Water down the barrel, could use some help

Electrical tape for me as well.

Had a hunt in GA a few years back where the box I was in was covered up in lady bugs. Had a bunch crawl into my suppressor and when I fired, it cooked them. Took about 10 more rounds to completely get them out. :) Next day, I put a glove over it thinking that I would just yank the glove off before shooting. Nope, completely forgot. Shot a deer at 180 yards and blew the end out of the middle finger of that glove.

Tape ever since.

A few more good references about taping the muzzle. Taping my muzzle is the last thing I do for rifle prep, I also take a small roll of electrical tape in my backpack to apply more if needed after shooting the first one off.

Looking for some help with a hunting/rifle question. Well....we are leaving for a black bear hunt "tomorrow", Sunday 9/10. There are two hurricanes off the coast of Africa ( Lee and Margot), and....their paths are looking like they are coming up the Atlantic coast. The ten day forecast (hopefully incorrect) is for 50-70% rain all week. My question, due to all of the predicted rain, has anyone used electrician's tape over their barrels. I have seen this on a few podcasts, but really have no knowledge about using the tape over the muzzle of a rifle? Curious about other's ideas about doing this as I am a bit leery about doing it??? This is a black bear hunt over bait so it will be in a ground blind for me and tree stands for the two other hunters I am going with. Also wondering about if it changes the point-of-impact, the shots are only 40-60 yards. I'm also concerned about keeping the scope dry as much as possible also. I am going to try to pick some "flip up" scope caps, something that I ought to have done sooner.
I personally think that most any covering is a good idea. I could be wrong but I suspect whatever covering is long gone before the bullet arrives, (due to compressed gas in front of the bullet). JMO
I like flip-up lens covers on the outbound end but NOT on my end, (which usually stays dry anyway), because it often interferes with caps! 😄

Looking for some help with a hunting/rifle question. Well....we are leaving for a black bear hunt "tomorrow", Sunday 9/10. There are two hurricanes off the coast of Africa ( Lee and Margot), and....their paths are looking like they are coming up the Atlantic coast. The ten day forecast (hopefully incorrect) is for 50-70% rain all week. My question, due to all of the predicted rain, has anyone used electrician's tape over their barrels. I have seen this on a few podcasts, but really have no knowledge about using the tape over the muzzle of a rifle? Curious about other's ideas about doing this as I am a bit leery about doing it??? This is a black bear hunt over bait so it will be in a ground blind for me and tree stands for the two other hunters I am going with. Also wondering about if it changes the point-of-impact, the shots are only 40-60 yards. I'm also concerned about keeping the scope dry as much as possible also. I am going to try to pick some "flip up" scope caps, something that I ought to have done sooner.
Absolutely use tape or a barrel condom. Tape is fine. Just enough to seal the end of the barrel. You don't want water anywhere in the barrel or chamber at all.

The idea of cutting of a glove finger is sounds excellent since you're already packing them👍

I use the finger cots/ barrel condoms. Nothing against electrical tape at all but if I don't have a can on then it's a brake and to me the cot is easier than wrapping tape around.

Gas pressure will blow anything off well before the bullet gets close enough to care.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's fine.

I don't actually tape my cans because a little water doesn't hurt them.. cuts down on that first round pop a little 🤣 I also don't typically walk around with the muzzle pointed up into a raining sky either, and rain down here is a bit different than the deluge junk in the Pacific Northwest.