280 ackley

russell523

i have been loading some 175 accubond long range bullets with retumbo in a cooper Excalibur with some fairly good results. I had to make a drop tube to get enough in the case, my load is 62.5 grains and coal of 3.38 I was wondering if anyone else has loaded 175 or 180 grain bullets with retumbo avg velocity is 2860.

If it is hard to get enough Retumbo in the case, you should develop a load with H1000.

Well I sure want to here more on this as I have a M52 also and the 175s with that velocity is really interesting I have lots of Retumbo to use what primers are you using ,and what kind of accuracy at what distances?

I tried f215 at first but I switched to f210 I will post a picture of a 200 yard group a little later I made a drop tube with 3/8 copper. I was using barrel timing and quickloads the node for a 26 inch barrel and 175 acuubonds with retumbo is 2880 that what I was trying to get to pressure seems good I could put a little more powder in not much, when the weather gets a little better i will test this load again

If it is hard to get enough Retumbo in the case, you should develop a load with H1000.
Or he could develop a load with a certain slow-burning super short cut powder that is designed for JUST these type of situations... :D

IMR_7828_SSC_L.jpg

I think H1000 is a better choice.

I quit using H1000 when I found out how horrible it fluctuated from lot-to-lot, and how it is not as temp sensitive as they try to fool you into believing...

I haven't had a single issue with 7828 SSC. I shoot it in my .25-06 AI and .30-06 AI with excellent results, therefore it's a natural assumption it will do well directly in between those 2 caliber, in the .280 AI, as well.

It's the most versatile powder I've ever used. For anything .25-06 up to .378 Wby and RUM calibers it will work good. Anything bigger and I'd suggest going with a .50 BMG powder.

It's the most versatile powder I've ever used. For anything .25-06 up to .378 Wby and RUM calibers it will work good. Anything bigger and I'd suggest going with a .50 BMG powder.

I agree! My Dad worked up loads with it in his .240 WBY and his .300 WBY and now I am working up a load using 105 A-MAXs in my .243 with the SSC. Looks good so far!

I haven't overlooked it. I've got 12 pounds of it in rectangular metal cans that say Dupont on them. I just don't think it is the best choice for everything.

I haven't overlooked it. I've got 12 pounds of it in rectangular metal cans that say Dupont on them. I just don't think it is the best choice for everything.

Use those 12lbs. It is a great powder just give it a try. Works in the .240 with 87gr bullets and the .300 WBY with 190s, 200s, and 220s. Gives great velocity with all of them.

Take a look at Ramshot Magnum I was able to get 2880 fps out of the 175 ABLR in my 280 Ackley..

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.