My 338 lapua build

C.O. Shooter

This is the start of my rifle build. If anyone has any constructive criticism, please feel free to chime in with any comments, concerns, thoughts, or ideas!

Action: Defiance Deviant Hunter – Long Action (Ordered ETA: 01.2017)

- 416R SS (1.403 Thread Depth, 16 TPI)
- Integral 20 MOA Base
- Integral Recoil Lug
- 1.35" OD Receiver Bottom
- .750 Bolt: One Piece
- .595 Bolt Face
- Recessed Lugs
- Faceted Bolt Shroud
- Modified Bolt Handle
- Long Tactical Bolt Knob
- SS Bolt Stop
- Deep Fluted Bolt
- Heavy Tang
- Mini 16 Extractor
- Defiance Firing Pin Assembly
- Wyatt Mag Well Cut (3.825) Long Box
- Black Cerakote

Bottom Metal:

- PTG/Gre-Tan/Sunny Hill/Stiller (Undecided)

Barrel: Bartlein 416R Stainless – .338 Caliber

- 30" Finished Length - Heavy Palma Contour ("B Measurement – 1.25" for 4") Finished @ .90
- 1-9" Twist, 5R Rifling (Throated for 300 Grain Berger Bullets)
- Magnum Muscle Brake 4 Port, Muzzle Brake (Round)
- Black Cerakote

Trigger: Jewel/Timney/Rifle Basixs (Undecided)

Optics: Nightforce (C553) ATACR: 5-25x56MM Enhanced/MOAR-T Reticle HS/ZS

- Badger Ordnance Rings 1.0/Medium-High/34 MM (Steel: 306-14)

Stock: HS-Precision PST036 – Grey w/Black Webbing (Bedded w/Titanium Devcon) Glass Bed & Free Float

GUNSMITH:
Cloud Peak Gunworks
Trevor Rosencranse
P.O. Box 757
610 South 8th Street
Basin WY 82410
307-568-3009

Looking for thoughts, ideas, or opinions related to a 338 Lapua Chamber. NO interest in the AI chambering. Any pros and cons related to a short vs long freebore!

.371 Neck/.148 Freebore - Lapua Tactical Match

.373 Neck/.187 Freebore - Lapua Match (Crane Naval Services Warfare)

For all extensive purposes, consider using the 300 GRAIN Berger. Not worried about magazine length.

Thanks

We just cut a 300 plus grain 338 this morning that is 2.17" long and will require an 8 twist to fully stabilize it. Just a thought.
Brian

The other thing I am considering is having the action cut for the Seekins 3.9" mag well cut, rather than the Wyatts Cut. I have some time yet to where I can make changes. I know Seekins doesn't offer the 3.9" magazine anymore, but you never know. The 3.9" cut will effect the feed rails.

Wyatt makes a CFE-9 magazine box (outside dimensions 4.070/inside 3.990) http://wyattsoutdoor.com/product_info.php/cPath/1/products_id/39, however after talking to Defiance, they have no plans of offering this cut. It would require serious modifications to their action and machining.

That being said, I will probably only ever single fire this rifle.

Last edited:
What diameter are the threads on the 16tpi Deviant Hunter? Looked at their website but couldn't find that specification. 1 1/16" like Rem 700s, or 1 1/8" like some of the other aftermarket actions?

Kirby on alot of his big boomers says it helps the stiffness out for the barrel going larger,helps support better

What diameter are the threads on the 16tpi Deviant Hunter? Looked at their website but couldn't find that specification. 1 1/16" like Rem 700s, or 1 1/8" like some of the other aftermarket actions?

On my build sheet it says: 1.403 Thread Depth, 16 TPI.

Kirby on alot of his big boomers says it helps the stiffness out for the barrel going larger,helps support better

Thanks.

On my build sheet it says: 1.403 Thread Depth, 16 TPI.
Is that the length of the threaded tenon, or the diameter? If it's the diameter, the 1.250" shank on your barrel blank is definitly not big enough. If it's the length, I can't see the Rem 700 "foot print" thing. If a guy is gonna' order all the parts himself, he needs to know what he is ordering and if those parts are all compatable. More "hiccups" happen from incompatable customer supplied/ordered parts and lack of complete communication than for any other reason. You need to be discussing this with the gunsmith that'll be doing the work.

Here's my sheet:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 165
Is that the length of the threaded tenon, or the diameter? If it's the diameter, the 1.250" shank on your barrel blank is definitly not big enough. If it's the length, I can't see the Rem 700 "foot print" thing. If a guy is gonna' order all the parts himself, he needs to know what he is ordering and if those parts are all compatable. More "hiccups" happen from incompatable customer supplied/ordered parts and lack of complete communication than for any other reason. You need to be discussing this with the gunsmith that'll be doing the work.

And yes these things were discussed with my gunsmith. Forgive me for not knowing/remembering. I'm not a gunsmith.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.