two gun battery - getting rid of my menagerie

EXPRESS

I have nearly 30 guns, most of them rifles.
Of these I regularly use just a couple. One is usually a favourite, and that would be the one that was most recently built/upgraded.

Where I live, the best I can do for an LR rig is buy a Remington, get it trued and buy components from the US. But shipping, and the time needed gets in the way of this, and as a result I have incomplete rifles, and rifles that never shoot well because the LR smiths here are inconsistent. Just consider that getting a Jewel trigger, is either going to cost you $500 from a local guy, who will have to order it from the States anyway, or you get it yourself, but have to go through all the frigmarole of import. Same goes for rings, scopes etc.

So I could have gone for an out of the box rifle, consider that we only just got Savage a few years ago, and they cost almost as much as a custom rifle does in the US, that leaves Tikka, Sako, CZ, others, and last, but not least, Blaser. I've always disliked the Blasers, but I have also always respected them, they shoot as well as anything else out there, with the expeption of BR and top end top end custom rigs.

Well, I am feeling like getting rid of all my mixed bag of rifles, most of which only tend to gather dust. I even have two real nice left handed rifles, that belonged to my brother who went on one hunt and quit. I kept them thinking he might want to try again or I might have a left handed guest. How stupid.

So anyway, my idea is to get a Blaser R8 platform and go with barrels. The calibers are somewhat limited, but at least that means you stay with readily available ammo. They now come with a great stock for shooting prone, need no trigger work, they actually have a trigger with two settings, match and hunting! I don't like the mounts, but they work.

I'm thinking of a 6.5x55 for everything up to elk/red deer and a .338 win mag for everything above. I can put a Swaro 1.7-10 Z6 scope on one set of rings for the .338 which is great for low light, driven or other "normal" European hunting and a Kahles k624i on another set of rings for the long range stuff. They reliably come off and go back on without losing zero. I didn't believe it, but it's the truth.

The 6.5x55 would inherit a Mk4 6.5-20 and be used for everything from foxes to deer, as well as steel.

Both rifles come with a 23" barrel, which is fine and handy, I am a hunter, not a target shooter, and I have discovered I don't get much joy out of shooting a dedicated target rifle at long range if I can't also use it hunting.

I have a private range with targets out to 1360 yards, and honestly I hardly every shoot reliably past the 760 gong, which is well within the energy limits of both calibers for hunting.

The biggest factor that led me to improving my shooting was simplifying all my gear as much as possible, and just shooting more. Having a go to battery of just two rifles I use a lot would be a great step in that direction, at least so I'm thinking now.

Am I talking myself into a decision or does this make sense? I realize that Blaser rifles in the US are a bit controversial but just give me the benefit of the doubt on that part of it.

Do it, I bought a Blaser R8 Professional 6.5x55 recently as my main hunting and long range rifle and it's splendid

Last edited by a moderator:
There's definitely a lot of common sense in your thinking but with only two rigs if you do much shooting you'll be wearing them out with regularity.

You might do well to just keep a couple of the others still there around as "beaters" and "Range Guns" for the bulk of your varmint and gong shooting to go with the Blaser and switch barrels.

Their new straight pull design is fantastic but you do have to work with it a good bit for it to become "reflex" in working the bolt. It's very easy to not quite push forward enough on the upstroke resulting in a bolt that fails to loc and a resulting ugly "click" when you pull the trigger.

I myself have had a "two of everything" policy with one light and one heavy rig in all of my LR capable rigs and I've noticed that I've exceeded that in a few calibers now so I understand where you are at.

A man can only shoot so many.

If you do decide to thin the herd deep so to speak I'd imagine that with the difficulty and expense of importing rifles there your sell off should be more than profitable enough to indulge deeply in the Blaser's and pay for a few trips for hunt overseas while you are at it so it may not be a bad thing in the long run at all!

So I'm not just having one of my spells...

I am looking at the Professional Success model, with the pistol grip stock.

I bought an R93 tracker model in .308 win for my Dad a few years ago, and every time I use it, it has grown on me, to the point of becoming jelous of it. I used it on a driven hunt and it was flawless.

I have to drive past my gun dealer today, I might go and have a word...

So I'm not just having one of my spells...

I am looking at the Professional Success model, with the pistol grip stock.

I bought an R93 tracker model in .308 win for my Dad a few years ago, and every time I use it, it has grown on me, to the point of becoming jelous of it. I used it on a driven hunt and it was flawless.

