How do I get rid of tension?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by ShtrRdy, Sep 10, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Orange Dust

Orange Dust Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with focusing on the reticle. Guess it depends on what you want to accomplish. First off, I will say I have never been to sniper school. Never had any interest in shooting humans. I have shot competition all my life and killed more than my share of game, some of it at distances best measured on a map. I still shoot between 30-40k rounds a year in different guns. Focusing on the reticle works perfectly fine as long as both you and the target are stationary. Same with focusing on the front site of a handgun, or the bead of a shotgun. Problems start when the target is moving. Whenever you take your focus off the target and apply it to whatever sight you have the gun will instantly stop. You can easily prove it to yourself. Next time you are at the range get up off your belly and stand up and shoot at steel at 500yds. Leave your scope turned up. Focus on the reticle and you will chase it all over the place. Focus on the target and watch it settle. Then go to the clays range. Try it with a shotgun with rifle sights, or a contender pistol. Focus on the front sight and try and measure the lead. Impossible to hit consistantly, and if you do manage to hit it, it will require excess lead because you are trying to shoot it with a dead gun. Focus on the target and you can consistently hit it. If you learn to focus on the target you will be become not only a better shooter in all situations. You will be faster getting the shot off. Matters with live targets.

Chase723 likes this.
  2. ShtrRdy

ShtrRdy Well-Known Member

What is 2" center - center?

3. JimmyCP

JimmyCP Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I have young shooters dry fire as everyone states above, also make the take the head out of the scope visual the target in their head put their head back in and squeeze.

Concentration and recoil anticipation screws them up all the time.
    My shoulders are so bad that on a shot that counts it's not even on my shoulder and I eat the hit.

4. LongestShot

LongestShot Well-Known Member

I reduced my MOA by fifty percent by spending a considerable amount of time Dry firing my rifle. You get a feel for the trigger and can anticipate the release after a period of time. After 2,000-3,000 dry fires, the trigger pull and release become second nature.

JimmyCP and ShtrRdy like this.
  5. TBell

TBell Well-Known Member

Well might need to check with your doctor, but some one once told me a couple of aspirins an hour before his golf game smothered out his swing. I had been down in my normal score in skeet and tried it and improved my score by 3 birds. He said it pulled out the tension in the muscle.

If there is or is not a physiological reason that it helped, I don't know, if it is a mental placebo I don't know. Point is if it improved my game, it improved my game.