How do I get rid of tension?

As a suggestion. Try taller scope mounts. Use to be we liked as low as possible scope mounts. But this result in tons on neck and shoulder tension as you tilt the head to view thru the scope.
This is great advise. A more erect head eases tension on that area. Just raise the comb to keep cheek weld.

As a suggestion. Try taller scope mounts. Use to be we liked as low as possible scope mounts. But this result in tons on neck and shoulder tension as you tilt the head to view thru the scope.
That is solid advice, never thought of it that way. I suppose positioning scope forward or back may work too. I guess all my rifles are comfy.

Meditate , relaxation exercises , teach your self to stop worrying about where you hit on the target , self talk that you are there for fun not to compete with any body , listen to some calming music on the way there . Study some of the material available on shooting and relaxation . get comfortable when you set up to shoot get set the right height , so you aren't bending over or trying to stretch to reach the rifle, and the proper length of pull use a cheek piece so that you don't have to fight to find full vision in your scope and can maintain it , adjust your scope so that it is set for your vision and the proper amount of parallax check that you are using the right amount of magnification not too much and not too little . So many things can play into neck tension probably not just one thing but a combination of things stop and think about some of the things that you are doing that don't feel comfortable to you as you are doing them .

Years ago I was involved in competitive archery. Due to injuries and age I no longer shoot a bow. During my learning time with a bow however, I read a book entitled Zen and the art of Archery. Putting into practice the suggestions , my shooting improved dramatically. I now employ the same thinking to my rifle and handgun shooting. There are many topics about Zen and shooting on you tube. Check them out and just try it, you may be surprised. Just get into your Zen moment, I guarantee, it won't hurt to try!

Pull the trigger with your thumb behind the trigger guard and your index finger only. Do not grip the rifle with your hand. Let the horse have its head. This will stop you from being able to incorporate twist in the rifle when you pull the trigger. Do not touch the rifle other than your thumb, index finger and shoulder on butt pad. You'll get the muscle memory to relax your entire arm as all you need to move is your index finger :) Seen a lot of pros do this. Really helped me. Do this off a rest obviously.

I shot benchrest in the '70's and when I attended my first LE sniper school, focus was on the reticle instead of the target, accept that there will always be movement and don't press the trigger until the momentary pause when you fully exhale as you begin the press. Your lungs are as empty as possible which reduces tension in the chest/lungs. Air in the lungs amplify the transmission of every heartbeat and twitch to the scope which you will see and try to compensate for. Breathe, relax and allow it to happen. Think of releasing the trigger along with the tension and be surprised when it goes off..

A lot of good info but for me it took lots of rounds thru a 308 and mine doesnt kick maybe like a 22-250 and how you hold your gun is the most imporant plus a light trigger, I use 2 lbs on all 15 of my guns all the way up to 28 nozzler and you will never regret using a lite trigger. May not be for everyone but there is no antisapation of when the shot will break just knowing your on target and ready kind of hard to input what a hard trigger will do to you. Just remember ant one can shoot good if you put enough rounds down range by using the right fundamentals never use more than one hand on rifle when shooting from bench. someone told you how to hold your gun in this thread and he is spot on. GB

I'm working on fine tuning my "shot cycle" and have determined that I usually have tension build up in my neck and shoulder as I'm about to break the shot. This is preventing my ability to group shots into less than 1/2". I think my follow through is pretty good. I keep the trigger pressed back and my head on the stock through recoil. I find that having the rear bag firm is very important to avoid vertical stringing.

So, if any of you have had to work through lingering recoil anticipation problems, what did you do to cure it?

Something that happened this past weekend that made it painfully obvious to me that I have a problem. I was shooting 3-shot groups off the bench. ( 3 shots is about all I can do and keep it together at this time ) Starting the next group I did some dry fire practice then placed a cartridge into the ejection port and closed the bolt. I did my best to get calm and relaxed and break the shot at the bottom of the breathing cycle. I had to keep breathing and waiting until the tension wasn't building before increasing pressure on the trigger to break the shot. I felt that it was a good shot. I then did some more dry fire cycles and placed a cartridge into the ejection port. A friend had a question so I paused to chat for a minute. Then I went back to doing some dry fire. ( I forgot that i had placed a cartridge into the ejection port ) I closed the bolt, got relaxed and tension free and broke the shot at the bottom of the breathing cycle. Talk about a surprise break!! My follow through was good. I looked through the scope wondering where the heck that shot ended up. Well, it was basically in the same hole as my first shot. Wowzer! If I could do that each time I could get a good idea of just how well that rifle can shoot.
You may also try concentrating on relaxing your trigger hand. Begin at the trigger finger and you will feel the muscles in your hand relax and then you will feel the tension relax up your arm. It may take a little practice but it does work. It's actually karate style relaxation trick.

I had this issue when I started shooting magnums. I finally told myself" you are going to pull the trigger and take the recoil anyway. Might as well make it count." That helped me and can shoot the big boomers with no problem. It was just mind over matter.