Building first custom rifle

One thing you didn't mention was, do you prefer a shot action or long action.
Because on your list of rifles there are both.
Now I know this wasn't an option on your list, but if your only looking to shoot Deer & Antelope
I would highly recommend looking at the 25-284. It's a ballistic twin to the 25-06 but in a short action. And it knocks'm STIFF!
Having said that LA 6.5-284 -----SA 260 REM
IMHO
I much prefer a SA but im not totally against going LA.

I much prefer a SA but im not totally against going LA.
I'm 5'4", built really close to the ground..lol... So for me, it's a short action. That way, if I need to make a follow-up shot, I don't have to take my head very far away from the gun. The long stroke of the long action takes me too far away from the scope for a quick follow-up.
And the reason I say a 6.5-284 is, it's a well known vs. a newby on the PRC. It's still easy to get reloading dies & such on the 6.5 284. The PRC.....getting product is VERY difficult.
And as you may have read, many are reporting some problems with brass & sizing it.

My Opinion
Find out what you want caliber stock action
Weight total if it matters
Do your homework on parts Custom Action are
a little more but you save on machine work
Also speeds up the smith because he done have to do all the steps
Plenty of good used parts the will save you money on a build
If you don't want t wait on a barrel there are companies that carry barrels. Bugholes
I do this on every build

My situation is very similar to yours in that I live in the SE but try to make it out west every year. Also like you, I have a bigger gun (300WM) for elk and anything else that fits the need.
I built a .260 based on a 700 action I had and its absolutely one of my favorite rifles to carry and shoot. Has a 24" Pacnor barrel and a Manners stock. Not sure of the exact weight but its comfortable to carry and shoot. It drops the 143 ELDX into tiny groups and spotting impacts without a brake is easy. My son has been using it very effectively here at home for deer with most of them being one shot drops ranging from 50 to about 200yds.
Lapua makes really good brass for the 260 and combined with H4831SC, its been really easy to find and maintain accurate loads.

IMHO; if you are going to hunt in more than one state, go for the old standbys; 30-06, or 25-06. They can be loaded up or down, and should not be a problem finding ammo, if necessary. Also, for those states that require it, a 444 Marlin would be a good backup.
I bought a custom gun made by a smith in TX in the early 60s. It's set up on a Rem 700 action and has a set of two barrels, 25-06 and 30-06, based on a screw in design with a "locking" alignment pin. I later upgraded the wood and had the whole thing rust reblued by the smith at the Beretta Gallery in Dallas. Also added Recknagel quick release/rotating mounts and rings to accommodate a Bushnell 1-8x for the 30-06 and a Leupold 2-12x for the 25-06.

My "one gun" rig for North America (at least anything I'd be interested in hunting and at any ranges I'd feel comfortable placing an ethical, killing shot).

Well, I live in Eastern Montana. I have had 3 custom rifles built, 6CM, 260, and a 6.5-284. This year I used my 6CM on my antelope. 425yards with a 95gr Berger hunter. 15-20mph quartering wind. It has less drop then the 6.5-284. But when I tested the loads on paper from 100-600 yards I was shooting 142gr LRAccubonds out of the 284, and the 95's from the 6CM. The reason I did this was to build a dope card for both rifles. For out west and bigger game, Elk, bear, moose, I'd go with the 6.5-284 if you want to stay in the 6.5 family. Otherwise go.30cal=.300WinMag just my 2cents

No I absolutly don't need it here for the southeast. Its more for when I take trips every year out west to hunt
Yes, I thought you'all could throw knives at them down there. You have gotten a huge number of responses to your post. I hope you can make some sense of them all. God bless you and your endeavors.

IMHO; if you are going to hunt in more than one state, go for the old standbys; 30-06, or 25-06. They can be loaded up or down, and should not be a problem finding ammo, if necessary. Also, for those states that require it, a 444 Marlin would be a good backup.
My first and potentially only custom rifle is a 25-06AI, 30-06AI, 338-06AI, switch barrel takedown. I'm not in love with the Montana 99 action that I chose to use stainless steel. It is so different in cycling than my other guns. I am however still happy with the cartridge choices. 338-06 AI is very fun to work with. I hope to spend more time shooting and loading than shopping for rifles from now on.

I was considering going long action just for that reason, do you see much of a down range performance change between the standard and improved? I've decided im going to go 6.5x55 the question is now do I go standard or improved
Like you I live in the Southeast, Eastern NC, and would do just fine shooting a 270 with cheap 130 sp's like all my friends do. So as far as down range performance on game I don't have any good comparisons past say 150 yards, where they both have worked just fine. I just really like ballistics and like knowing my 156 Bergers will drift several MOA less at 1000 than a standard 270, and I also like being different and having a conversation piece. That being said I would never go back to the standard Swede for several reasons. Mainly I hate trimming and the case taper on the standard is excessive requiring quite a bit of trimming each firing. I've trimmed my fire formed brass once to even it out in 5 firings and I'm not even close to needing to do it again. Secondly the 6.5x55 is one of those cartridges that actually gains a lot from improving. I'm probably running the pressures quite a bit higher but the case design won't show it and everything looks perfect with tight primer pockets after 5 firings. I feel like it's just a very efficient cartridge running 140s over 3000 with 54 grains of powder and 156s over 2900 with 53. You won't regret it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.