Troble picking a rifle from internet. No gun stores around!

pluto

Hello

I live in Nova Scotia, and there are no gun stores with much selection within 1000kms of where I live in Canada, and I don't want to spend $1000 on a gun and not like it when I get it. There are distributors of good rifles that don't carry much if anything in stock, so I'd have to order a gun before even holding it.

I'm looking for a rifle for hunting and target shooting that handles well and doesn't feel like a toy. I'm not worried about sacrificing a little in the weight department to get a gun that feels good.

Want:

Sub-moa rifle in .308.
Open to either composite or wood stock.
I want a pretty rifle (gotta be brutally honest)
Want something with a cheekpiece.
Will reload my own ammo.
Will spend around $1000
Like varmint style rifles with heavy barrels.

So far, I've considered Weatherby Sub Moa varmint and Tikka T3 varmint stainless, but I'm looking for suggestions from people with experience as to what I should buy considering what I wrote above.

Thanks

Pluto,
"in .308". I'm thinking you mean .308 Winchester and not .308 caliber.? If this is the case I would look at any of the Savage 12 Target Rifle Series (BR, F/TR, Palma). Not sure of the price in your country but here they would meet the price criteria listed or be close.
Other models from Savage would be the 12BVSS and VLP. I have two of the BVSS's but long actions and they are incredibly accurate for factory rifles.
Other rifles to consider are the Remington 700 VS SF II (basically a short action Sendero) and the 700 VLS. The first being an H S Precision stock and the second being laminate.
All of these would fit the bill of a "pretty rifle" to me and are probably the most accurate that these two manufactorers produce in .308Win. JohnnyK.

I would go with a savage. They have a huge selection, and are some of the most accurate rifles out of the box you can buy. Aftermarket support is
good and you can do a lot of the upgrades yourself.

I would second the idea of looking at a Savage model 12 of some kind, I also really like the Sub-MOA Weatherby but I know some guys who can not shoot the Weatherby stock the way it is, for me I would suggest if at all possible to find a Weatherby to see if it fits you, some are like a glove!!

Savage 12 BVSS Wood Stock Accu Trigger MSRP $925
Savage 11 BTH (thumbhole) Wood Stock Accu Trigger $811
Savage 11 Long Ranger Hunter Syn. Accu Trigger/Accu Stock $934

Howa/Hogue Syn. (Grn/Blk/Tan) Stock 22" barrel $625
Howa Varminteer Wood Thumbhole Stock Heavy Stainless 24" Barrel $825

Google these rifles, see if they are what your looking for. They are all Sub Moa Rifles and will do what you want them to do. All have aftermarket parts available for future upgrades if needed or wanted. my 02. Good Luck and Good Shooting

Ranger Jim

You might want to check out the CanadianGunNutz.com website for new and used weapons. I can recommend Clay at Prophet River Firearms as an excellent person to deal with.( and as he is in Alberta, only 5% GST to pay on new purchases)

I have a couple Tikka T3's in SS lite. I would recommend them to anybody who likes a well machined, accurate rifle. The workmanship is pretty amazing. I like the removable mags too. The Finn's make great stuff and it all shoots sub-moa for me.
The only "limitations" of these rifles is that the mags limit C.O.L. which can be a pain with some cartridges. This has been an irritation with my Sako A7 in 300WSM. However, my T3's in .243 and 30-06 do not have this problem and I really doubt the .308 would since it is a bigger version of .243. I also wish the barrels were 24" instead of 22 3/8".

I could never recommend a Sub-moa to anybody in good faith due to a bad experience I had with one. They are all made in Japan by Howa and I thought the workmanship was pretty shabby and the bolt quite sticky.

I think a T3 varmint in .308 would be hard to beat, but if you have a 1000$ to spend, why not wait a little longer and just buy a Cooper for 1200$? That is a choice you would never regret.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.