280 ackley suggestions

Well my gunsmith told me that since im not a competition shooter i could probably get away with saving a few bucks on a er shaw and use the saved money on reloading supplys but i understand your guys point about not wanting to cheep out on the barrel as i do see the importance in the quality of the barrel. I emailed shilen and asked them if their chamber specs are P.O. version or nosley/remington version, if it is i would say the extra $125 over the shaw especially since they hand lap their stainless barrels which is what i want. Ive read good things about shilen, thoughts? Thank you guys for all the responses

Huh? Are you wanting shilen to chamber it? A barrel blank is literally just a tube of steel with a bore. Your gunsmith uses a reamer to chamber whatever cartridge you want. It's his reamer that decides if you're going to have a PO or SAAMI 280. If you're going to spend the money on a shilen then just go to mid south shooter supply and buy a Krieger or bartlein. Sure they're a little more but they're literally the best you can get. You won't regret it. You're not doing ourself any favors by going for a PO. Excuse me if I am mistaken but you sound fairly new to this world, and you really should save yourself the headache of fire forming and everything else associated with using the odd-ball version. For one resell of that rifle will be greatly reduced. The vast majority of people want/use the saami spec.

I have a savage 110 in 30-06 that i plan on changing to 280ai (the real p.o. version) i told my gunsmith that i wanted to have a rifle i can go hunt elk, antelope, and shoot steel out to 1000 yards (not competatively just for fun) I know my 06 can do all of those things but if it were 280 ai it would do it a whole lot better. Ive been reloading for a while with several different caliblers and im just looking for a rifle to build and have it all exactly how i want. I told my gunsmith what i wanted and he said er shaw would be the way to go for me, im thinking either their magnum contour or their heavy mag contour which is only 4 ounces heavier. Any one with a heavy mag contour from er shaw?? Also ive been reading about the 2 versions, i ask er shaw and they said theirs is the original longer chamber. So im wondering what i should i do for brass since i cant use nosler ai brass without creating a false shoulder. I thought i'd just buy 5 boxes of regular 280 but its a little higher than i expected, and winchester which is usually my first pick is all nickle plated so i have no desire for 280 winchester brass....hows remington brass in 280? Is norma or nostler 280 brass worth the price over remington brass? Also i see lots of ppls load data includes mag primers for the 280 ai, i figured i would try both and use whats best but is it a nesecity in the cartrage? I know this is getting long but one last thing, what powder have you guys had luck with using 168 grain bullets? Any help is greatly appriciated

IIWY, I'd stay with .30-06 (AI it if you need the extra oomph). There guys here propelling the the Berger .210s and .215s with their .308 Wins and .30-06s at the 1k yards.

IIWY, I'd stay with .30-06 (AI it if you need the extra oomph). There guys here propelling the the Berger .210s and .215s with their .308 Wins and .30-06s at the 1k yards.

Respectfully asking, not trying to argue at all...I happen to REALLY like the 30-06 too, darn fine round, does a lot for what it is and all that...capable of darn fine accuracy too....but...

What is the advantage over the 280 Ackley? Looks like a pretty tight race to me...not counting trajectory.

30-06, 215 Berger, estimated MV with 26" barrel...this is loading to 63k psi, did the same for the Ackley below.

280 Ackley, 168 Berger, estimated MV with 26" barrel...

I really like this chart, really shows how much respect the 06 deserves...the only problem is that my rifle only likes 150 and 165 grains, my best is just under 1moa at 100 yards and surprisingly thats with the 165 gr sierra hpbt on top of 55 grains of imr 4350 and its good for deer but in order to shoot long range with good ballistics you need heavier bullets with high bc like the berger you listed and for some reason my gun doesnt like 178 amax and 190 smk also 180 remington green box shot terrible so i think she just likes the medium weight bullets

Respectfully asking, not trying to argue at all...I happen to REALLY like the 30-06 too, darn fine round, does a lot for what it is and all that...capable of darn fine accuracy too....but...

What is the advantage over the 280 Ackley? Looks like a pretty tight race to me...not counting trajectory.

