Anyone 'help' their barrel cool down on hot days at the range?

I wrap a paper towel around the barrel. Pour denatured alcohol on the towel and let it sit. Evaporation is rapid and no concern of rusting. Regular alcohol will work but is not as cold as denatured. I even use it to clean out carbon. Be sure to follow with light oil as it cleans and dries the metal out leaving it unprotected. It will not harm blued barrels if that is a concern of yours. Just another way to "skin the cat." It gets pretty hot in south Louisiana and waiting for a barrel to cool takes up too much shooting time.

The best way I know is to take several rifles with you to the range and alternate firing them.

When one gets hot to the touch, open the bolt and stand the rifle up on its but stock.

Then get another rifle and start shooting until it gets hot. (Hot to the touch, not so hot you cant keep your hand on it). Big powder charges can heat a barrel in 2 or 3 shots.

NOTE: it is very important to keep a barrel cool if you want good barrel life.

J E CUSTOM

You are wise Sir; that's exactly what I do.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.