Water Well Issues

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
We bought our house 15 years ago and had issues with our water ever since. It's 400' deep and was supposed to give 2 gal per minute. It never did produce that much and recovery after the water level went down below 300' takes a day or two. We were going to have the Well Driller HydroFRACK our well 12 years ago, but no guarantee we would get more water. So we watched how much water we used and I sometimes over did it with pressure washing the decks, house or Fences. Six years ago we got a quoted price of $3k to Frack our Well. Today it is $5K.
Nine months ago our A/C went out and that was $10,800. Was told the that EPA is looking to change the type of coolant currently being used within the next two years and Heating/Air systems are going to greatly increase.
A new well is $13 per foot to drill+ $17 per foot for the PVC water pipe. No guarantee for a specific amount of water per minute.
I have known the owner for 15 years and he said these times for equipment & supplies is the worst he ever saw and can't keep up the prices of everything going up. He said he may have to go out of business after 37 years if this economy keeps going the way it is going. His last words to me on our conversation was
"GO VOTE"

I've dealt with well issues quite a bit as I sold a lot of farms and acreages as well as rural properties with wells. Did your well person tell you when the next aquifer is? in our area they can pull the maps and tell you exactly what footage they hit them especially when they have been in business as long as your well company has. Also is he saying he will have to replace all the well pipe as usually that is not the case? Lastly did they install a new pump last time or checked to see that it is the appropriate size?
It really sucks having water issues as I grew up with that, shallow wells as in 50-60ft were the norm. Now runoff has changed the safety of that and really helped as far as punching deeper wells right away and eliminating water supply issues. At your depth in my area we would have hit 2 different aquifers already. Prices on everything are crazy and wont change for a while I'm afraid. Blame Putin, haha

I really hope you get it figured out and on the cheap side. If they can just add pipe that is a lot cheaper as well as punching an additional 150' or so instead of having to go to Jordan depth which is around 1200' here.

Edit: I do want to thank you for all the info you put on this site.

How close is the pump to the bottom? A low volume pump shouldn't pick up sand. A solar pump is very effective and good longevity that has an ac power back-up that can produce more gpm when needed.

I've dealt with well issues quite a bit as I sold a lot of farms and acreages as well as rural properties with wells. Did your well person tell you when the next aquifer is? in our area they can pull the maps and tell you exactly what footage they hit them especially when they have been in business as long as your well company has. Also is he saying he will have to replace all the well pipe as usually that is not the case? Lastly did they install a new pump last time or checked to see that it is the appropriate size?
It really sucks having water issues as I grew up with that, shallow wells as in 50-60ft were the norm. Now runoff has changed the safety of that and really helped as far as punching deeper wells right away and eliminating water supply issues. At your depth in my area we would have hit 2 different aquifers already. Prices on everything are crazy and wont change for a while I'm afraid. Blame Putin, haha

I really hope you get it figured out and on the cheap side. If they can just add pipe that is a lot cheaper as well as punching an additional 150' or so instead of having to go to Jordan depth which is around 1200' here.

Edit: I do want to thank you for all the info you put on this site.
We are going to go with FRACKING. Yes if we went with a new well we could use same PVC.
Have neighbors down & up the road same time drilled 15 years ago. One has 100' and 10GPM, another 200' and 12GPM, another one 250' and 8GPM. We were unlucky.
Depends on where the cracks in the Granite are. Our area is solid Granite.
Thanks much for you support!!!!!!!!!!
Just sucks with this economy. Had a 1 1/2 hour conference with Fidelity yesterday. We lost $200K+ in the last four months IRA and $10K everyday this past week.
Need another $10k for our business and now $5k for a well. May have a FIRE sale of our firearms.
Len & Jill

Edit:
Our well is 400' and the Fracking process is determine the exact recovery in the Well, then pull out the Pump and Waterline., run a camera along the entire length of the bore hole for the fissures, then lower TWO Bladders between the fissures and pump 4,000psi of water to open fissure. This process is done from the bottom (at noted fissures) to a safe distance from the top. Hopefully it will give us some more water,

Last edited:
We are going to go with FRACKING. Yes if we went with a new well we could use same PVC.
Have neighbors down & up the road same time drilled 15 years ago. One has 100' and 10GPM, another 200' and 12GPM, another one 250' and 8GPM. We were unlucky.
Depends on where the cracks in the Granite are. Our area is solid Granite.
Thanks much for you support!!!!!!!!!!
Just sucks with this economy. Had a 1 1/2 hour conference with Fidelity yesterday. We lost $200K+ in the last four months IRA and $10K everyday this past week.
Need another $10k for our business and now $5k for a well. May have a FIRE sale of our firearms.
Len & Jill

Edit:
Our well is 400' and the Fracking process is determine the exact recovery in the Well, then pull out the Pump and Waterline., run a camera along the entire length of the bore hole for the fissures, then lower TWO Bladders between the fissures and pump 4,000psi of water to open fissure. This process is done from the bottom (at noted fissures) to a safe distance from the top. Hopefully it will give us some more water,
I just threw up in my mouth a little. I hope you find enough water to float an ark. I'm thinking the economy will turn after November. Like others on here I really enjoy reading your posts I wish you the best!

I ulled up the USGeolical site and was looking at your are and figured it was due to a rock shelf. Bummer, we don't have to deal with that much. I keep telling my wife not to look at retirement money right now as it doesn't look good but hopefully start changing in a few months then 2yrs.

Doesn't matter what your well gets...it's how you use it......I had a 125' well 1 mile from pacific ocean.....only produced 7 gallons before it ran out....only resort was to use holding tanks....had one filtered piped into the house and was going to put in a second for washing cars and lawn..but sold and moved before I was finished.....
1500 gln holding tank also allows cleaner water for drinking....
3/4 hrsp in well....1/2 hrs feeding house...all the pressure you would need...

Oh yeah...guy across the street had an overflowing artesian well.....beautiful clean clear water......

Last edited:
How close is the pump to the bottom? A low volume pump shouldn't pick up sand. A solar pump is very effective and good longevity that has an ac power back-up that can produce more gpm when needed.
400' but your pump goes by the level of water to pump. so if water level is 200' and pump is at 400' you are only pumping from 200'. Water pressure to pump up.

Small house wells here are about the same price as what you are seeing.

As a farmer... For comparison...
Rice farm irrigation wells down here in south Louisiana are 170-200 feet deep and put out an average of 2500-2800 gpm.
All up and running with 125 HP electric motor is just under $100,000.