two gun battery...6.5 creed more and 280AI??

Elkwonder

I am trying to cut down to just two rifles to do all my hunting. I was thinking the 6.5 creedmore could do everything from coyotes to antelopes and even mule deer. However I think a 280AI will do everything I need from mule deer to elk.
The problem is these two calibers are not THAT far apart and it could be argued that I should have a little more separation between the two if Im only gonna run two calibers. Am I wrong for seeing it this way? Should I go either smaller or larger than one of these two calibers to make a little more separation?
Also if I was going to go larger than the 280AI, I probably wouldn't want to go larger than the 7mm mag because of recoil. Thanks

300 WSM on the top side might work. I have one. Very accurate and a muzzle brake is not needed. It would give you a 30 cal and allow bullets like the 210 VLD or 215 Berger

Dont own a 6.5 so i cant really speak to that but i wouldnt think there would be enough practical difference between a 280ai and a 7mm rem mag to justify spending $$ on a new barrel brass dies ect unless you already have the components all laying around. Personally I dont see much wrong with your choices. If a 7mag is the upper end of the recoil spectrum i would think a 30 cal mag of any sort would be out of the question especially without a brake. The only question That comes to mind is how much farther do you need to be able to kill an elk beyond the capabilities of the 6.5?

I would focus more on how the rifle is set up for my shooting needs.

Example being set up the 6.5 in a heavier tactical style rifle, and the .280 in a lighter weight hunting rifle. Or the .280 in a heavier LRH style, and the 6.5 in something handier.

Even identical calibers can be made to work, 2 30-06's or whatever caliber meets your needs.

Endless combinations possible, just set them up to cover whatever shooting needs you may have.

I have a buddy that can get me a really god deal on new Legendary arms works rifles. So since they have a muzzle break, I am thinking a good combo may be 6.5 creedmore and 300wm. I figure I can always just leave the muzzle break on while hunting with the 300wm.

I am trying to cut down to just two rifles to do all my hunting. I was thinking the 6.5 creedmore could do everything from coyotes to antelopes and even mule deer. However I think a 280AI will do everything I need from mule deer to elk.
The problem is these two calibers are not THAT far apart and it could be argued that I should have a little more separation between the two if Im only gonna run two calibers. Am I wrong for seeing it this way? Should I go either smaller or larger than one of these two calibers to make a little more separation?
Also if I was going to go larger than the 280AI, I probably wouldn't want to go larger than the 7mm mag because of recoil. Thanks
There's just not really enough difference ballistically in the performance of the 6.5's and the .280/.280AI for it to make much sense to me particularly with Elk on The Menu.

If you are serious about cutting down to just two with one being a 6.5 it makes a lot more sense to me to make the other a .30 cal.

If I'm shooting deer sized or larger game I want to shoot them through the shoulders and have a nice exit wound every time to minimize tracking/lost game.

My 2 gun battery is a 6.5 creedmoor, and a 300 Win Mag. 6.5 is for anything deer size and smaller, and 300 WM is for things bigger than deer.

Good factory loads available for both of these calibers, and the ammunition is readily available.

I also have a 2 gun battery, 6.5 Creedmoot and a 7mm Rem mag. The Creed is my do everything from varmints,deer, to long range targets. My 7mm Rem mag is for more or less a walking rifle and i wanted a rifle with magnum performance. I agree with everyone in that the 280 AI wold be too close to the 6.5. Id go with a minimum of a 7mm RM but a 300 Win mag would be a good choice as well.

You should give a hard look at a 6mm of some sort and then your 280/7mm or 300 mag of your choosing. A good 6 is an absolute riot and to me it's a better "small" gun than a 6.5. I own both a 6 and 6.5 Creedmoor and as soon as I build my big gun the 6.5 won't get shot much.

A small 6.5, like a .260 Rem or 6.5 Creepmoor, and a 7mm RemMag would make a nice do-all setup.

I'm kind of in the same boat with 6.5 creedmoor and 284 Win. I cut the 6.5 for now and will get a 375 Ruger for my big needs

In the abstract, we can all rationalize our wants. The reality is just about any reasonable big game cartridge will kill all North American big game.

If I had wisdom that comes with age when I got in the gun buying business, I could easily live with two cartridges: something in the '06 family ('06, .280 Rem, .270 Win) and a Triple Deuce.

One would never go wrong with an '06. It has killed everything on Earth. I believe Eskimo and Inuit still use the '06 on everything including polar bear. Inuit also use a lot of the .303 British.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.