Water Well Issues

Grew up on well and spring water find a good driller and Witcher. Last well at home ranch is 720 feet at .5 gallon.
New well punched in 200 yds away 2 years ago on piece sold to stay farming 400' and 10 gallon. Main spring still producing 15 gallon for last 45 years still spilling over the top and running down the draw.
I will vote I have very little faith it will matter anymore as we have allowed corruption and sinful actions to be the norm. I will just pray and believe my GOD will keep me alive and well.

WOW how deep did you drill? Makes us feel lucky if we only spend another $5k.
We may also look at drilling an extension on our 400' well opposed to Fracking. It's all luck from what I see.
Our well is about 550 feet. It's all limestone & gravel (caliche). That coupled with the fact that 30% of California's population seems to be moving here, They are cutting up ranch land faster than they can drill wells. The weel & septic people around here just ask their price.

I spent another $2k on an iron buster about a month after the new well. Wife said the water smelled.....geez they are picky sometimes

I wish you guys the best of luck. You gotta have good water!

Witching is a real thing! Anyone can do it but some are awesome at it!
My father in law came to witch ours and could hardly walk enough to do it. We had a huge laugh doing it though.

I had the most honest guy from VT come in for a set price. He jumped out of his truck with a branch up on his forehead and almost got hit in the chest when he hit a vein. He then did this bobbing thing and counted how deep. His dad wasn't happy as that stick kept going...

The well next door is 550 with 1 gallon per minute and the pump is set at 500.
We hit 8-10 at 320 and he came back the next day and went further on his dime basically. We have great tasting water it is hard but no iron. When I thanked him profusely he just said "I never want to come back so we do it right." I am still so grateful I have sent him lots of referrals.
I think that i may become a "Water Witcher". Have heard unbelievable stories and how they can find water. I believe it!

I just spoke with a local well guy this morning. He said the cost of price of material has tripled in the last year, if he can get it. Well casing has gone from $3.00 per foot to $10.00 and the wire for $1.00 to $3.00. he said the average well was 700 feet deep. Those 2 items alone add 6300.00 to the cost and that doesn't count for fuel cost or other related items .

Len,
Has anyone evaluated the well pump screen? Slow plugging over time can also present lower gpm. If I recall granite can present this risk due to poor aquifer filtration thus allowing more risk to well pump screen.

I would definitely consider storage tanks to offset low gpm.

You are playing a lot of bad cards lately and hope you can find a cost effective solution.

Last edited:
Len,
Has anyone evaluated the well pump screen? Slow plugging over time can also present lower gpm. If I recall granite can present this risk due to poor aquifer filtration thus allowing more risk to well pump screen.

I would definitely consider storage tanks to offset low gpm.

You are playing a lot of bad cards lately and hope you can find a coat effective solution.
Thanks for asking.
We have GREAT water to drink and wash. No need for any machines to add or take out of the water. We just use a particle filter.
We have had problems with slow recovery since well was drilled. We had the well techs here several times over the years and the 2 GPM has declined over the years. We did testing with sonic equipment and water basically trickles in. (I could pee a lot faster).
We kept putting off the Fracking due to money, now it has to be done.

I've always thought witching was bullhockey till I watched a person I know very well just whip out some Tig wire and put a 90 in the end and then proceed to locate every power wire I had buried, with zero surface indicator and knowing for certain he had no idea where they were. It blew my mind just knowing the person and the situation, can't explain it but something is happening!!
Another guy I know sank a well out on a poverty flat that no one has hit water on and nail 30+ gal. Only yards away from a dry one, water is an odd deal!!
I grew up on a place the house well was deep and so much iron it would eat everything and could not be drank, half mile away was an artitian well that bubbled the sweetest cold water you could find.