My first .338 Edge, could use your help

jayph

Well as soon as my target rifle parts sell I plan to send the money off for a .338 Edge build. I have an idea of what I want but could use some help with some of my choices.

First off, the two barrels I have easy access too (in Canada) are Rock Creek and Krieger I have a feeling I can't go wrong with either but is there a preference out there? Price is very similar

Second, 29" or 30" barrel length and what twist rate for the 300gr matchking?

Third, what contour are you long barrel guys using. It will be based off a remington long action with a PT&G bolt so I don't know how heavy and long of a tube I could hang off the action.

Fourth, muzzle breaks, judging by most of the guns I found on this site the gill type break is the most popular any brand or type of gill break stand out as the best?

Thanks in advance to anybody that comments.

I've got a 28" Mike Rock #7 Fluted in 1 - 9.4 twist,shoots 300gr. SMK's Awesome. I don't have a brake on mine, Recoils not too bad,weigh's 19 pounds. Heres a video of the recoil.

Edge.jpg

From what I read and hear, 1-10 seems more favoured than anything else. I think it depends on the style and cut of the barrel manufacturer. I had trouble stabilising the longer AL tipped bullets and for them you may be better with the 1- 9.4. The 300 SMK loves most though !

I have been very happy with my HART barrel at 30 " plus break. You will probably see more at this length than anything else.

You would be hard pressed to go past a Defensive Edge break in the right contour.

Good choice of Cal by the way

DUH

From what I read and hear, 1-10 seems more favoured than anything else. I think it depends on the style and cut of the barrel manufacturer. I had trouble stabilising the longer AL tipped bullets and for them you may be better with the 1- 9.4. The 300 SMK loves most though !

I have been very happy with my HART barrel at 30 " plus break. You will probably see more at this length than anything else.

You would be hard pressed to go past a Defensive Edge break in the right contour.

Good choice of Cal by the way

DUH

+1 on the DE brake. I have the large DE brake on my 12-13lb Edge and it is perfect. I can shoot it prone w/o getting a mouth full of dirt, the recoil is non-existent. It has a 1-10 twist and shoots the 300SMK's great.

AJ

I have a 1-10 on mine that is finished at 28" without the break. Mine has Kirby's PK brake and it works awesome. By the way, it is a #7 contour, but it is fluted. Either manufacture will give you a fantastic barrel. Who is going to do your work? Good luck and keep us posted, and pics are mandatory :D

Jayph, I noticed your WSM post on CGN and was going to post but didn't. I do have a 300wsm precision rifle but only shoot 600M normally so I built a 6mmDasher. The 300wsm will shoot a long ways much better than the .308 but the real 30 cal boomers are another leap further.

I have a 700 PT&G bolt handle yet to get welded on, I don't TIG myself because it is a skill on its own. Building a 7STW and a 300WinMag for a couple fo buddies, both using Gaillard barrels. I built others with Gaillards but can't give you a range report other than my own Savage 6mmDasher. It shoots Ok but very consistant. Many observers would call it a 1/4 MOA gun or better but to be honest it isn't yet. The 300WSM Savage has a Douglas on it and again many would call that 1/3 MOA or better rifle but I'd give it an honest 1/2 without brake and almost 1/3 with. I only give the WORST average of the rifle, not its best group ever. I'd like to try a Kreiger for nothing more than the novelty.

I just received a reamer print for a 338 Edge in the mail, I would guess the PT&G reamer will show up tomorrow. I had sent in my .338 Lapua reamer for a regrind and if it wasn't able to be reground, Dave was to make it into an Edge. It looks like they managed to sell me an Edge reamer and regrind the Lapua reamer. I'll find out when it all shows up. I do have a whack of Lapua brass kicking around, and tactical type stock, and another long action magnum to modify... but I need another 338 Lapua like I need a kick in the nuts.

There is only one reason to build an Edge or Lapua and both require at least a 28" finished barrel, 30" blank is about perfect, heavy varmit. Get the brake you like, an agressive fish gill looks good to me. While the JP brake works very well, it looks like hell.

I don't think I have a wsm post there lol Thanks for your reply I have heard good things about gaillard but I have got one krieger barrel already and ian is amazing to deal with so I will get another from him. I plan on 29or30" without break and I think I will try the defensive edge break.

Jayph, I noticed your WSM post on CGN and was going to post but didn't. I do have a 300wsm precision rifle but only shoot 600M normally so I built a 6mmDasher. The 300wsm will shoot a long ways much better than the .308 but the real 30 cal boomers are another leap further.

I have a 700 PT&G bolt handle yet to get welded on, I don't TIG myself because it is a skill on its own. Building a 7STW and a 300WinMag for a couple fo buddies, both using Gaillard barrels. I built others with Gaillards but can't give you a range report other than my own Savage 6mmDasher. It shoots Ok but very consistant. Many observers would call it a 1/4 MOA gun or better but to be honest it isn't yet. The 300WSM Savage has a Douglas on it and again many would call that 1/3 MOA or better rifle but I'd give it an honest 1/2 without brake and almost 1/3 with. I only give the WORST average of the rifle, not its best group ever. I'd like to try a Kreiger for nothing more than the novelty.

I just received a reamer print for a 338 Edge in the mail, I would guess the PT&G reamer will show up tomorrow. I had sent in my .338 Lapua reamer for a regrind and if it wasn't able to be reground, Dave was to make it into an Edge. It looks like they managed to sell me an Edge reamer and regrind the Lapua reamer. I'll find out when it all shows up. I do have a whack of Lapua brass kicking around, and tactical type stock, and another long action magnum to modify... but I need another 338 Lapua like I need a kick in the nuts.

There is only one reason to build an Edge or Lapua and both require at least a 28" finished barrel, 30" blank is about perfect, heavy varmit. Get the brake you like, an agressive fish gill looks good to me. While the JP brake works very well, it looks like hell.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.