am always torn between the 308 and the 30-06. Two great, legendary rounds, but if I'm going with the 270, I don't need the legs of the 30-06. Anyways, I don't have more to add to what others have said about the 308. It is my favorite ONLY because my late grandpa, who got me into shooting, said it was his favorite.

Now then, I don't really have much experience with anything beyond 308, 30-06 and 300 WM. And I haven't been out for anything larger than whitetail deer. However, I'll round out my last two selection based off a buddy that hunts all over the world.

338WM - as he put it, "The guide I have used for several Alaska trips said that is her go to gun for hunting big game in Alaska and Canada. And she takes it to Africa. More than capable on everything except for a few animals."

416 Remington - as my buddy said, "The guide I told you about said after she was introduced to the 416 Remington while hunting in Africa, she got one after getting back here. Said it is her bush gun for when she's guiding here because it will drop anything comfortably with one shot."

Gotta try this... but adding a touch of what it should be chambered in... this touches close to home as the wife and I have thrown out the idea of when we would sell the house and move into a condo lately and I have told myself no more than 7 or 8 guns at that time.

Ok 22 lr and 12 gauge already a given... although 12 gauge for ducks and geese in a Benelli Super Black Eagle III (according to all the goose hunters we see up here, it definitely seems to be the shotgun of choice. I always ask the guides and hunters i meet) and my 20 gauge Benelli ultralight because it's a dream to carry all day pheasant hunting at 5.2 lbs.

243, 6 mm or 257 Roberts AI... for coyotes, whitetail deer in the bush and open areas in between bushes, etc.. A short barreled gun... easy handling and quick. Nice for antelope too. The 243 I used for deer this year was a M77 Ultralight. Nice to carry and I was in and out of the bush. 2 years ago it was a Sako Finnwolf hunting pockets of brush in fields and coulees. I just can't get behind the 308 Win for some reason. It's worked for me but I think when I first started hunting I seen more failures of the 308 then success from friends. I have never owner a 260 or 7mm-08 but can't see a reason why they wouldn't be in the hunt.

I didn't list a 204, 22 hornet, 223, 220 swift, 22-250 etc etc etc only because while you can (and I have used the 223 on deer once) I just feel that it's a one purpose field a bit. Good for gophers and coyotes, etc, but even with good bullets (I personally) just don't feel right taking them for deer (not the 204, etc). To me the benefit of those cartridges are that they are good and/or cheap for practicing with. But up here 223 ammo is pretty much the same price as 243 ammo.

280 AI, 6.5 RPM or 6.5 x 284... in a super lightweight such as a WBY Mark V Titanium (5 lbs and under without scope) for sheep hunting. The lightest thing possible to carry when hiking up a mountain top but still hits hard. (I don't have an RPM yet... but sure eyeing up that WBY Backcountry Ti at 4.9 lbs...)

7 WSM or 300 WSM in again a lightweight gun for whitetail / mule deer in the open prairies where your going from coulees and bush to open fields. Can do it in a lightweight gun such as Browning Mountain Ti or Kimber Montanna 8400 etc. Lightweight to carry all day but has the hitting power for long range AND... can also serve double duty just as well for elk and moose when your walking/pushing bush and then it's the end of day and your sitting on point somewhere. (Not to say my next cartridge choice can't also do this). While I like the 6.5 PRC, 6.5 Rem Mag, 270 WSM... the 7 or 300 WSMs just seem to be fantastic all around rounds and the more I play around with my 7 WSMs the more I am leaning to it as one of my have to have cartridges.

300 WM, 300 WBY or 300 RUM... in a normal weight rifle... more for driving roads, checking out fields, or where you walk out to sit behind a round bale and watch for elk coming out (200 - 600 yard shot) or watching over a big slough trying to call in a bull elk. I think I'm at 9 or 10 rifles in total chambered in these 3 cartridges alone. I think the 300 WM was my first love but it might have been Jaclyn Smith (and the young pups will be going who???) I gotta give honorable mentions to the 325 WSM here though as I have one in a Browning Mtn Ti. It's a dream to carry (6.25 lbs scoped) and with moderately hot reloads it outperforms the 338 WM out to 100 yards. Also a honorable mention for the 28 Nosler. I re-chambered a Sako Finnlight to 28 Nos. and with the clip it's proven to be a good all around gun especially when driving the countryside. Plus... it will reach out a long ways and touch something!!!

Lastly... although I doubt I will ever get a chance to go to Africa... a 375 Wby Mag. Why the Wby vs the H&H???? Of course the .375 is the minimum acceptable caliber but the Wby hits harder. If you run out of ammo, you can shoot regular 375 H&H ammo out of it so you can still hunt. But the same argument can be made for the 375 H&H AI.

But the one caliber no one mentioned here is a 50 cal muzzleloader. In Saskatchewan, if you get drawn for antelope you really really want to go out in muzzle loading season if you want a trophy. (It's before they smarten up and herd up here anyways - lol). Or even mule deer right before the rut.

I only have centerfire calibers needed for game I hunt in the lower 48.

.284 cal. 7SAUM Full Custom Build.
Coyote, Cougar, Wolf, Black bear, Antelope, Blacktail deer, Mule deer, & Elk.

