338 edge build. I need your help

Berkman

Hi everybody. I know there is a lot at posts about this topic but I'm unable to find out just exactly what I want. I have a rem 700 senadro in 300 win. This winter i plan to re barrel it to a 338 edge. The only thing i have bought so far is a set of dies. The main thing that I'm struggling with is what contour of barrel to get. The krieger barrel is what I'm thinking because they were recommended by my gunsmith. I'm thinking the #17 heavy varmint finished at 28 inches. But I would love to hear your thought on this as well as some pictures of finished rifles. I plan to use my factory stock and am thinking the Wyatt's 4 inch box mag with hinged floor plate. And a holland radial brake and holland hd recoil lug.

As I said the only thing I've decided on so far is the caliber. So any suggestions are appreciated

Thanks in advance. Berk

Hi everybody. I know there is a lot at posts about this topic but I'm unable to find out just exactly what I want. I have a rem 700 senadro in 300 win. This winter i plan to re barrel it to a 338 edge. The only thing i have bought so far is a set of dies. The main thing that I'm struggling with is what contour of barrel to get. The krieger barrel is what I'm thinking because they were recommended by my gunsmith. I'm thinking the #17 heavy varmint finished at 28 inches. But I would love to hear your thought on this as well as some pictures of finished rifles. I plan to use my factory stock and am thinking the Wyatt's 4 inch box mag with hinged floor plate. And a holland radial brake and holland hd recoil lug.

As I said the only thing I've decided on so far is the caliber. So any suggestions are appreciated

Thanks in advance. Berk

Is this going to be a bench gun, are you hiking with it, hunting with it? Need to know what its intended use it and also if you have any weight goals before that can be answered.

My plan is for target and hunting. But i dont plan to carry it very far. So weight is not really a concern. I'm sure most barrels will meet my performance requirements so I'm mostly after what looks best to me.
Thanks

I have 7 of these rifles and my shooting partner has 2. We like Bartlein or Lilja barrels, 30" length.If you do more target shooting we like a barrel that is 1.25 for 5" and then tapers to .875 or .900 at the muzzle. For hunting a medium palma or sendero contour. We use 4" mag boxes and Musclebrakes. We have tried twists from 1 in 9" to 1in 10" and cant tell any difference.The lighter barrels will shoot accurately, they are just harder to hold steady at long range. If you have any questions, you can give me a call at 478-957-5213. Gary Campbell

I have 7 of these rifles and my shooting partner has 2. We like Bartlein or Lilja barrels, 30" length.If you do more target shooting we like a barrel that is 1.25 for 5" and then tapers to .875 or .900 at the muzzle. For hunting a medium palma or sendero contour. We use 4" mag boxes and Musclebrakes. We have tried twists from 1 in 9" to 1in 10" and cant tell any difference.The lighter barrels will shoot accurately, they are just harder to hold steady at long range. If you have any questions, you can give me a call at 478-957-5213. Gary Campbell

Thanks Gary. That's exactly the type of advice im after. If it's not to much trouble could you post some pictures or email them to me. [email protected]. Thanks a bunch

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.