Magazine restrictions Colorado Elk hunt

knc1105

The rule on magazine restrictions in Colorado is 5 rds. Is that capacity or what you have in it? I have gotten several different answers and my (2)-375 Rugers have 2-rd detachable mags, I had a 7- round mag made for each one. Can I just have 5 on the rifle or will the potential capacity for two more get me in trouble?

I believe it is 3 total for a bolt gun (2 down and one in the tube) and 6 for semi-autos In the mag and chamber combined. I will double check when I get home.

Last edited:
I believe it is 3 total for a bolt gun (2 down and one in the tube) and 6 for semi-autos In the mag and chamber combined. I will double check when I get home.
WOW, well we blew it then. If you know and could post I would appreciate it. The Savage 375's are 2+1 with the factory mag, the stainless Howa 1500 in 375 is 3+1 so if I only have 3 in the rifle total but have capacity for one more is that illegal? A buddy going with us wanted to borrow it. Yes I like 375 Rugers. 375 H & H knockdown in a 7 lb rifle

Quoted straight from the official regulations;
"#203 - MANNER OF TAKE See also #000 in Chapter 0 of these regulations for other applicable manner of take definitions. A. The following are legal methods of take for all species and seasons listed in this chapter, except as otherwise noted. Any method of take not listed herein shall be prohibited, except as otherwise provided by statute or these regulations: 1. Rifles using center-fire cartridges of .24 caliber or larger, having expanding bullets of at least seventy (70) grains in weight, except for elk and moose where the minimum bullet weight is eighty-five (85) grains, and with a rated impact energy one hundred (100) yards from the muzzle of at least one thousand (1000) foot pounds as determined by the manufacturer's rating, and except for mountain lion where any center-fire rifle using bullets of at least 45 grains and producing at least 400 foot pounds of energy at the 6 muzzle may be used. Provided further that any semiautomatic rifle used shall not hold more than six (6) rounds in the magazine and chamber combined. A fully automatic rifle is prohibited."

I take that as meaning that the only restriction is on semi-autos.

Just called the DOW office in Colorado Springs and they said that there is no specific regulation for capacity while big game hunting except for on semi-autos.

Well I really appreciate all the posts and the help. I was online reading till my eyes crossed and saw the semi auto but nothing about the bolt guns. Thank You VERY Much

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.