.308 elk hunting

Prone off a rest (bipod)?
Hadn't and never needed it. I find it interesting trying to lay down and shoot. I generally find the brush in my way to see. I do rest or set my rifle to something that doesn't move. Or should I say steady the rifle. Never standing, and if possible all shots are steady. I'll let go by rather than wound it. The other is postions is sitting.

I got an elk hunt coming up in November and the gun I'm taking is a .308 Winchester with a 22in barrel. I have Varget powder and BR-2 primers that I am using. I have Barnes 168gr ttsx, 200gr Hornady eldx, 185gr Berger classic hunter, and Barnes 180gr ttsx. I've ran tests with the Barnes 168gr ttsx and I've gotten the best accuracy with 40.5 gr of powder and a OAL of 2.800. The only problem with that is I only get a muzzle velocity of 1514 fps. I want to be able to take a shot out to 500 yards max, and by max I mean absolutely last resort. Mostly I want to plan for a shot below 350. Now I know people will say to just bump up the powder, but I am a firm believer in accuracy and shot placement over things like fps and kenetic energy. I also know that fps and kenetic energy aren't irrelevant and do play a large roll in ethically harvesting an animal. The problem was as I went up in powder my .211in group went to a .847in group. Just wanted some opinions on the best option.
Do a search.... on this site.terrific info on the 308....over 1000 replies....powders used.... speeds gotten and bullets used...

..it'll drop any elk you can hit like a blank from a tall dawgs hinny ... don't worry about group size, your shooting at a beachball sized target and a chest hit anywhere will take him out..just use a GOOD BULLET !!