brass trimming

I have three Forester Case Trimmers. One is always set up for 270Win. I have an assortment of Pilots and Collets . After Purchasing the Sinclair gauge that you insert into a cut down empty case to gauge the actual chamber length , I realize I have been trimming cases unnecessarily for years. After 40 years of loading, still learning. The cases that measured to Loading Manuals Max Length, were still MUCH shorter the actual real length of chamber in the rifle. In One case it was 10/1000. I was trimming to a much shorter case length than was really needed.

I've used different tools throughout the "ages". I started with the Lyman case trimmer, which I still have and use occasionally for small jobs. I've tried the drill schemes and didn't get the repeatability so I abandoned them. I now use the trim tools on the RCBS case prep station. I only do it if the cases get close to max and then only back to the minimum plus a couple of thousands. My major cases problem child is my 338 Lapua, They seem to grow more than the others. I also lube the case mouth before sizing as I believe that operation is a major contributor to case length growth.

Depends on volume. I like the Lee trimmers for 100ct runs or smaller, especially with the drill collet adapter. I have a Giraud Triway for doing large batches of 223. Extremely fast and it deburs and chamfers at the same time.

View attachment 360041
View attachment 360232
I too use the lee trimmer with 3 jaw chuck, I've tried other trimmers but found the lee to be the most consistent, never off by more than .0005, many of the quick trimmers state that they stay within .002 so I wouldn't use for precision loads but if your fine with that I'm sure it would be quicker.

What tool do you use to trim, I have been using Lee's unit with the madrel that goes through the flash hole. I have tried Forrester's, not too crazy about it. Getting the set
screw right is real pain. Anybody have other suggestions ?
I've used Gracey power trimmers for 20 years. Easy to adjust, and do a nice clean chamfer while they trim.

What tool do you use to trim, I have been using Lee's unit with the madrel that goes through the flash hole. I have tried Forrester's, not too crazy about it. Getting the set
screw right is real pain. Anybody have other suggestions ?
When trimming with the Forrester tool I just collet up on the shortest case and go from there, never messed with the tiny set screw that much. just locked up on the shaft.

When trimming with the Forrester tool I just collet up on the shortest case and go from there, never messed with the tiny set screw that much. just locked up on the shaft.
That's basically how I set up my Hornady. It might be a thou off either way but not a big deal.

Use old Lyman Universal, but added a carbide cutter and put a 2 piece shaft collar on behind stop so it won't slip. I also made an adapter to drive it with my cordless drill. Can trim 200 per hour without breaking a sweat.

Trim handgun cases at least every other time they are shot. With revolvers crimp is very critical. Rifle cases get measured and trimmed as needed.

I do not look forward to adjusting tools for the various brass trimming operations, so I simplified the process. Specifically I use a Forster brass trimmer for reaming, a Lyman brass trimmer for outside neck turning, and another Lyman brass trimmer for brass trimming. The first requires only a change of the reamer, the second only requires an adjustment of the depth of cut (I control how much of the neck is turned), and the third only requires a change in pilot and length of cut.

I do not trim any pistol brass only rifle. I started with the Lyman Universal, I was not happy with it. Started using a LE Wilson about 25 years ago and have been using it ever since.