Elk Hunting Montrose Colorado

johnnylw

My brother and I are going to be in Montrose CO. For our first Elk hunt.
This will be our first hunting trip out West. I have been fortunate to take a couple vacations out West and I absolutely loved it. Any information or tips anyone can give will be greatly appreciated. We will be hunting the 2nd hunt.
Thanks in advance

I have not hunted in that area at all so I won't be of much help, but it will probably help to let people know what unit you are hunting. As far as general tips, be sure to check out some of the other threads here. There is a lot of good information for a newbie elk hunter.

The main thing may be to remember to have a good time because just being out in that country is great and the odds are not that great for a person going out on their first hunt. Have fun, be safe, and do what the previous member suggested.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not 100% sure the exact area were gonna be hunting. I believe we will be around 20 miles South of Montrose. Trust me, we are very excited about visiting Colorado. Some of the most beautiful land in the world.

Johnnylw,

I'm hunting 2nd Season as well.

I picked out my spots using the Colorado Big Game atlas...

Colorado Hunting Atlas

Its sort of like Google earth, but it has overlays of GMUs, public/private land, forest service offices, etc.....Play around on this for a little while and some of your questions will be answered....New ones will be generated.

Also useful on this map tool is the Big game Pattern of Life overlays. Look at the Summer and Winter Elk Concentration of the GMU you want to go. Pick some spots that you feel promising. Write them down/pencil them in on a hard copy map.

Did a quick search on this Atlas....Look at the National forest thats in GMU 62/West of Montrose. Elk big game overlays show that its a pretty decent area. Also, decent migration corridores in GMU 65.

Also look at getting a National Geographic Trails Illustrated Map. This is useful in showing the terrain in greater detail as well as trails in the area. Also, you can do some table top planning. EXAMPLE: 206- Yosemite National Park, CA (National Geographic Trails Illustrated Map): National Geographic Maps: 9781566952996: Amazon.com: Books

Colorado Atlas is useful too.
Colorado Atlas and Gazetteer: DeLorme Mapping Company: 9780975937402: Amazon.com: Books

Look at maps, look at terrain, consider weather conditions in the mountains of colorado during OCT, look at the ELK patterns of life according to the Colorado big game atlas.....

Draft up a list of questions....

example:
1) Where do most hunters go in this GMU during 2nd rifle season? (stay away from these areas)
2) Where are the elk hiding within this GMU during 2nd rifle season?
3) Is this road open during october?
4) What areas are hard for people to get to? (Go to these areas)
5) Can my car make it down this unimproved road?
6) Can I have a drop camp in this spot?
7) Can I have a camp fire?
8) Do i Need to make a bear bag for my camp site?
9) Is this stream running year round so I have a reliable water supply?
10) can i park my car here?
11) What are typical weather conditions for this area?

Call the game warden for this GMU. You can get this from the colorado big game atlas....Just click on the nearest Colorado Parks and Wildlife Icon on the map for that GMU. A phone number for that office will show up. Call that and ask for elk information for that GMU....They will then give you the office or cell number for the Warden in charge of that area.

CDOW Area 18 Office/2300 South Townsend Ave/ Montrose, CO/970-252-6000

Once you get the Game Warden's Point of Contact...Just Before you call them...
Find a quite spot/Lay out all your maps/Colorado GMU reference/Colorado Atlas/Notes/Questions/Pen&paper

Call the warden, provide introductions, state why calling. Ask if they have any information on elk hunting in this GMU. If they answer any of your questions, cross them off. As the warden is giving their tips/information, you can quickly reference these areas on the maps you already have layed out. You may come up with additional questions as they are giving tips and you are looking at the map. Ask your questions that have not been answered.

Altitude in the national forest in GMU 62 in approx 2500 ft. Be aware of the altitude change from arkansas to colorado. Look up acute mountain sickness (AMS/Altitude sickness). Move slowly, drink water, take deep breaths. Go at spot and stalk pace to conserve energy. Bring water purification if you plan on water resupplying in the field. Tell game warden where your camp will be and when you plan on leaving.

regards

Bread scout,
Thanks so much for the info and tips, I will definitely follow your tips ans maybe we can find a good spot to hunt. Thanks so much and good luck on your hunt.
Where are you located?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.