Colorado elk hunting

SCdeerhunter

Hey guys, so I'm moving to Colorado next May and would like some advice on where to start with elk hunting. Moving from SC so I have zero experience hunting elk or Backcountry type hunts. Moving to the Durango area in SW Co. From what I've read there appears to be a lot of public land available to hunt. Just wanna shorten the learning curve as much as possible if that's even possible. Also, what would y'all say the absolute essentials are regarding gear. Thanks guys

Start watching and listening to all of Randy Newberg's content online and on TV. He has taught me a lot about elk hunting and I'm a new elk hunter as well.

Tons of great public land in that area. As in all western public land hunting you need good boots, great glass( and use them), be in shape and a will to work harder than the next guy. If you do that you will do just fine

Start watching and listening to all of Randy Newberg's content online and on TV. He has taught me a lot about elk hunting and I'm a new elk hunter as well.
I'll be sure to check his stuff out. Thanks!
Tons of great public land in that area. As in all western public land hunting you need good boots, great glass( and use them), be in shape and a will to work harder than the next guy. If you do that you will do just fine
Yeah im trying to go ahead and get the gear list together so im not scrambling next year when I give it a shot. Fortunately, im already in good shape. Im sure the altitude will take a little getting used to but other than that I should be ok.

Take a good look at their hunting regs as public land deer tags are all a draw some of the surrounding area will take some preference points to draw. I think there are some early hunts that aren't as hard to draw. Should be some over the counter bull elk in that area.

Being able to shoot 400-700 yards across canyons will help a lot. There are closer opportunities but seems my average shots are around 4-500 yards hunting similar type country

Take a good look at their hunting regs as public land deer tags are all a draw some of the surrounding area will take some preference points to draw. I think there are some early hunts that aren't as hard to draw. Should be some over the counter bull elk in that area.

Being able to shoot 400-700 yards across canyons will help a lot. There are closer opportunities but seems my average shots are around 4-500 yards hunting similar type country
Yeah the regulations out there are way different than im used to here in the south. Feel like I need a lawyer to tell me what I can and can't do lol. And just picked up my new custom long range rifle today so im about to start spending a lot of time shooting (already spend a lot of time shooting but you get what im saying) to get used to the longer shots out there.

There are a few similar threads just a bit further down with info you are seeking and some external links to more good info. Take a look at then if you can.

There is a lot of information on the Colorado Parks and Wildlife website. Check out their Hunting Atlas to see where the animals hang out in the summer and winter. And check out the harvest results from past years. 2016 was a odd weather year so some of the results were slim.

Area 75 and 751 supposely hold about 30% of Colorado's Elk population according to the DOW. The Weminuche Wilderness is a huge are that is very accesable if you are willing to hike in about 6-10 miles a day or hike in and set up camp. There are some honey holes near roads but most of the locals have those pretty much covered. Hunt Deer down by Sauls Creek and Elk east of Missionary Ridge and you should be fine. There are also some nice bucks south of Bayfield on the Buck Hwy and quite a bit of public land down there, there are Elk down there too but the rarely leave the Ute Indian Reservation and it is off limits unless you have a Ute Friend that will take you on. Talk to the Oil field workers in that area, they scout all day everday.

My advice is get a map of the trails and start hiking. Pay attention to your surroundings and learn from them. Go at it like if you were hunting, be quiet pay attention to the wind and look for game. Don't be afraid to go off the beaten path, if you are worried about finding the way back get a gps. It's a good idea to have one (GPS) with hunt maps anyway. It is one of the best pieces of equipment you can have in this area. It will keep you out of trouble as well.
What brings you to Durango?

There is a lot of information on the Colorado Parks and Wildlife website. Check out their Hunting Atlas to see where the animals hang out in the summer and winter. And check out the harvest results from past years. 2016 was a odd weather year so some of the results were slim.
Thanks, I'll read some more on their website.

Area 75 and 751 supposely hold about 30% of Colorado's Elk population according to the DOW. The Weminuche Wilderness is a huge are that is very accesable if you are willing to hike in about 6-10 miles a day or hike in and set up camp. There are some honey holes near roads but most of the locals have those pretty much covered. Hunt Deer down by Sauls Creek and Elk east of Missionary Ridge and you should be fine. There are also some nice bucks south of Bayfield on the Buck Hwy and quite a bit of public land down there, there are Elk down there too but the rarely leave the Ute Indian Reservation and it is off limits unless you have a Ute Friend that will take you on. Talk to the Oil field workers in that area, they scout all day everday.
Good idea. I planned on talking to a game warden too. Figured they could point me in the right direction and make sure im legal

My advice is get a map of the trails and start hiking. Pay attention to your surroundings and learn from them. Go at it like if you were hunting, be quiet pay attention to the wind and look for game. Don't be afraid to go off the beaten path, if you are worried about finding the way back get a gps. It's a good idea to have one (GPS) with hunt maps anyway. It is one of the best pieces of equipment you can have in this area. It will keep you out of trouble as well.
What brings you to Durango?
Yeah I plan on walking as many trails as I can to check it out. Plus to help me get acclimated to the altitude. And im changing jobs to work for my brother in law. So relocating for that.

Good luck on your new job and welcome to the area. I live west of Durango and north of Cortez and wouldn't be anywhere else.

Good luck on your new job and welcome to the area. I live west of Durango and north of Cortez and wouldn't be anywhere else.

Thanks! Yeah my wife and I went to Colorado springs last Christmas and fell in love with the mountains and landscape. Being from coastal SC we had never seen any real mountains before that.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.