.308 cal. 300 RUM or SAUM Budget Build.
Will be adding one to try, built for Longer Range stuff If I feel the need.

Last edited:
Gotta try this... but adding a touch of what it should be chambered in... this touches close to home as the wife and I have thrown out the idea of when we would sell the house and move into a condo lately and I have told myself no more than 7 or 8 guns at that time.

Ok 22 lr and 12 gauge already a given... although 12 gauge for ducks and geese in a Benelli Super Black Eagle III (according to all the goose hunters we see up here, it definitely seems to be the shotgun of choice. I always ask the guides and hunters i meet) and my 20 gauge Benelli ultralight because it's a dream to carry all day pheasant hunting at 5.2 lbs.

243, 6 mm or 257 Roberts AI... for coyotes, whitetail deer in the bush and open areas in between bushes, etc.. A short barreled gun... easy handling and quick. Nice for antelope too. The 243 I used for deer this year was a M77 Ultralight. Nice to carry and I was in and out of the bush. 2 years ago it was a Sako Finnwolf hunting pockets of brush in fields and coulees. I just can't get behind the 308 Win for some reason. It's worked for me but I think when I first started hunting I seen more failures of the 308 then success from friends. I have never owner a 260 or 7mm-08 but can't see a reason why they wouldn't be in the hunt.

I didn't list a 204, 22 hornet, 223, 220 swift, 22-250 etc etc etc only because while you can (and I have used the 223 on deer once) I just feel that it's a one purpose field a bit. Good for gophers and coyotes, etc, but even with good bullets (I personally) just don't feel right taking them for deer (not the 204, etc). To me the benefit of those cartridges are that they are good and/or cheap for practicing with. But up here 223 ammo is pretty much the same price as 243 ammo.

280 AI, 6.5 RPM or 6.5 x 284... in a super lightweight such as a WBY Mark V Titanium (5 lbs and under without scope) for sheep hunting. The lightest thing possible to carry when hiking up a mountain top but still hits hard. (I don't have an RPM yet... but sure eyeing up that WBY Backcountry Ti at 4.9 lbs...)

7 WSM or 300 WSM in again a lightweight gun for whitetail / mule deer in the open prairies where your going from coulees and bush to open fields. Can do it in a lightweight gun such as Browning Mountain Ti or Kimber Montanna 8400 etc. Lightweight to carry all day but has the hitting power for long range AND... can also serve double duty just as well for elk and moose when your walking/pushing bush and then it's the end of day and your sitting on point somewhere. (Not to say my next cartridge choice can't also do this). While I like the 6.5 PRC, 6.5 Rem Mag, 270 WSM... the 7 or 300 WSMs just seem to be fantastic all around rounds and the more I play around with my 7 WSMs the more I am leaning to it as one of my have to have cartridges.

300 WM, 300 WBY or 300 RUM... in a normal weight rifle... more for driving roads, checking out fields, or where you walk out to sit behind a round bale and watch for elk coming out (200 - 600 yard shot) or watching over a big slough trying to call in a bull elk. I think I'm at 9 or 10 rifles in total chambered in these 3 cartridges alone. I think the 300 WM was my first love but it might have been Jaclyn Smith (and the young pups will be going who???) I gotta give honorable mentions to the 325 WSM here though as I have one in a Browning Mtn Ti. It's a dream to carry (6.25 lbs scoped) and with moderately hot reloads it outperforms the 338 WM out to 100 yards. Also a honorable mention for the 28 Nosler. I re-chambered a Sako Finnlight to 28 Nos. and with the clip it's proven to be a good all around gun especially when driving the countryside. Plus... it will reach out a long ways and touch something!!!

Lastly... although I doubt I will ever get a chance to go to Africa... a 375 Wby Mag. Why the Wby vs the H&H???? Of course the .375 is the minimum acceptable caliber but the Wby hits harder. If you run out of ammo, you can shoot regular 375 H&H ammo out of it so you can still hunt. But the same argument can be made for the 375 H&H AI.

But the one caliber no one mentioned here is a 50 cal muzzleloader. In Saskatchewan, if you get drawn for antelope you really really want to go out in muzzle loading season if you want a trophy. (It's before they smarten up and herd up here anyways - lol). Or even mule deer right before the rut.
You won me with Jaclyn Smith! :)

Ok... after reading everyone's replies so far... I decided that just in case a Cape Buffalo runs past my back door (I told the wife it could happen... the zoo might get one and it could escape!!!!) A 375 H&H Ackley Improved was just added to the collection. Lol

Since this is hypothetical and since 22 lr and 12 GA are already in. I'd have to swap the 22 for the 22 mag

6.8 spc
257 Bob
284 Winchester
300 something to reach out and touch
404 Jeffery

Notable mentions 444 marlin, 41 magnum, 8x57

Ok... after reading everyone's replies so far... I decided that just in case a Cape Buffalo runs past my back door (I told the wife it could happen... the zoo might get one and it could escape!!!!) A 375 H&H Ackley Improved was just added to the collection. Lol

Now…..you can lose the other 4! 😉 With the possible exception of a dedicated varmint cartridge! memtb

Last edited: