Water Well Issues

Grew up on well and spring water find a good driller and Witcher. Last well at home ranch is 720 feet at .5 gallon.
New well punched in 200 yds away 2 years ago on piece sold to stay farming 400' and 10 gallon. Main spring still producing 15 gallon for last 45 years still spilling over the top and running down the draw.
I will vote I have very little faith it will matter anymore as we have allowed corruption and sinful actions to be the norm. I will just pray and believe my GOD will keep me alive and well.

WOW how deep did you drill? Makes us feel lucky if we only spend another $5k.
We may also look at drilling an extension on our 400' well opposed to Fracking. It's all luck from what I see.
Our well is about 550 feet. It's all limestone & gravel (caliche). That coupled with the fact that 30% of California's population seems to be moving here, They are cutting up ranch land faster than they can drill wells. The weel & septic people around here just ask their price.

I spent another $2k on an iron buster about a month after the new well. Wife said the water smelled.....geez they are picky sometimes

I wish you guys the best of luck. You gotta have good water!

Witching is a real thing! Anyone can do it but some are awesome at it!
My father in law came to witch ours and could hardly walk enough to do it. We had a huge laugh doing it though.

I had the most honest guy from VT come in for a set price. He jumped out of his truck with a branch up on his forehead and almost got hit in the chest when he hit a vein. He then did this bobbing thing and counted how deep. His dad wasn't happy as that stick kept going...

The well next door is 550 with 1 gallon per minute and the pump is set at 500.
We hit 8-10 at 320 and he came back the next day and went further on his dime basically. We have great tasting water it is hard but no iron. When I thanked him profusely he just said "I never want to come back so we do it right." I am still so grateful I have sent him lots of referrals.
I think that i may become a "Water Witcher". Have heard unbelievable stories and how they can find water. I believe it!

I just spoke with a local well guy this morning. He said the cost of price of material has tripled in the last year, if he can get it. Well casing has gone from $3.00 per foot to $10.00 and the wire for $1.00 to $3.00. he said the average well was 700 feet deep. Those 2 items alone add 6300.00 to the cost and that doesn't count for fuel cost or other related items .

Len,
Has anyone evaluated the well pump screen? Slow plugging over time can also present lower gpm. If I recall granite can present this risk due to poor aquifer filtration thus allowing more risk to well pump screen.

I would definitely consider storage tanks to offset low gpm.

You are playing a lot of bad cards lately and hope you can find a cost effective solution.

Last edited:
Len,
Has anyone evaluated the well pump screen? Slow plugging over time can also present lower gpm. If I recall granite can present this risk due to poor aquifer filtration thus allowing more risk to well pump screen.

I would definitely consider storage tanks to offset low gpm.

You are playing a lot of bad cards lately and hope you can find a coat effective solution.
Thanks for asking.
We have GREAT water to drink and wash. No need for any machines to add or take out of the water. We just use a particle filter.
We have had problems with slow recovery since well was drilled. We had the well techs here several times over the years and the 2 GPM has declined over the years. We did testing with sonic equipment and water basically trickles in. (I could pee a lot faster).
We kept putting off the Fracking due to money, now it has to be done.

I've always thought witching was bullhockey till I watched a person I know very well just whip out some Tig wire and put a 90 in the end and then proceed to locate every power wire I had buried, with zero surface indicator and knowing for certain he had no idea where they were. It blew my mind just knowing the person and the situation, can't explain it but something is happening!!
Another guy I know sank a well out on a poverty flat that no one has hit water on and nail 30+ gal. Only yards away from a dry one, water is an odd deal!!
I grew up on a place the house well was deep and so much iron it would eat everything and could not be drank, half mile away was an artitian well that bubbled the sweetest cold water you could find.

Well it's back to the "Water Well" again. We never pulled the trigger on getting our Water Well "Fracked". Didn't want to spend the money at the time. We just watched how much water we used and i put a special Pressure Switch in that when the water went down to 28#s of pressure the pump would shut off and I would have to put it back on manually when the water came back up in the pipe. The shut off switch prevents the pump from constantly running.
Jill and I were talking last week with our financial advisor about our IRA and 401k and figuring out a budget. Having a house you have to plan for costly maintenance. Water Heater, Washer, Dryer, Fridge, Range, Dishwasher, Garage Doors, Hardwood Floors Refinished, Well Pump, Landscaping, Fences Stained, Vehicle Repair, and Vehicles getting Hit & Run.
Luckily we already had a new roof 10 years ago, Gutters & Covers, last year, Heat Pump/Air Conditioner/Handling unit two yeas ago. new Decks and Stained, Outside House & some Inside Painted three years ago. So we started talking about getting our Water Well "Fracked" and hopefully get more water and not have to drill another well. Wanted to do it before we ran out and stuck with no water.

Yesterday WE RAN OUT OF WATER, but came back today so our water recovery is too low. Several years ago I was quoted $5K just to Frack. I figured that with everything going up it would be at least $8k today to just Frack.
I went to a Well Drilling company that put our well in originally and ran into the owner. He is an elder gentleman and I show him his respect. He saw that I was a Marine Vet and he told me he would Frack for $3.5k with no Labor Charge and also put in a 1HP 10 GPM Pump and all new high grade Wire in our 400' Well . Everything for $5,600 total. I guess that he is giving me material cost and no labor because I'm a Marine Veteran.
There are still some good people that care about Veterans!
Told me he would send one of his workers down today to check how to get the equipment into the field and where the well is drilled. Going to get it done next week depending on the weather.
Hopefully we will get a few more GPM and not run out water every time I use the pressure washer or take long showers. We feel Blessed to finally get another headache fixed.

