Was the 6.5 cm really a necessity?

Just checked the current Remington product line for the fun of it. They now chamber more rifle models in Creedmoor than 260. I think 2 years ago, they didn't offer anything in CM. Crazy.
I seen that as well and didn't think Remington would ever do that. Chambering in a round that directly competes with the 260. But what really surprised me was when Lapua offered creedmoor brass.

I seen that as well and didn't think Remington would ever do that. Chambering in a round that directly competes with the 260. But what really surprised me was when Lapua offered creedmoor brass.
It didn't surprise me that lapua did. It was bound to happen. The CM is a money maker right now. What really surprised me was when they made it a small primer pocket. Now the CM has everything the x47 has but with better case capacity. I was very surprised they'd do that to their own cartridge.

They even swapped out the 260 for the creed in their gen 2 5r. Must be an attempt to boost sales
Remington tried to kill the .260...They've never had any love for it. I'm not surprised at all they would offer rifles in 6.5 CM...

As someone who much prefers the .260 Rem & .260 AI, I was WAY more shocked to see it make a comeback, especially with a proper 1:8 twisted 5R heavy barrel in the Milspec platform, given the way they treated the .260 in the past. I guess they wanted their own slice of the short-action 6.5 craze, but they had already screwed up many years prior and cut the cord on the .260. If they had just kept the .260 Rem alive, they would have cornered the market 10 years ago...But they didn't.

It didn't surprise me that lapua did. It was bound to happen. The CM is a money maker right now. What really surprised me was when they made it a small primer pocket. Now the CM has everything the x47 has but with better case capacity. I was very surprised they'd do that to their own cartridge.
That's why it surprised me. It's a direct competitor to their x47. I'm sure it didn't help their sales of x47 brass. Sure made it a easy decision for me to go creedmoor. It's not done yet but in the parts gathering stage. Have to finish my 28 Nosler first, stock is all that's missing. Should be here in 2 weeks. Then it's the creed's turn. Have a Rock Creek barrel and the stock already for it.

Remington tried to kill the .260...They've never had any love for it. I'm not surprised at all they would offer rifles in 6.5 CM...

As someone who much prefers the .260 Rem & .260 AI, I was WAY more shocked to see it make a comeback, especially with a proper 1:8 twisted 5R heavy barrel in the Milspec platform, given the way they treated the .260 in the past. I guess they wanted their own slice of the short-action 6.5 craze, but they had already screwed up many years prior and cut the cord on the .260. If they had just kept the .260 Rem alive, they would have cornered the market 10 years ago...But they didn't.
That's what I said in a previous post. The Creedmoor market could have been theirs but they fumbled the ball big time with the 260.

Lapua probably understands that it's not what name it has, but what matters is they are making the brass for it. $$$$
Very true and a good business decision on their part. Still wish they had a better selection of brass we use here in the US. Their missing a big share of the market by not producing belted and unbelted mag brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.