Building my first .338 Lapua - help from the experts!

Killertraylor

I've got a wild hair to build a light weight hunting rig in .338 Lapua. I've got a 26 inch Proof Research 10 twist barrel and have ordered a Defiance Deviant Hunter action. When I ordered the action today he asked me about the magazine cut….uh, what? I've built a lot of customs but this was the first I've learned that you can't just use a standard Remington spring, follower and bottom metal. I guess the fatter Lapua won't feed from a .338 RUM spring and follower??

Anyway, I am leaning towards the Wyatts CFE-12 which is a center feed box and gives me 2.850 OAL. I'll likely run the 250's and 300's and am hoping this is long enough. It only allows 2 in the magazine, but that should be fine. Will probably just go ADL. Any other light weight magazine options out there? I've only got a short time to let Defiance know how to cut the bottom of the action if I switch from the Wyatts. Leaning towards a Manners T5 elite tactical stock. Will run a nightforce 5.5-22x50 and hope to keep the entire rig around 9.5 lbs.

Thanks!

I have a Christensen and it came with an HS Precision 3rd mag, so there's another option for you. My max mag length is 3.698.

Mine is outfitted with NF aluminum rings and 20moa base, Leupold MK4 4.5-14x50, and a Harris bipod. I haven't weighed it, but I'd ballpark it at about 8.5 loaded out.

Good luck with yours.

Thanks for the reply! Since posting, I talked to my smith Robert Gradous and he recommended the H&S bottom metal/magazine too so I ordered it and also am having the Manners GAT stock inletted for it. Sounds like a better feeding option than the Wyatt's box.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.