Is anyone using mr3100 for their long-range work?

Harpy

I just picked up some mr3100 powder and was wondering if any of you were loading it for any of your long range work?

Thanks
Harpy

This came out in the late 70's or very early 80's and was originally packaged in gallon milk jugs. Bob Hagel said it was surplus IMR4831, and I used identical loads for MR3100 that I had been using for IMR4831 at similar pressures. I don't know anything about XMR3100.

Craig

This came out in the late 70's or very early 80's and was originally packaged in gallon milk jugs. Bob Hagel said it was surplus IMR4831, and I used identical loads for MR3100 that I had been using for IMR4831 at similar pressures. I don't know anything about XMR3100.

Craig

Craig, let me make sure I understand what has happened. You have in your possession a gallon of old IMR4831? But you are using 3100 data for loading it? In your first post, you wrote "mr3100."

So, I'm a bit confused.

The only 3100 I am aware of is what is now called "XMR 3100." It is formerly known as Accurate Arms 3100 or simply "AA3100." That is how it was labeled in the 90s when I used a lot of it.

I will assume that if you have something labeled "3100" it is from accurate arms and is the xmr3100.

If what you have is labeled MR3100, it is the old surplus IMR4831. If it is labeled ANYTHING else, then what I said doesn't apply. I used up that old gallon jug of powder almost 30 years ago. I know they changed the formula and I know nothing about the new versions that have the 3100 moniker on them. This info came from Bob Hagel, one of the greatest gun writers who ever lived. MR3100 was surplus IMR4831. Harpy said MR3100 in his original post, not XMR3100 or AA3100. I never used data from either of the latter two. MR3100 preceded anything else labeled 3100.

Craig

Last edited:
It is MR-3100 and its in one gallon plastic jugs.

One gallon is still "sealed" and the other is a little over 1/2 full. I was hoping to be able to use it in a 7mmWSM however any load data would be appreciated.

Thanks
Harpy

Harpy, the lot I had was a tad slower than most IMR4831 you see today. You should be able to use normal starting data for IMR4831 and not have a worry. I used mine in several different calibers. It was VERY cheap back then.

Craig

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.