Wyoming Elk Hunting

elkhunter6767

My son and I have max preference pts and are looking for recommendations on outfitters and specific areas. Also would like to know if anyone has information on areas 30~32. Please let me know. Thanks

With max points you have lots of options. Go to the WY Game and Fish website and do some research there to start with. All the data you need is there to get you pointed in the right direction.
Also, a subscription to GoHunt is a good resource for research.
If you are looking for a fully guided hunt, the WY Guides and Outfitters Organization (I think that is the correct name) is a resource to contact for a full list of outfitters in WY.
Also, you can use the search function on various hunting forums to get some ideas on outfitters.
Typically folks don't just provide 'specific areas' to somebody on an internet forum.
Good areas are too hard to come by and giving that info away would be like handing over a large box of cash to a stranger, maybe even worse.

Good Luck

You should look up trailswestoutfitters.com. The outfitter is Josh Martoglio, who is my second cousin. He is located in Cody, Wyoming. I don't know the area # where he hunts, but they take some incredible bulls there. I do know it takes max points to draw there. He also has a Facebook page under Trails West Outfitters. Check out both, you won't be disappointed.

You should look up trailswestoutfitters.com. The outfitter is Josh Martoglio, who is my second cousin. He is located in Cody, Wyoming. I don't know the area # where he hunts, but they take some incredible bulls there. I do know it takes max points to draw there. He also has a Facebook page under Trails West Outfitters. Check out both, you won't be disappointed.
Did that used to be Bob Sundeens outfit? I might have spelled his name incorrectly

I'm not sure who the previous owner was. I do know that his camp is on the Greybull River, west of Meeteetse Wyoming. The area he hunts is a wintering area for elk that have migrated out of the high country, so it's best in November.

My son and I have max preference pts and are looking for recommendations on outfitters and specific areas. Also would like to know if anyone has information on areas 30~32. Please let me know. Thanks
I hope your talking about next year because the draw has ended. Just sayin'. Bull Mtn's advice is good. Great area and beautiful. He's killed some nice bulls there . đź‘Ť

I will second the recommendation on Josh Martoglio. I hunted with him a few years ago in 61 and it was great. With max points he might recommend you trying to draw one of the other Cody late hunts also ( unless you really need to draw next year for sure ).

I live here, if you have max points, and want a unique elk hunt with great chances at 340 bulls and a legitimate chance at a 360+ bull, I strongly suggest you look at area 100. This is what Eastman said about it this year -

1. Area 100-1: As usual, the Area 100 elk hunt hits the list due to its nearly perfect track record in almost every measurable element. With a newly increased quota to 200 bull tags instead of the historic 100, this hunt is a tick easier to draw as of recently. This hunt will still take max points to have a good chance at a tag here, however with the new higher quota there are a few tags available in the random draw which for low point holders looking for a lightning strike on something very lucky this tag would be a great long shot option. A stealer 95% hunter success average on branch antlered bulls is very hard to argue with on this hunt. This is the easiest elk hunt in the state of Wyoming but finding a true giant here can be very tough on most years. The bulls in here are generally in the 300 to 340 range. But there are lots of them. The bull to cow ratio here is extremely high and the herd continues to expand into the masses of desert terrain in this massive elk unit. The first two weeks of the hunt here will still see some heavy rutting action and the bowhunt in here is about as good as it gets in Wyoming. Due to the extremely high hunter success, massive area, favorably long season and easy terrain this hunt scores a perfect 100 out of 100 again this year.
OVERALL SCORE: 100/100

Last edited:
Imagine pronghorn hunting, but instead your looking for a 360 bull. Pretty much what area 100 is. Seems strange seeing a herd of elk in the middle of a desert, but it is also pretty awesome. My sister and brother in law have a small ranch in the area, I have glassed bulls there before....legit monsters live in that desert, and they are easy to get.

If you want to break your back in the high country, ride in on horses and see some gorgeous mountains, and need a horse or several friends or days to get your elk out, and live out of a spike camp, and worry about bears, this is not your hunt. If you want to see a ridiculous amount of bulls, a lot of which from a vehicle, and live out of a camper or hotel, and possibly be able to drive within a couple hundred yards of a massive dead bull you shot, area 100 is fantastic. I personally get plenty of time in the back country packing in and getting mulies and elk, a hunt like that would be a nice break for me, I would go for it myself!

I live here, if you have max points, and want a unique elk hunt with great chances at 340 bulls and a legitimate chance at a 360+ bull, I strongly suggest you look at area 100. This is what Eastman said about it this year -

1. Area 100-1: As usual, the Area 100 elk hunt hits the list due to its nearly perfect track record in almost every measurable element. With a newly increased quota to 200 bull tags instead of the historic 100, this hunt is a tick easier to draw as of recently. This hunt will still take max points to have a good chance at a tag here, however with the new higher quota there are a few tags available in the random draw which for low point holders looking for a lightning strike on something very lucky this tag would be a great long shot option. A stealer 95% hunter success average on branch antlered bulls is very hard to argue with on this hunt. This is the easiest elk hunt in the state of Wyoming but finding a true giant here can be very tough on most years. The bulls in here are generally in the 300 to 340 range. But there are lots of them. The bull to cow ratio here is extremely high and the herd continues to expand into the masses of desert terrain in this massive elk unit. The first two weeks of the hunt here will still see some heavy rutting action and the bowhunt in here is about as good as it gets in Wyoming. Due to the extremely high hunter success, massive area, favorably long season and easy terrain this hunt scores a perfect 100 out of 100 again this year.
OVERALL SCORE: 100/100
Cody, give me a call I would love to talk to you.
Bob
414-254-3560