First shots from the Barnard 338 Lapua

300WSMMAD

Well not much to say really:D.

Bottom right was the first and only sighter from the rifle then the boring job of cleaning was in order, while the boretech was doin its thing I made adjustments on the scope, FINALLY the Boretech came out clean a quick rub with "Autosol" was done,more Hoppes, more scrubbingto make sure everything was spotless, then fired three shots and this was the result!!

Barnard338LM100yrdtarget.jpg

This was a mild load for running in with new unfired Norma brass using 250gr SMKs, with that in mind I wasnt really surprised at how well it was grouping being a mild load,BUT this was only the first 4 shots from previously unfired barrel.

After MORE scrubbing,solvents and autosol(dont we just love running in barrels!!!:rolleyes:) more groups of five were shot with just one largeish hole forming.
While the laborious job of more solvents,scrubbing etc continued, we decided to move out to 300 yrds for the other guys there too.
After a while the Barnard was ready to roar again, I had loaded some 250gr SMKs with 93grs of 2217 with CCI primers with 10 thou jump as an inital test load with me so I checked a drop chart that I had with me (hoping to get me in the ball park)moved up 3.5MOA got comfy and let one go.
With my friend in the trap marking for me the target droped and came back up instantly with a orange marker in the middle!!Thats nice,I sent another,target down...up spotter didnt move, hmmm, then over the radio came "nice one! last two shots touching" so the third round entered the chamber and it got launched down the range, target down...up spotter didnt move, "NICE!!!" came over the radio, " Ive just covered two and a half holes with a 1/2" sticker!!"

So all in all its a tack driver!! the 300 yrd group measured just over 1/2" with ZERO load development, so I think that load is developed!
I did have had some 300 gr SMKs with me but, thats next weekend.

The rifle is a dream to shoot,apart from the violent eruption that happens 40" away from your face recoil was no worse than a unbraked .308, even at 100 yrds I could see impacts, so Im very happy with it!
RIMG0394.jpg

Regards 300WSMAD

Last edited:
Good Deal,

I have the middle weight trigger range in both my new P-Chey models. Actually only have one of the actions in hand as other one is enroute to importer right now.

Do NOT let anyone tell you that trigger can not take dirt and grim and still operate, because I done a minor test on my action with trigger in it with dirt and wet dirt and it still functioned flawlessly.

Long Range Shooting

For video see above link.

Thanks

I am not using the V Block system. I would if I were running any of the composite stocks but I am running an aluminum modular stock from McRees Precision. So I have the "block" built as a complete unit of the center section of the stock. I just shipped him my P-Chey action a couple days ago so he could make sure his program for machining matched the exact dimensions of the action.

Thanks

Hi Claw, Buyin kiwi made,Trueflite!

Steve, ah yeah to be honest it shocked me,in a good way.
I will find out how the 300's go tomorow as well as the new(hopefully Lapua proof) gong hanging system!

Regards 300WSMAD

Hi Claw, Buyin kiwi made,Trueflite!

Regards 300WSMAD

Good work, I have a couple of True Flite barrels, a 6mm and a 7mm. Both sitting at my gunsmiths place awaiting assembly. Looks as though your initial testing is showing good results using the True Flite. Can't wait for my rifles to be done...

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts