Trimming brass

Byrdman

I have a RCBS trim pro and I am having lot of trouble getting a consistent length. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong but don't see a lot that it can be. I am thinking of either buying an upgrade for my trimmer to a trim pro 2 head or a whole new trimmer... Can I get some input?
Thanks

If you are locking the stop block down tight there is no way it can trim deeper than the case length it is set for. Remember, there are two set screws to tighten, one that locks the block in place and the other for fine tuning. I never used the little one, as I would trim a case to the proper length and then use it as a model to set the trimmer the next time. I used one of these for years, until I bent the shaft using a drill to trim a bunch of brass that was changing from one cartridge to a different one, with no trouble at all. I think you need to read the instructions that came with the unit or find some on-line.

I have found that using the pilot to guide the case into alignment with the case holder before tightening it down helps somewhat. Problems with this case trimmer can usually be traced back to the way the case is loaded into the shell holder.
Proper pilot size is also, obviously, very important.

I am tightening both screws (the course and fine adjustment), and understand it should only go so far, it seems like it's not square. Will try to not let lever go till I have the pilot in it... Thanks for the help

Lee Case Trimmer Cutter Lock Stud

You have to buy the shell holder and pilot kit for the caliber you need seperatly. I like them quite a bit you can chamfer them also all with a drill you can even use 0000steel wool to polish the brass if your only doing a few and don't want to fire up your tumbler.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.