Help picking a 280 ackley rifle

I know I said I would like to have a carbon fiber wrap barrel on the rifle I pick but I'm not dead set on it if I can find a good reliable accurate rifle with a steel barrel I would purchase it

I forgot to mention that in my post.i would like a 22 to a 26 inch barrel rifle . I would like to try a carbon fiber wrap barrel to keep it alittle lighter but still do good for bench work and not heat up like a pencil barrel. I know most rifles are 1/9.5 twist and I would like something with a 1/8 or 1/9 to be able to shoot heavier bullets.i would like the barrel to be threaded as well

The carbon barrel will heat up at the same rate as a "pencil barrel". The difference is that you won't be able to feel it on the outside of a carbon wrapped barrel.

Additionally, if the barrel is properly stress relieved, it won't matter a bit how hot it gets. There have been multiple tests done with various rifles and the ones with good barrels don't walk with heat. It is mirage that kills the accuracy when they get hot. Unless you are planning on using a suppressor, I would suggest sticking with a steel barrel. Get it fluted if you want to cut weight. Spend the extra money on optics and optics mounts.

For me, I would go with the Weatherby 307 or the Browning X-Bolt.

I just bought a Savage high country in 280ai. Really like this rifle. 22 in with a 9 twist barrel. Just going through the first 100 Peterson brass. So for it shoots 1/2 " groups with imr 4350 and 140 grain bullets just at a mid charge weight to fireform brass. I looked for an 8 twist but no browning available at the time. If i want to shoot Really heavy 7 mm bullets...I'll just go to my 8 twist 7 rem mag.

Only cool about a cf barrel is the look...but the price tag you pay isn't really cool.....I've a couple.....rather they were steel noodle barrels....oh..yes two of mine are noodles..easy to pack and shoot very well....
...but if you want a target/range rifle..buy something cheap to shoot the heck out of..then replace the barrel....

That's what my thoughts were with the High country rifle. I have replaced many savage barrels my self. I plan on having my boys shoot this instead of the 7 rem mag. The 280 ai is so close in velocity with less powder...makes sense for me. I'll replace the barrel when its done. It's so close....im really wanting to kill some elk with it. I have 5 or 600 175 eldx bullets that my browning 7 rm doesn't like ...hopefully they will work in the 280....need to shoot them up. But I'll still shoot 143 hammers at elk...proven performance... when i go elk hunting.

Yep..I think the faster lighter weight bullets in the 280ai...with less recoil is the real winner......I had 100gr hollowpoints loaded for a 7rm...took deer really well..
Also worked well on coons and other vermin....

Last edited:
If you're able to actually pick the rifle up and check how it fits and feels to you personally would be very beneficial. All the mentioned rifles are worth checking out, but the "feel" is important in the field. With a few minor tweaks (trigger/bedding) you should be able to dial your rifle in depending on what your goals. All my rifles, with the exception of my custom .280AI have had tweaks. But that's me and probably more than a few others on this forum. Good luck and keep us posted!