Water down the barrel, could use some help

Alibiiv

Looking for some help with a hunting/rifle question. Well....we are leaving for a black bear hunt "tomorrow", Sunday 9/10. There are two hurricanes off the coast of Africa ( Lee and Margot), and....their paths are looking like they are coming up the Atlantic coast. The ten day forecast (hopefully incorrect) is for 50-70% rain all week. My question, due to all of the predicted rain, has anyone used electrician's tape over their barrels. I have seen this on a few podcasts, but really have no knowledge about using the tape over the muzzle of a rifle? Curious about other's ideas about doing this as I am a bit leery about doing it??? This is a black bear hunt over bait so it will be in a ground blind for me and tree stands for the two other hunters I am going with. Also wondering about if it changes the point-of-impact, the shots are only 40-60 yards. I'm also concerned about keeping the scope dry as much as possible also. I am going to try to pick some "flip up" scope caps, something that I ought to have done sooner.

yes electrical tape over the end of the barrel works,I have never had any accuracy issues but I would only use one layer of tape no more,there use to be an outfit that made barrel condoms just for this purpose,but I have also just used a small balloon stretched over the barrel

Black finger cots $8 for 150 of them

IMG_9820.png

Thank you all for your recommendations. We're bringing along some black nitrile gloves that we use all of the time for when we clean our rifles. We're thinking about cutting the fingers off of them and using electrical tape to hold them in place. Also thank you for the link on Barbout Creek Crew

Thank you all for your recommendations. We're bringing along some black nitrile gloves that we use all of the time for when we clean our rifles. We're thinking about cutting the fingers off of them and using electrical tape to hold them in place. Also thank you for the link on Barbout Creek Crew

There is nothing wrong with your idea, it just seems like you're making it harder than it needs to be. I always tape my barrels, everywhere, all the time. What, are you afraid the tape is going to slow the bullet down or something? Not happening. The bullet will never touch the tape, i guarantee it. This topic comes up a couple of times a year on this forum. No one has ever disagreed with the concept. Tape on barrels is a good thing - keeps spiders out, cooties out, rain and snow out - and - when you trip and fall and catch yourself with your gun barrel - it won't be full of dirt or mud. I'm hard over in the camp that you should always tape your barrels. Just a safety thing, overall.

Looking for some help with a hunting/rifle question. Well....we are leaving for a black bear hunt "tomorrow", Sunday 9/10. There are two hurricanes off the coast of Africa ( Lee and Margot), and....their paths are looking like they are coming up the Atlantic coast. The ten day forecast (hopefully incorrect) is for 50-70% rain all week. My question, due to all of the predicted rain, has anyone used electrician's tape over their barrels. I have seen this on a few podcasts, but really have no knowledge about using the tape over the muzzle of a rifle? Curious about other's ideas about doing this as I am a bit leery about doing it??? This is a black bear hunt over bait so it will be in a ground blind for me and tree stands for the two other hunters I am going with. Also wondering about if it changes the point-of-impact, the shots are only 40-60 yards. I'm also concerned about keeping the scope dry as much as possible also. I am going to try to pick some "flip up" scope caps, something that I ought to have done sooner.
I use electric tape every season! Doesn't hurt anything or affect impact either, air pressure ahead of bullet blows the tape off. I wrap any muzzlebrakes also if weather is raining or snowing. Been doing it all my life. Also make several wraps around the barrel and you can seal muzzle off after shooting without carrying a roll of tape. Small balloons work as well.

Used these in Germany but haven't been able to find them back here yet. I used electrical tape prior to finding these.

Attachments

• gun plugs.jpg
    gun plugs.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 75
I know that condoms have been used successfully to keep the weather out of barrels. Now, some of these carbon fiber barrels might need a Trojan Magnum though.