30-06, 215 Berger, estimated MV with 26" barrel...this is loading to 63k psi, did the same for the Ackley below.

280 Ackley, 168 Berger, estimated MV with 26" barrel...

There's a reason the .30-06 has been around for over 100 years and still going strong. Brass and bullet is a huge advantage!

Check out the energy levels on your chart at 700 yards. If your unwritten rule of thumb is to harvest an elk size game is 1500 FT-LBS at point of impact, the .30-06 has the advantage.

I originally wanted a .280 AI but went with .270 AI instead and never looked back. It was also a Savage 110 LA. My current set-up was built primarily for the 165 and 175 Matrix VLDs (at least initially). My current accuracy load propels the 175 Matrix VLD at 2993 FPS.

There's a reason the .30-06 has been around for over 100 years and still going strong. Brass and bullet is a huge advantage!

Check out the energy levels on your chart at 700 yards. If your unwritten rule of thumb is to harvest an elk size game is 1500 FT-LBS at point of impact, the .30-06 has the advantage.

I originally wanted a .280 AI but went with .270 AI instead and never looked back. It was also a Savage 110 LA. My current set-up was built primarily for the 165 and 175 Matrix VLDs (at least initially). My current accuracy load propels the 175 Matrix VLD at 2993 FPS.

True enough...not a big difference in ballistics though, in any of them, lol...I'm not well read on the super premium bullets like the Matrix in your 270 or some of those types of 175-180 grain bullets for the 280...but I'm assuming they all look about the same, comparatively speaking (best vs best in each weight class)...can't be that much difference, the rounds are too close to the same, lol (capacity, bullet weight, diameter)

I do enjoy discussing the finer points though...I've been an Ackley fan for a long time (about 30 years), owned a 280 AI back in the 80's but didn't have the means then to do much with it (poor teenage farm boy), so I let it go...but never got over it, lol...so I recently ordered another one (41 year old with a little better funding)...Ackley rounds may not always be a huge improvement over standard...but most are still an improvement, however small...Ackley was on the right track all those years ago.

A 270AI with a high BC 175 grain bullet and enough barrel to send it at 3,000 fps is a force to be reckoned with...thats for sure...but I can never bring myself to get a barrel over 24", I hate carrying the darn things (even 24")...being here in northeast TN where I still have to "go in after them" quite ofen, I just don't think a barrel over 24" is practical for me...if it was a dedicated LR rifle though, I could go as long as 28" maybe.

We all just sorta pick one...I picked the 280 Ackley many years ago, based largely on the writings of Jim Carmichael expounding the greatness of the 280 Remington...I figured if the 280 Rem was so good, then the Ackley could only be better.

I like things "optimum"...and the 280 (and presumably the 270) Ackley rounds are about as good as it gets without going all out magnum...Remington hit a sweet spot with the 7mm Rem SUAM too in my opinion (a short 280 Ackley).

Guns are fun...I say we enjoy them all!!!

The 30-06...yes, its awesome, always was, always will be...had one that would do some amazing things out to 600 yards with 168 grain Nosler Ballistic tips, it shot Berger 175's pretty darn good too...you'll never hear me say a bad word about the old war horse...but I'm just about all in on sharper shoulders (at least 35 degrees) and less body taper...as I said before, however slight the improvement is...its still an improvement.

I don't give much thought to component availability...after I figure out what I want to use in a rifle, I buy enough of it to last me right then and there (or as soon as I find it)...my 280 AI for example, leaning heavily towards the 160 Accubond, not the best bullet, but a good one, got 250 to use to feel it out...if it works, I'll buy enough to wear out that barrel and won't have to worry about bullets ever again...same for powder, I have 4 lbs. of MRP, if it doesn't work I'll use it in something, MRP is a versatile powder that works in lots of rounds (IMR 7828ssc is my next choice)....its an expensive rifle ($3,820), at least for me, I'll only use it for hunting...25-50 rounds per year...I have other less expensive toys to play with for general shooting...I could afford to rebarrel as necessary, but just don't want the hassle (takes too long, no local smiths)...already have enough brass, started buying that a while back....may sound crazy to some, but after the last several years (since 2008) I don't trust the supply to meet the demand...I'm not a hoarder, I just don't like being dependent upon availability...and barring a catastrophic disassembly of some sort, this will be the last rifle I ever buy, might as well have ample supply of components...should be SOP for anybody that has decided they have what they want...common round or not....at least for that one particular round that you don't want to run out of.

