.280 vs .280 Ackley ?

I dont envy you guys with the Hogs you have to contend with............Its probably the only real dangerous animal we have in the lover 48. I would imagine that you have some really big one in your area. Something that would demand a heavy bullet. Deer and Elk are one thing but a big bore hog is a whole new ball came, it not so much about long range but more about stopping power.

I heard some years ago that in Alabama there were so many deer that you could legally take one a day.......................??

G

Shhhhhhh!!!! Don't tell anyone one here that! They seem to think you can't kill them unless you have a .338 or bigger caliber... I'm serious, I've been in alot of arguements on here wondering why you weren't supposed to use anything smaller than a .338 caliber. I've never shot one, I was curious as to why not, since alot of people killed them with 7mm RemMags back in the day.

Personally, I'm a fan of shot-placement. And by that logic, a 7mm bullet can be just as effective as a .50 BMG if you shoot a moose in the pump-house...

There's a guy on here who killed a HUGE bull moose @ 900+ yards, dead in his tracks, with a 7mm Rem Mag. I remember seeing his pictures in the thread, but can't remember his name. There's not much to argue with after bringing that one up..... :D

Ya have to use that special 338 ammo. Its loaded especially for "them" by a bunch of Yoda-like guys that reload in the basement of a burnout church in Decker Montana. Its "special" stuff dude. They also load a 338-378 round but only when the plastic scoop isnt being used in the kitchen. Its a devil of a round and the mere muzzle flash coming out of that 1" X 32 inch SST barrel will combust the hair right off an alleycat crossing the back yard when they are zeroing it in.

I dont envy you guys with the Hogs you have to contend with............Its probably the only real dangerous animal we have in the lover 48. I would imagine that you have some really big one in your area. Something that would demand a heavy bullet. Deer and Elk are one thing but a big bore hog is a whole new ball came, it not so much about long range but more about stopping power.

I heard some years ago that in Alabama there were so many deer that you could legally take one a day.......................??

G

And each one is about the size of a German Shepard dog.....totally serious.

I saw on the Outdoor channel a week or so ago where..?? Mississippi?? ( I think??) has an open season on hogs....bag limit is ...you can shoot all you want!

G
Yeah, they started that years back....2 does, or 1 doe & 1 buck are max limits.

Although we've whacked many does, and if the GW stopped by, we'd just spread the count amongst our numbers. It all equals itself out. :D

And NO, they are not all the size of german shepherd dogs...:D Hey, it's not out fault they aren't Muley sized......Which I wish they were...

Hogs is open season year-round, unlimited bag. Some of them get huge if you go way deeper back in the swamps...Trust me, I've had a few encounters several miles from my truck with 10 bullets and the bottom of my tree (climber) was surrounded by a whole herd of big russian hogs, out in Lowndes County, AL. It was not a fun feeling, b/c I tried to scare them away, but they just kept hangin around. They will attack, they're not skiddish like deer are.

Last edited:
Ya have to use that special 338 ammo. Its loaded especially for "them" by a bunch of Yoda-like guys that reload in the basement of a burnout church in Decker Montana. Its "special" stuff dude. They also load a 338-378 round but only when the plastic scoop isnt being used in the kitchen. Its a devil of a round and the mere muzzle flash coming out of that 1" X 32 inch SST barrel will combust the hair right off an alleycat crossing the back yard when they are zeroing it in.
Hahahaha!!! I got a friend in PA, and he said he mostly hunts them with a .300 WM or his .35 Whelen, but that they've harvested plenty of Elk with a .22 Magnum rifle shooting them in the ear or in the neck and taking out their spinal cord. Which tells me that they are not some monsterous impossible to kill animal... They are in the deer genus, and I've killed deer with .17 & .22 caliber bullets with no issues. A guy I used to deer hunt with would drop them in a heartbeat with a .22-250 and a neck-shot.

You gotta love them Montanans! :cool:

Everything has it's place, and there's nothing in the world wrong with the big bore calibers. Nothing at all.

In this next part of my post, I am referring to folks around MY neck of the woods, where something that large is totally unncessary. If someone from Alabama has a caliber like that they either A) are grossly overcompensating, or B) have a little man complex, or C) the legit possibility that they might go out of town to hunt big game, which is rare, but does happen.

Unfortunately alot of morons around here have LDS, and feel the need to have something like that to kill 100-250lb whitetail deer with, when most of them couldn't shoot 300 yards to save their life. Which is why I am pretty against the big bores. Simply because they are totally unneccary around these parts. Yes, I own a .338 WinMag. I bought it for next to nothing, simply for the action. However, I gave the caliber a chance, and shot 40 rounds through it (ammo the previous owner gave me), and it wouldn't group, so now it's being converted to something else more to my liking... So, I can honestly say that I have had a .338, and was not a fan. But it was only because the rifle wouldn't shoot, and nothing to do with bore diameter.

I guess I just never mentioned that, and figured yall knew that we didn't have any monster animals here in Alabama, like yall do up north.....Guess I was wrong, which is what caused alot of controversy in my previous posts.

Which I appologise for...But I hope now yall understand where I'm coming from. :)

I might just stick with my .243AI until it totally lets me down, besides when the day comes when I take any animal coyote size or bigger at or beyond 400 I just might give it more thought. Time will tell as Deer season out here in Nevada opens on Oct. 5th and runs through the first of November. Then my Elk tag I drew for the late hunt opens on Dec 17 through Janu 10th.... I will let you know if the 100 gr bullet let me down or I let the bullet down by asking it to kill something were it cant.

You guys back East keep away from those Hogs if I never see you on line I will know what happened, NOT ENOUGH GUN

G

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.