Building my first PRS rifle

Memberberries

I've been wanting to build a long range target gun for a while and I really want to go try a PRS match. All my rifles are either short to medium range calibers or they have light barrels so they don't quite fit the bill. I plan to go with a 308 because I have a ton of brass/bullets and I see no reason not to, I know 6mm and 6.5mm buck the wind better but I am more looking to compete with myself and I can always swap barrels again later if I feel the cartridge is holding me back. I will put my action in a lathe and check runout to see if I need to get it blueprinted but primary extraction is good and lug contact is good so I would rather keep it as is for the lugs and only adjust the front of the action if its all square.

My build is based on my trusty old Remington 700 BDL synthetic in 308.
I've pulled the two piece basses in favor if a 20 moa EGW rail.
The Nikon 4-12x40 is also gone for an Eotech VUDU 5-25x50. I went with the MD3 reticle because X47Guy was selling a used one on here for a great price.
For rings I found a deal on some Steiner T-series medium height.
My stock choice was pretty basic with a KRG Bravo in Sako green. I've never owned a chassis, only stocks but I have shot several AI guns and while I liked them they cost a lot. AI mags will have to do for now.
Trigger will stay factory for a while, it's been well broke in and adjusted with very low creep and over-travel with about a 2.5 lb break.

I know I'm going to need a heavy barrel and I plan to shoot suppressed pretty much all the time so I usually opt for shorter barrels. This is where I want some opinions, Remage is easy but whose?
also does anyone honestly think that a 20" barrel would hold me back vs a 24"? My choice loads would be 175 smk's or something similar.

I'll add pics as I get it all put together.

If your gonna shoot prs, the .308 will be a big hindrance. For two reasons, wind and the recoil. You have a limited amount of time to get in position and get shots on target. The recoil is gonna take you off target and you wont see hits or misses. And that is a huge part of prs.
Well I guess that depends on what you're trying to do. If you want to become a better marksman, a 308 is a great choice. If you wanna be a gamer, 20 pound 6mm is where it's at.

Shoot in tactical class and you'll be against other 308s and 223. The biggest thing for PRS for me is does a rifle balance on a barricade. The bravos I have 24" medium palmas. They balance ok, but not as well as my 26" trg. I run a brake, but not suppressed. So depending on your suppressor's weight and length that will influence the length you should get.

I use a 308 700 mil spec in a bravo chassis.
Honestly there's not enough of us in tactical divisions, so I wouldn't encourage a 308 cause after awhile of competing against ur self a person wants to win lol.
But it seems once per match my rifle will drop a spent case on top of the mag. Costs a lot time at a prs match to dig it out.
So I would say try out the 308 and 700, you might want a different action caliber after a year or two Of competing

If your gonna shoot prs, the .308 will be a big hindrance. For two reasons, wind and the recoil. You have a limited amount of time to get in position and get shots on target. The recoil is gonna take you off target and you wont see hits or misses. And that is a huge part of prs.

I understand that and I'm not worried about it. I know there's someone else is gonna have a rifle shooting a 6mm that weighs 20+ lbs and I'm not really looking to compete with them, I'm more trying to compete in the tactical class and just spend more time shooting with a crowd that can improve my own shooting.

I know wind throws 308's around a lot but I'm willing to deal with that. Plus with a remage I'm only out a barrel and brass for a caliber swap.

I use a 308 700 mil spec in a bravo chassis.
Honestly there's not enough of us in tactical divisions, so I wouldn't encourage a 308 cause after awhile of competing against ur self a person wants to win lol.
But it seems once per match my rifle will drop a spent case on top of the mag. Costs a lot time at a prs match to dig it out.
So I would say try out the 308 and 700, you might want a different action caliber after a year or two Of competing

I've had that problem before but a new extractor and keeping my ejector clean seem to make it a non-issue

Fat chance I'd sell my $1000 rig with optic... 308 Winchester...

Custom fitted MRC stock.
25" Jury Bull Stainless Steel Barrel.
PTG Bolt long handle for fast shots.
Match Grade Jewel Trigger.
6-24 Sightron Glass with large dials...
It ain't worth selling so I'll burn lots of barrels out in the years to come...

I do the same thing when I shoot comp,,, I'm up against 3 shooters,,, I,,, me,,, and my self... The rest of the folks enjoy sharing the know how's of good times,,, that's what PRS shooting is all about...

Sister and Brother hood at its finest...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KWd2UGSMNHFyeRFX6

Cheers from the North

22inch heavy Palma SS 1:10, threaded for a muzzle brake.

Don't do a barrel nut because they are ugly. I got into a lot of trouble in a barrel nut thread for that exact comment lol.

Yes,,, its one awesome chunk of lumber on this rifle...

Lots of folks talk about the best barrel,,, best trigger,,, best optic,,, but they cheap out when it comes to stocks...

It performed excellent in my F Class shooting since it fit like a glove,,, full on pistol grip and a extra wide fore-arm flat bottom / tapper grip for the hand grab...

A few modification to turn it into a PRS stock... I would of got jack-rabbit if I sold it,,, so the best bang for the buck is use what I have...

This unit also fills in as a back-up hunting rifle since its super accurate... It was 18.25 lbs in the F Class set-up,,, its down to 14.7 as I Sloooooowly grind it down,,, Ha...

The diet program that is... Our PRS lead ran a 308 for years,,, he switched over to a 6.5/47 Lapua,,, since it was time for """his""" Change up...

He shoots in lots of competions across North America,,, the folks liked to rib him even though he ranked in the 200 category when he started shooting 7 years ago,,, now he bounces around in the top 40 ish / more like the top 20 these days... LOL...

The majority of folks are awesome,,, but there are 1 or 2 sticks in the mud that think they are top dogs,,, its one thing acting like it and proving it...

Those in the top 10 are willing to share freely and are humbled to be part of the team... Those are the folks to follow and team up with,,, the stuffy dudes can do their own thing since they like living life that way...

Most folks know that in order for the sport to grow it needs folks that participate in it by acting as leaders and sharing of it,,, so others join... Real PRS shooting is all about """community."""

The old saying is ture in it and other competion shooting sports,,, """us the people draw others into the good times,""" that way we all benefit in the years to come,,, older shooters helping out the up and comers so they can pass on the ideas when it's there turn...

All of us have to start some where,,, why not reap the rewards of the irons and supplies we already have,,, the best bang for the buck is stuff we already own and have on hand...

Life has always been this way in my world,,, its part of being frugal and living with in my means... LOL...

Cheers from the North

if you are going to shoot match a lot of rounds will go down range build from the ground up Bighorn action and shoulder fit match barrel in 6.5x47 or a 6 creed 22
dasher match m24 barrel, then get a exter bolt head for a easy long life match shoulder fit barrel like a 223 and use that for a trainer https://patriotvalleyarms.com/?fbclid=IwAR0nCInNg3ZiKASvxSTmM4pkGGckrWGydV1D6MYGDMEXVI6iEwCLY2N1CaU

While a TL3 is a great option for someone wanting to jump in with nothing but a big budget, I already have the action and it was more of a "i want to build this action, and I also want to try PRS" also my choice for 308 is because I already have dies, a bunch of empties, and a big box of 175 SMK's as well as other pills to see what it likes. might as well use em...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.