Last edited:
The 30-06...yes, its awesome, always was, always will be...had one that would do some amazing things out to 600 yards with 168 grain Nosler Ballistic tips, it shot Berger 175's pretty darn good too...you'll never hear me say a bad word about the old war horse...but I'm just about all in on sharper shoulders (at least 35 degrees) and less body taper...as I said before, however slight the improvement is...its still an improvement.

That's why I commented ...

... if I need another 50 FPS or so from .270 AI, I can do 270 Sherman if and when I need to re-barrel.

I want to thank everyone for all replys, lots of good info. I have been doing some more home work and some thinking. Im sticking with the 280 ackley because i think its the perfect compromise of everything i want. But i have talked to pac nor and they can get me a prefit barrel for my savage in both the 280 ackley versions and ive decided that since i have a choice with that brand i will go with the nosler version. Pac nor seems to have TONS of good reviews. They are at the very top of my price range that i want to spend but i see everyones point about quality and i think the price will be worth it

I want to thank everyone for all replys, lots of good info. I have been doing some more home work and some thinking. Im sticking with the 280 ackley because i think its the perfect compromise of everything i want. But i have talked to pac nor and they can get me a prefit barrel for my savage in both the 280 ackley versions and ive decided that since i have a choice with that brand i will go with the nosler version. Pac nor seems to have TONS of good reviews. They are at the very top of my price range that i want to spend but i see everyones point about quality and i think the price will be worth it

Wise decisions have been made.

Well i took the plunge, just got off the phone with pac nor and they said my barrel will be done in about 16 weeks, i went ahead and got the super match grade over the regular match grade, they said all it is is they spend more time handlapping it but i figured the extra $20 might be worth the time saved in cleaning the darn thing idk may be a waste but oh well, im pretty excited about my first build! I talked to my friend who is the best gunsmith within 100 miles of me and he said hes never personally used pac nor but has heard good things....hopefully the extra money spent will be worth it, i think it will be but i guess we'll see!!!

Well i took the plunge, just got off the phone with pac nor and they said my barrel will be done in about 16 weeks, i went ahead and got the super match grade over the regular match grade, they said all it is is they spend more time handlapping it but i figured the extra $20 might be worth the time saved in cleaning the darn thing idk may be a waste but oh well, im pretty excited about my first build! I talked to my friend who is the best gunsmith within 100 miles of me and he said hes never personally used pac nor but has heard good things....hopefully the extra money spent will be worth it, i think it will be but i guess we'll see!!!

Idk how much a pac nor costs and if you paid for it already nevermind this, but bartlein and Krieger are usually considered #1 and #2 barrel makers. Neither in any particular order. midsouthshooterssupply.com I'm sure has between one of those brands, in stock, a 7mm blank of probably any contour or length you want

Idk how much a pac nor costs and if you paid for it already nevermind this, but bartlein and Krieger are usually considered #1 and #2 barrel makers. Neither in any particular order. midsouthshooterssupply.com I'm sure has between one of those brands, in stock, a 7mm blank of probably any contour or length you want

Well i already ordered it but honestly er shaw may have been good enough for me, im not a benchrest shooter so im not concerned with having the best barrel on the market really. And i just wanted a prefit, i figure thats the good thing about savages, theyre like a poor mans tc dimension not that i will be using it as one i just wanted to do whats easy since it is my first build. Ive read really good things about pac nor. And theyre making me a stainless top grade prefit for $435 in the chamber i wanted (280 ackley nosler version) so i didnt think that was too bad considering i couldnt find hardly anything bad about pac nor. Also the wait doesnt bother me, i plan on putting it all together with tax money...id hate to have a barrel sitting here on christmas and only having enough money to look at it lol

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.