I have to drive past my gun dealer today, I might go and have a word...
Careful there my friend. Every time I've walked into a gun shop with the intent of trading one off or selling it I just end up carrying two out with me.gun)

I still wish I had not sold the 1 gun I did last year, because I needed money, and it was the only gun I own that had no sentimental value to it. I couldn't imagine selling all but 2 of them. That would be like saying, "I just bought this case (24) of beer, but I'm only gonna drink 2 of them, you can have the rest...."

Sorry, I just couldn't imagine life without my guns. I never sell them...I only collect more and more. :D

EXPRESS,

What is the largest game you intend to hunt?

My being partial to Sako, that's the way I'd go. Sako does guarantee 5-shot MOA. From experience, with a Sako AV, I can tell you that it is beyond extremely accurate & completely reliable.

Most hunters that own a lot of rifles, at least the ones I know, use only one nearly all the time.

The 6.5 Swede is an excellent and proven cartridge. But so is the '06. The 7MM Rem Mag might just be the perfect one-rifle rifle.

Go with you most like. But you might want to at least consider going Sako.

Fortunately, it's not only Blaser you'll find with the concept of interchangeable barrels in Europe. At least as good is the Merkel Helix with its unique features, the fantastic Steyr Mannlicher Luxus from Austria, the Mauser 03, the Danish Schultz & Larsen with several different models and so on. Blaser and Merkel Helix are straightpull guns the others "normal" bolt - actions. And not all of them are expensive as the Blaser!! The out - of - box performance of all these rifles is flawless and good under 1moa with five shot groups.
Calibre choices are enormous, doesn't matter what you choose, European or American.
If you are hunting mostly in Europe, I'd go with the 7x64 Brenneke for the "normal stuff" and longer distances. The 9,3x62 for the classical driven hunts on wild boars, deer, moose or whatever.

BTW, if the Italian gunsmith aren't good enough, so then just move a little bit north to Austria and you'll surely find what you need!

Fortunately, it's not only Blaser you'll find with the concept of interchangeable barrels in Europe. At least as good is the Merkel Helix with its unique features, the fantastic Steyr Mannlicher Luxus from Austria, the Mauser 03, the Danish Schultz & Larsen with several different models and so on. Blaser and Merkel Helix are straightpull guns the others "normal" bolt - actions. And not all of them are expensive as the Blaser!! The out - of - box performance of all these rifles is flawless and good under 1moa with five shot groups.
Calibre choices are enormous, doesn't matter what you choose, European or American.
If you are hunting mostly in Europe, I'd go with the 7x64 Brenneke for the "normal stuff" and longer distances. The 9,3x62 for the classical driven hunts on wild boars, deer, moose or whatever.

BTW, if the Italian gunsmith aren't good enough, so then just move a little bit north to Austria and you'll surely find what you need!
Austrians/Germans know how to build some weapons and optics....That's for sure. They make some tasty beers, too. Warsteiner Blonde is one of my favorites.

Austrians/Germans know how to build some weapons and optics....That's for sure. They make some tasty beers, too. Warsteiner Blonde is one of my favorites.

Choosing and discussing calibres/barrels for the purpose of hunting, yes piles of them while consuming Warsteiner at the same time ... Must be heaven on earth! :D

The Merkel also has the distinction of being the least attractive rifle currently produced

Where have you got this totally wrong information from? Based on sales in NZ or what? Here in Europe the Merkel Helix is attractive and a serious concurrent for Blaser. Especially because you don't find the everlasting rumors due to safety issues and accidents with the Blaser R93 in the middle of the storm. Because you spent money on a Blaser doesn't mean that other products are inferior or worthless.

Where have you got this totally wrong information from? Based on sales in NZ or what? Here in Europe the Merkel Helix is attractive and a serious concurrent for Blaser. Especially because you don't find the everlasting rumors due to safety issues and accidents with the Blaser R93 in the middle of the storm. Because you spent money on a Blaser doesn't mean that other products are inferior or worthless.

It's just my personal opinion that the Merkel is an extraordinarily unattractive, i.e. ugly, gun.

Last edited:
It's just my personal opinion that the Merkel is an extraordinarily unattractive, i.e. ugly, gun.
RTEmagicC_dcc50887b2.jpg.jpg

I don't see the "ugly"..

It's also getting great reviews.

Rx.Helix wins Petersen's Editors Choice Award

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.