Two rifle battery choices

Thanks for that advice! I think I could eventually get them on the same trigger, a Timney for example. Frankly, I am fairly certain that there is no way I can get the two matching at this point. Each manufacturer offers something different that I want, so it's just gotta work that way, so it's good to hear that this has worked for you. Right now, it looks like ultimately, I'll probably getting what is essentially (but not exactly) a range certified Weatherby backcountry for the 300. Then probably a savage, maybe a predator hunter or perhaps a long range hunter in 6.5 creedmore or 260 rem.

Of course, that could change tomorrow, but when I look at the ballistics, especially in terms of wind drift, these two match up nicely. I did consider a 308, but the 6.5 just got closer as far as wind goes, and people tell me this is where it gets most difficult way out there.

Anyway, I still toy with the idea of a 223 instead, that low recoil and cheap ammo, and just fun to shoot has real appeal for me. But I may pick one of those up in a year or two for my sons to use for practice as well, so that might wait. But still have not decided for sure.

I am fairly certain that I will not get a 243, however. For what I want, long range shooting, I just can't get the twist I need to shoot the bullets I need to shoot those kinds of distances.
You will not regret going with the .260 if you decide on that route.

Yeah, I think so too. Other than the Savage, do you have a recommendation of other factory guns I should look at? I do want a heavy barrel, so that puts a regular Tikka out, and also, unfortunately for me, the Vanguard.

Yeah, I think so too. Other than the Savage, do you have a recommendation of other factory guns I should look at? I do want a heavy barrel, so that puts a regular Tikka out, and also, unfortunately for me, the Vanguard.
They are hard to come by but if you can find a 700 CDL in .260 I think you would be very happy with it. I set out to get one but ended up with the .264 instead and buddy it's a shooter.

It doesn't have what I'd call a "heavy barrel" either but I've been hammering coyotes with it as far a 900yds with regularity.

My wife wanted me to go ahead and get one in .260 too but she got to shooting the .264 and told me that was all I needed HA! gun)

All I did to mine was lap the trigger and bolt, float it, pillar bed it and shoot it. Couldn't be happier.

If you like the M70 action as much as I do then I'd say talk to Montana Rifles and get one built on their action of buy a donor and get Chris over at Benchmark to square it up and install one of his barrels in it.

How quickly do the barrels on these heat up? The reason I ask is that I want the 260 for extended shooting sessions at the range, so that is one reason why I really want a heavy barrel...for that extra stiffness and heat resistance.

Like you, I am in Texas, so mid-summer, or even before then, it's dreadful on barrels. I have a couple classes I am waiting to take (need to get the rifle problems sorted first), and I'll apparently be shooting a bunch throughout the day....hence the desire for something that can handle the heat better than the standard sporter weight barrel.

There just are hardley any 260/6.5 rifles out there. Cabelas had a real steal on 6.5x284 LR hunters a month or two back, but I think they are all gone now. Other choices with a beefy barrel are the Predator hunters. Tikka has a varmint, but I don't think it's actually available here in 6.5...plus it's out of my price range.

However, if a regular weight barrel would work, Weatherby has a synthetic that would fit the bill nicely, and be a perfect match for the other Weatherby I am going to get. I just don't think the barrel will be any good for too many shots, especially since it's pressure bedded due to it's light #2 contour.

How quickly do the barrels on these heat up? The reason I ask is that I want the 260 for extended shooting sessions at the range, so that is one reason why I really want a heavy barrel...for that extra stiffness and heat resistance.

Like you, I am in Texas, so mid-summer, or even before then, it's dreadful on barrels. I have a couple classes I am waiting to take (need to get the rifle problems sorted first), and I'll apparently be shooting a bunch throughout the day....hence the desire for something that can handle the heat better than the standard sporter weight barrel.

There just are hardley any 260/6.5 rifles out there. Cabelas had a real steal on 6.5x284 LR hunters a month or two back, but I think they are all gone now. Other choices with a beefy barrel are the Predator hunters. Tikka has a varmint, but I don't think it's actually available here in 6.5...plus it's out of my price range.

However, if a regular weight barrel would work, Weatherby has a synthetic that would fit the bill nicely, and be a perfect match for the other Weatherby I am going to get. I just don't think the barrel will be any good for too many shots, especially since it's pressure bedded due to it's light #2 contour.
The .260 like it's parent the .308 will not be hard on barrels.

Keep to my rule of no more than three shots per minute and then let it cool down 5 min before shooting again and I doubt you could shoot one out in a lifetime.

The .260 will be less of a problem than the 6.5x284 in that regard.

Take a can of "canned air" like you use to clean off computer parts and give it a blow through between groups and that should help a great deal as well.

Remember heavier barrels heat slower but they also take longer to cool down.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.