Weird Dreams Elk Hunting

One of my favourite backpacking areas has some history attached. For generations the local Native population believed it was haunted. It was in a steep canyon next to a small river and the only place along the trail flat enough for a camp, so you either kept going for a couple more miles or took your chances and camped there. Many of the early prospectors and trappers laughed about the superstition, until they used the campsite and had the same experiences themselves. People sleeping there would wake up in the middle of the night and hear voices, but when they looked around nobody would be there. It happened regularly, sometimes more than once a night, which was usually spooky enough to keep most people awake until morning. Eventually, a few packers who were technically minded had the same experience and tried to find a more practical explanation. It turns out that a small stream of water was running under the camping area and if you put you ear to the ground long enough the sound of the water was like someone talking.

Great stories! it is amazing what your brain can do in the middle of the night in the wilderness. We didn't have bears or wolves where I used to hunt, but we had plenty of other critters. I would sometimes camp by myself during deer season. I'm not easily scared but a pack of coyotes got a hold of something about 20 yards from my tent one night. It sounded like there was a vicious fight over the prey and they were out to attack anything in the area. Those coyotes are fairly small, but can make some god awful sounds when they are fighting a few feet away. My dreams and thoughts the rest of that night were not very pleasant. Pay back the next day with two yotes taking a dirt nap courtesy of my 30.06.

Was out backpacking with a buddy in Big Burn Canyon Southwest of Ellensburg, WA. Middle of the night, my buddy yells out "Dave, Dave! Is that you?". He heard loud snuffling just outside of his tent. I yelled back in a perplexed tone "No, I'm not sniffing your tent!". Next morning we found very large dog prints all around his tent. We assumed it might have been a wolf from one of the packs in the Cascades.

My buddy was known to "forget" food items in his backpack, sleeping bag, jacket, pants... One of many reasons we had separate tents on our trips.

Was out backpacking with a buddy in Big Burn Canyon Southwest of Ellensburg, WA. Middle of the night, my buddy yells out "Dave, Dave! Is that you?". He heard loud snuffling just outside of his tent. I yelled back in a perplexed tone "No, I'm not sniffing your tent!". Next morning we found very large dog prints all around his tent. We assumed it might have been a wolf from one of the packs in the Cascades.

My buddy was known to "forget" food items in his backpack, sleeping bag, jacket, pants... One of many reasons we had separate tents on our trips.
And the Bacon you tied to his tent strings and took down each morning before he got up.....bet that had nothing to do with it!😅

I'm in the Army (supposed to shave every day) and the only dream I had was sleeping in my brothers truck elk hunting last fall. Elevation was 8500+
Dreamed I went back to work with my elk hunting beard.... I was in uniform and everything. No one said **** cuz the pandemic has turned everyone passive-aggressive.

61961C08-F615-431F-B10F-D6EF64EBFB50.gif

My wife and I were camped in a tent on a full moon night one summer up above Aspen. I heard snuffling and woke to see a bears head pressing against the tent right in front of my face. I sat up and yelled while trying to pull my handgun from the holster. I was so wound I couldn't get it unsnapped as the bear pushed harder against the tent. Without thinking I punched in the head but it scarcely moved. What the heck? My hand was stinging as I turned on the headlamp and there was a porcupine quill barely stuck in my hand. I unzipped the door and there stood porky, unfazed.

I have a reoccurring dream, been going on for many years and usually happens multiple times a year but only in the backcountry. A bear grabs me by the feet and is dragging me out of the tent/tarp or whatever sleeping setup I am using. Luckily I am not worried about animals in the woods and I sleep fairly well out there😆