Help picking a 280 ackley rifle

SamuelBerryhill308

Hello all Im looking for recommendations for a factory rifle in 280 ackley improved ive been researching this cartridge for the past two or three years and ive been going back and forth between it and the good ol 30-06 but I believe I've settled on the 280 ackley but im not sure what rifle to get it in. I would love to have a custom built but its not in the budget at this time with another little one on the way but if I end up liking it as much as I think I will I will build a custom later on.anyways help me pick a factory rifle in 280 ackley. I like the way Christensen ridge lines feel in my hand but I know they are hit and miss. I've looked at savage ultra lites and I do like them but hate the stock. Haven't put my hands on much else so any input would be appreciated thanks again God bless

You have info on the cartridge, but what do you want in a rifle, light weight, fast twist, short, long, etc? What do you want to do with it. Those questions help answer your questions. I ask because as an example some 280ai's have a faster twist than others to shoot heavies or heavier mono's. I bought the browning xbolt speed long range with a faster twist intending to shoot heavy and it wasn't where I wanted it to be speed wise. Currently my son hunts with it shooting 140 grain absolute hunters at 3200+fps and does really well and i moved to a 7prc to get where i wanted. Also use the search function someone just went through some of the same questions recently.

You have info on the cartridge, but what do you want in a rifle, light weight, fast twist, short, long, etc? What do you want to do with it. Those questions help answer your questions. I ask because as an example some 280ai's have a faster twist than others to shoot heavies or heavier mono's. I bought the browning xbolt speed long range with a faster twist intending to shoot heavy and it wasn't where I wanted it to be speed wise. Currently my son hunts with it shooting 140 grain absolute hunters at 3200+fps and does really well and i moved to a 7prc to get where i wanted. Also use the search function someone just went through some of the same questions recently.
I forgot to mention that in my post.i would like a 22 to a 26 inch barrel rifle . I would like to try a carbon fiber wrap barrel to keep it alittle lighter but still do good for bench work and not heat up like a pencil barrel. I know most rifles are 1/9.5 twist and I would like something with a 1/8 or 1/9 to be able to shoot heavier bullets.i would like the barrel to be threaded as well

With the twist rate you want and carbon fiber that really narrows your search I think the fierce carbon rogue is the one I can find in a quick look. The other carbons I looked at either have a slower twist or aren't chambered in 280ai.

To those suggesting Fierce , have you read this thread ? 29 pages of troubles with Fierce rifles and **** poor CS ....

I have a 280 ackley in the savage Ultralite. I hear you on the stock and the bolt is not smooth. However, it will flat shoot. The 22" barrel is perfect for my purposes.

Being such a fan of the caliber, I have converted two buddies and set up rifles for them. One was a Christensen Traverse and the other was the x-bolt long range max. Both great rifles. X-bolt liked a 160 accubond which is what I shoot. Still tinkering with the traverse.

Here is my opinion on those three rifles. The savage Ultralite from a value and utilitarian standpoint would be my choice for an all around hunting rig. The traverse with the 26" barrel is a great rifle if you plan to stretch out to longer ranges. If you want a dedicated long range rifle, the x-bolt was a pleasure to shoot with the recoil hawg and adjustable cheek piece.

To those suggesting Fierce , have you read this thread ? 29 pages of troubles with Fierce rifles and **** poor CS ....
My statement was solely that Fierce met his requirements. You can find some folks even complaining about seekins which I have had no issues with. If it was me I would go with a bargara crest ² carbon in 7prc, if I wanted a carbon 7mm. But that wasn't the question.

My statement was solely that Fierce met his requirements. You can find some folks even complaining about seekins which I have had no issues with. If it was me I would go with a bargara crest ² carbon in 7prc, if I wanted a carbon 7mm. But that wasn't the question.
I understand , but no one is complaining about Seekins CS , I think thats the main issue with Fierce , IMO

Here is a photo of my Ultralite in 280 AI 😏
IMG_0147.jpeg