.280 ackley

4KED HORN Ray Romain built my rifle. He used his reamer. the throat is long enough for the heavier bullets,but i can still seat a 140 gr. flat base bullet against the lands. The chamber is not a tight neck. I use a standard redding full length die to neck size my brass. Rays phone number is 814-265-1948. He has done a lot of work for me and his work is excellent.

Rem My freind Dave in Idaho had a 6.5 gibbs built by Ray and he has been quite happy with it. Thats one of the things I like about the .280, It's bigger than daves pet rifle round. Hehe.

Thanks again for the info. I will probably be asking more questions as this project continues. As I said in another post, this will be on the drawing board for quite a while but I am making notes and changes to notes constantly so all this info is not lost over time.

4ked Horn,..my gunsmith is located in Laurel Delaware. Likewise,..I can get the 140NBT firmly against the lands in my throat. Mike owns the reamer and has cut quite a few chambers in 280AI. This tube will group 140's all the way to the 162's.

Broad Creek Rifle Works
Mike Ruggiero (rouge-airy-oh)
302-875-5446

The 280 Ackley is one of THE BEST Ackleys. I've had and reloaded for two different 280A. Both shot great. Two ideas to consider. Use Win 270 brass because of its higher pressure web. A Redding tapered expander does a good initial expansion, then fireform, trim, check thicknesses, etc. The best powder I found was H450. Unfortunately, no longer made but still at gun shows & some gun shops. Sd ran as low as 1 for 5 shots. I thought my chrono was broke. Also, same velocity at all temperatures, including the first cold shot! Great caliber and accuracy round. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

What is a .280 ackley, a calibur or is Ackley a rifle brand?
What would seperate a remington .280 from a ackley .280, is one better than the other??

[ QUOTE ]
What is a .280 ackley, a calibur or is Ackley a rifle brand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Once upon a time there was a man named P.O. Ackley and his passion was to modify existing cartridges to improve their performance. His standard operating procedure was to remove most of the taper from a cartridge wall and to lift the shoulder angle. This would serve several purposes. It would increase case capacity in terms of volume, it would reduce rearward thrust against the boltface and since he based his improvements on some of the existing case dimensions it would allow the shooter to fire form the brass simply by shooting factory ammo in the new chamber.

Since his rounds were based on existing rounds they were not really a "wildcat" round. They were "Improved" so we end up with a 30-06 Ackley Improved or 30-06 AI and so on down the line.

If I'm not mistaken he used the same wall taper and shoulder angle on all the rounds so even now that he is no longer with us we can still make these changes and still call them AI.

[ QUOTE ]
What would seperate a remington .280 from a ackley .280, is one better than the other??

[/ QUOTE ]

The .280 AI is simply the same thing. It is a .280 Remington cartridge with the typical improvements. If you have a rifle that is chambered corectly then you can load .280 rem ammo and shoot it. The brass that comes out is new and improved and ready for reloading.

Many of the people I have coresponded with about this round claimed sub MOA groubs while fire forming brass and incredible groups after the improvements have been made. The .280 ackley is, in a nutshell, a 7mm mag without the jaw cracking kick. I fell in love with this round when it dawned on me that it is like the .243 winchesters big brother. It is a 1mm larger diameter bullet and has a fabulously flat trajectory. It squirts a 150 grain bullet out like a lightning bolt and with the relatively high ballistic coefficients there is enough umpff for elk at 800 yards, deer at 1000 and coyotes and other vermin as far as you dare.

Let me see if I have that.
You take a rem700 .280 and change the chamber just a little bit so that when you shoot factory ammo it re-shapes itself to fit the new chamber, which then turns your used brass into .280 Ackley brass.

Now the .280 ackley brass is reloaded, and now the case holds more powder, and the .280 now shoots with the performance of a 7mm mag, without the kick?

A rem700 .280 therefore can be brought to a gunsmith and have it changed to a .280 Ackley.

I guess the big drawback is that you wouldn't be able to take the rifle on any hunting trips where you had to use an airline, right? I'm guessing most airlines don't allow live ammo on the plane, and you wouldn't stand much of a chance finding any .280 AI when you get to where you are going to.

Did I get all of that straight?

Greenhorn... you're pretty close... the factory 280 is fired in your improved chamber and "voila", the expanded, fired case is a 280AI... and you can always shoot factory ammo in a pinch; as far as recoil, performance etc... it would be similar to 7mag but not exactly equal... as far as the airlines goes, I'm pretty sure you must pack ammo separately and specifically according to their regulations, you'll want to consult with them first; only requirement to convert to 280Ai is to have your gunsmith ream the chamber and re-set the barrel for you... any competent smith only needs the reamer to do this job for you...good shooting

Larry O pretty much took the words out of my mouth. Thanks for the reply.

I believe that the regulations require you to carry the ammo in its original factory containers (boxes) locked in a seperate piece of luggage than the rifle so technically no you cant fly with AI ammo (like larry said, you can still use .280 rem ammo, and with good results from what I've heard). But I'm not certain of this. I bet there are members here that have gone on many flying trips with guns and would know better than myself.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.