Water down the barrel, could use some help

Looking for some help with a hunting/rifle question. Well....we are leaving for a black bear hunt "tomorrow", Sunday 9/10. There are two hurricanes off the coast of Africa ( Lee and Margot), and....their paths are looking like they are coming up the Atlantic coast. The ten day forecast (hopefully incorrect) is for 50-70% rain all week. My question, due to all of the predicted rain, has anyone used electrician's tape over their barrels. I have seen this on a few podcasts, but really have no knowledge about using the tape over the muzzle of a rifle? Curious about other's ideas about doing this as I am a bit leery about doing it??? This is a black bear hunt over bait so it will be in a ground blind for me and tree stands for the two other hunters I am going with. Also wondering about if it changes the point-of-impact, the shots are only 40-60 yards. I'm also concerned about keeping the scope dry as much as possible also. I am going to try to pick some "flip up" scope caps, something that I ought to have done sooner.
All you need is electrical tape. If you have a muzzle brake, it'll take two strips over the top to make sure it's completely sealed. There is absolutely no change of POI, I've done it for years and with success. Tape it and forget it.

Looking for some help with a hunting/rifle question. Well....we are leaving for a black bear hunt "tomorrow", Sunday 9/10. There are two hurricanes off the coast of Africa ( Lee and Margot), and....their paths are looking like they are coming up the Atlantic coast. The ten day forecast (hopefully incorrect) is for 50-70% rain all week. My question, due to all of the predicted rain, has anyone used electrician's tape over their barrels. I have seen this on a few podcasts, but really have no knowledge about using the tape over the muzzle of a rifle? Curious about other's ideas about doing this as I am a bit leery about doing it??? This is a black bear hunt over bait so it will be in a ground blind for me and tree stands for the two other hunters I am going with. Also wondering about if it changes the point-of-impact, the shots are only 40-60 yards. I'm also concerned about keeping the scope dry as much as possible also. I am going to try to pick some "flip up" scope caps, something that I ought to have done sooner.
MDT has a good short video...I've been using it for 50 years....no sweat covering your entire brake either

Yeah, it's fine.

I don't actually tape my cans because a little water doesn't hurt them.. cuts down on that first round pop a little 🤣 I also don't typically walk around with the muzzle pointed up into a raining sky either, and rain down here is a bit different than the deluge junk in the Pacific Northwest.
Isn't that what a Bra is for? And as for putting water on them...depends on how Cold it is if it's going to cut down....that first round Pop!

Middle finger from Harbor Freight nitrile glove works pretty good. This buck was outraged it was blue......

IMG_5958.jpeg

I found an issue using the "barrel covers" or finger cots--- got to take them off every night-- rain/moisture got stuck between it and the ss barrel over the last few days and my barrel muzzle has developed small rust spots -- ugh

IMG_1184.JPG

I wrap 10-12 turns of electrical tape around the barrel of most of my rifles, just at the end of the stock - the tape may be used for multiple purposes, like keeping water out of a barrel, repairing a busted plastic ammo box, securing a split lens cover, reattaching a loose eye cup from binocs or spotter & other. Not shown - tape used to patch up torn sandbag. I also carry a roll in my pack.

Eons & eons ago when I was a little kid, I viewed movies having airplanes fire their machine guns at the enemy & the bullets blasted the tape covering off the barrels that were protected from dust & debris accumulating from group takeoffs from less than tidy airstrips.

Last edited:
I've been doing this for years especially with bad weather in the winter for snow, rain maybe even a little dirt and debris. It won't effect the bullet flight or harm the barrel. It's a very good idea for your muzzle loader, keep that powder dry.