Varmint rife project

260 rem

I am looking into a long range 22-250 varmint rifle
Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of a 1-12" twist barrel I will be shooting 55 grain projectiles I have had a 1-14" rifle and could not stabilize 55 grain and was stuck with 50's gun)

There should be no detrimental effects if your bullet weight properly matches your rifling's twist rate. If a 55gr bullet requires a 1:12, go with a 1:12.

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of a 1-12" twist barrel I will be shooting 55 grain projectiles I have had a 1-14" rifle and could not stabilize 55 grain and was stuck with 50's gun)

I shoot both those weights out of my mdl 700 varmint rifle ( 22-250)...equally well and accurate

The pros, It will work fine up to about 65 grs.

The cons, If you ever want to shoot 70-80 gr target bullets you will find yourself in your current situation again.

I just ordered an 8" twist barrel to shoot mostly 64 gr varmint bullets from a .223 Rem.

not sure what rifle you have. my vssf will shoot 63 to 40 grain grain. great. 1-14 twist

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts