280 ackley suggestions

Sounds like I need to try Retumbo. My current load is 60 grains of H4831, 168 Berger hybrid, RP brass & Fed 215 at 2900 fps out of a 26 inch tube.

got it all put together!!!
10942572_890318510990166_4564014039910032378_o.jpg

I am crazy happy with this gun, i still need to have the action bedded, get a bipod and a good sling but she weighs in right at 10 pounds as of now which is very huntable (for me) i love how pacnor made the barrel a solid contour, goes perfect with the boydes stock that has the bull barrel channel, looks real clean in person. Shot it a couple times the other day (shot one round and clean blah blah blah break in) i dont believe in it but with as much money as i have in it i will take every precaution i can. I am just fire forming some factory 280 and it actually shot pretty decent. Still not done with break in tho. I plan on using the fire formed brass for my hunting loads, i think i will try speer's 130 grain boat tail. I wont spend much time developing a hunting load, even a load thats only able to give 1.5 in groups at 100 would be fine for deer hunting*where i hunt. Ive kinda changed my mind on my target load tho, i will still use nosler brass but i saw the hornady 162 gr match bullets are almost half the price of bergers and have a bc of .610 vs berger 168s at .617 I figure i will give the hornadys a shot first and if i cant get them to shot then i will spend the extra coin on the bergers.

2tall- don't shoot that thing again until you do the bedding! I was impatient with mine and shot it just bolted into the stock and SPLIT IT at the rear action screw. Unless you were lucky enough to get a perfect fit with your inlet (I like Boyd's, but the inlets are usually not a perfect fit without some work) you could make yourself a repair project in just a few dozen shots....
If you already broke it, PM me and I'll tell you how I repaired mine as part of my bedding job.

Oh wow i didnt think bedding it was THAT important, my smith told me not to work up a target load until it was bedded cuz it would change how the gun shoots but i see how a gun could break the stock if it wasnt a good fit especially if there was a gap at the lug. I'll take your word for it cuz i dont feel like replacing my pretty stock already lol

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.