Colorado elk hunt

What season are you hunting? I'm from PA and have hunted PA and GA and was really surprised to come up empty handed on my first year. Bottom line is most western animals really migrate alot from September to January and back again. This past fall the drought and fires put a whole new spin on things that screwed us all up.

I grew up in 37-371 hunted all of it. There is a lot of diversity between those four units. I-70 runs right through the middle 44-45 most of the bottom ground is private (condos, high end homes)east side of 45 is the back side of Vail ski area lot of hikers out doors people that time of year. 36 has walk in access of of I-70 but may be 3-5 mile to get over the the first ridge where he elk will be. 35 has limited access from the back side. Good elk but plan on getting away from people.

We are going to be prepared to have to go deep to get away from other hunters and find elk thanks a bunch for that info

Get the on-x hunt app, it helps alot

Also, colorao has an online atlas that allows you to look up migration routs, winter concentrations, etc and print them all out if you prefer paper maps.

Just be ready to see lots of hunters for a whe, especially on weekends.

The onx map has a "road access" overlay map, it will show you in shaded purple how far an area is away from road access

Might consider a sat phone rental or one of those "sat texting " services for emergencies--- a lot of the "out of the way" areas don't have cell service so make sure you download the onx maps before loosing service.