Elk hunting @ 16ft

Don't forget, bullets at close range have not 'gone to sleep' (typical 100 - 125 yards) thus the rear of the bullet is still yawing significantly. This will reduce penetration, but not expansion. I suspect this is the reason, at least in part, for the bullet recovery in this case... plus, elk have some pretty stout neck muscles from carrying around those big racks! Great hunt and that's the perfect range to assure a good shot!
Cheer,
crkckr

View attachment 153151 View attachment 153150 I had the custom 28 Nosler ready for that long range shot and ended up 16ft when I sent the 175grain Nosler LRAB. It went in the base of neck broadside and found under skin. I was by myself hunting and was able to get it back whole thanks to my capstan winch.
I hope to hunt the CWMU again next year. Utah.
Wow shout out for Nosler, that bullet came through the pressure cooker.

Good for you, sounds like the stars aligned for you! You say you were hunting alone... I'll hunt with ya, you sound like a good luck charm! lol

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.