Last edited:
Well it's back to the "Water Well" again. We never pulled the trigger on getting our Watwe Wel "Fracked". Didn't want to spend the money at the time. We just watched how much water we used and i put a special Pressure Switch in that when the water went down to 28#s of pressure the pump would shut off and I would have to put it back on manually when the water came back up in the pipe. The shut off switch prevents the pump from constantly running.
Jill and I were talking last week with our financial advisor about our IRA and 401k and figuring out a budget. Having a house you have to plan for costly maintenance. Water Heater, Washer, Dryer, Fridge, Range, Dishwasher, Garage Doors, Hardwood Floors Refinished, Well Pump, Landscaping, Fences Stained, Vehicle Repair, and Vehicles getting Hit & Run.
Luckily we already had a new roof 10 years ago, Gutters & Covers, last year, Heat Pump/Air Conditioner/Handling unit two yeas ago. new Decks and Stained, Outside House & some Inside Painted three years ago. So we started talking about getting our Water Well "Fracked" and hopefully get more water and not have to drill another well. Wanted to do it before we ran out and stuck with no water.

Yesterday WE RAN OUT OF WATER, but came back today so our water recovery is too low. Several years ago I was quoted $5K just to Frack. I figured that with everything going up it would be at least $8k today to just Frack.
I went to a Well Drilling company that put our well in originally and ran into the owner. He is an elder gentleman and I show him his respect. He saw that I was a Marine Vet and he told me he would Frack for $3.5k with no Labor Charge and also put in a 1HP 10 GPM Pump and all new high grade Wire in our 400' Well . Everything for $5,600 total. I guess that he is giving me material cost and no labor because I'm a Marine Veteran.
There are still some good people that care about Veterans!
Told me he would send one of his workers down today to check how to get the equipment into the field and where the well is drilled. Going to get it done next week depending on the weather.
Hopefully we will get a few more GPM and not run out water every time I use the pressure washer or take long showers. We feel Blessed to finally get another headache fixed.
Not sure which is worse on dealing with, rock or sand? Rock would be tough to drill and fracking (depending on how it's fracked) can cave it in. Air frack (high pressure) vs explosive? Are they pulling the casing before fracking? If not, it's putting holes in the casing which isn't good! With rock you might not need casing? I have no experience in that area.

Not sure which is worse on dealing with, rock or sand? Rock would be tough to drill and fracking (depending on how it's fracked) can cave it in. Air frack (high pressure) vs explosive? Are they pulling the casing before fracking? If not, it's putting holes in the casing which isn't good! With rock you might not need casing? I have no experience in that area.
I did extensive research on this for years now and just have to do it and getting a great price. The owner of this Drilling company has been doing this for 50+ years with a stable work crew. He and his crew are very experienced in Drilling and Fracking especially in this aera.
This Hydrofracking is done with a Packing Bladder placed up to 40' below the Metal Casing against the drilled rock. We have GRANITE Rock here and 400' drilled 6" hole through it.
After the "Bladder is placed they put several thousand lbs of pressure in it to hold in place. Then the well is filled with water at 150 gpm and when filled they pressurize the 340' of drilled rock below the "Bladder" up to,4,500 psi. This extreme pressure forces opens all the Fissures in the Granite and hopefully opens up where the water veins are. Hoping to get 10gpm extra. But might not get any or a 1 gpm. It all depends on where the cracks in granite are and the water vein.
Have neighbors down & up the road same time drilled 15 years ago. One has 100' and 10GPM, (only 100 yds away from our well), another 200' and 12GPM, (250 yds away) and another one 250' and 8GPM (300 yds away).
It all depends if you hit the right spot! I hope to get a good supply of water and should have done this years ago. Just hope that I don't hit the water veins where all my neighbors are getting their water and dry their wells out.

I did extensive research on this for years now and just have to do it and getting a great price. The owner of this Drilling company has been doing this for 50+ years with a stable work crew. He and his crew are very experienced in Drilling and Fracking especially in this aera.
This Hydrofracking is done with a Packing Bladder placed up to 40' below the Metal Casing against the drilled rock. We have GRANITE Rock here and 400' drilled 6" hole through it.
After the "Bladder is placed they put several thousand lbs of pressure in it to hold in place. Then the well is filled with water at 150 gpm and when filled they pressurize the 340' of drilled rock below the "Bladder" up to,4,500 psi. This extreme pressure forces opens all the Fissures in the Granite and hopefully opens up where the water veins are. Hoping to get 10gpm extra. But might not get any or a 1 gpm. It all depends on where the cracks in granite are and the water vein.
Have neighbors down & up the road same time drilled 15 years ago. One has 100' and 10GPM, (only 100 yds away from our well), another 200' and 12GPM, (250 yds away) and another one 250' and 8GPM (300 yds away).
It all depends if you hit the right spot! I hope to get a good supply of water and should have done this years ago. Just hope that I don't hit the water veins where all my neighbors are getting their water and dry their wells out.
I've never seen hydro fracking, but sounds to be a better solution for water wells. Hope all works out and you get better, ie, more volume of water

Glad to hear you are getting help with this! Runnibg out of water is never good. There are still a few good people that aren't consumed with money. I have a small home remodeling business and have probably given away as much as I have taken in this year. I help everyone I can, because one day it might be me in need. Home repair business has a bad name and rightfully so. There are so many crooks taking advantage of people in need.
I will step off my soap box now.

Glad to hear you are getting help with this! Runnibg out of water is never good. There are still a few good people that aren't consumed with money. I have a small home remodeling business and have probably given away as much as I have taken in this year. I help everyone I can, because one day it might be me in need. Home repair business has a bad name and rightfully so. There are so many crooks taking advantage of people in need.
I will step off my soap box now.
God Bless you and Paying it Forward has it's rewards. The more we give the more we receive!

Recent Posts