Colorado elk hunt

.gacton

Looks like I'm going back this fall. It's got me thinking about something. My hunting partners and I have a couple of options for a drop camp. There will be three of us. Wonder how everyone else picks their areas and outfitter. OTC, second rifle. Don't really want a guide. Not looking for a record book elk, but a good trip in an acceptable unit. We are looking at 71 this year. Hunted 80 two years ago. DIY in 80 is also on the table. Thoughts?

If you have experience with 80 then stick with it and continue to learn it. If it's otc there are elk there, you just have to work to find them. Don't get wrapped up into unit stats, the data is from hunters surveys. If you want a drop camp, make the phone calls and ask for references, shot opportunities etc. Just know that YOUR hard work is what creates opportunity. Have fun and enjoy the process. Best wishes to you and your party.

I generally don't hire guides either. However, if you can't scout the area and learn their travel patterns, you're going to have an extensive camping trip. By the time you factor the fixed costs (license, travel, food, time off work....), guides aren't really that expensive. Finding a good guide is difficult though.
I wish you luck regardless of which way you go.

I generally don't hire guides either. However, if you can't scout the area and learn their travel patterns, you're going to have an extensive camping trip. By the time you factor the fixed costs (license, travel, food, time off work....), guides aren't really that expensive. Finding a good guide is difficult though.
I wish you luck regardless of which way you go.
Having time to scout the area is out. I have no problem with guides, or those that hire them. No doubt, they should know the area better than me. I guess I'm just hard headed. I want to do it myself.🤷 The point of this thread was to see how someone else is deciding where to go. What are the determining factors? I have been using the CPW hunt planner map, looking at summer/winter ranges and the migration routes between the two. Also using OnX looking at the terrain. Has there been a fire recently? Has there been any logging recently? Water source? Meadows versus thick timber.
Thanks for the input so far. And as far as 80 goes, the outfitter we used before is already booked. So anywhere we would go would be new ground.

Sounds like you wish to do it on your own so by all means do so. Forget the guided trip and forget the drop camp (they're obviously doing a lot of work for you) and get after it.

Sounds like you've spent some time in 80 so like others before me have said get after 80.