Trimming brass

hwy1strat

What do you guys do when trimming case necks to length. For example, lets say the SAAMI spec for the overall case length is 1.920". Your brass ranges from 1.895" to 1.925". Do you trim everything down to the shortest piece? Do you trim down to a certain point like 1.91" and then throw everything that is too short away? I normally buy loaded ammo and then use the once fired brass to reload in and this situation happens to me every single time. I think I am unsure of what to do because I keep hearing that square and uniform length case necks are far more important than length of the case neck. But at what point is it too short?

What do you guys do when trimming case necks to length. For example, lets say the SAAMI spec for the overall case length is 1.920". Your brass ranges from 1.895" to 1.925". Do you trim everything down to the shortest piece? Do you trim down to a certain point like 1.91" and then throw everything that is too short away? I normally buy loaded ammo and then use the once fired brass to reload in and this situation happens to me every single time. I think I am unsure of what to do because I keep hearing that square and uniform length case necks are far more important than length of the case neck. But at what point is it too short?
HWY1STRAT,
Some loading manuals, Lyman among them and many articles I have read recommend trimming 10 thousandths under sammi spec if cases need trimming. In the Hornady manual when loading the FTX bullets in 44 mag they emphasize to trim 30 thousandths below sammi. When I do trim I trim all the cases that I am loading for that caliber to 10 thousandths under sammi so the cases are in uniform length rather than just trim the over length cases. As long as the neck holds the bullet securely and you seat to the same COAL as before IMHO I fail to see where it would make a difference although I am not an expert. For more on the subject go here https://www.shootersforum.com/handloading-procedures-practices/71298-trimmed-too-short-now-what.html Hope this helps.

My group sizes are 1/2moa larger with random case lengths versus trimmed to the same length I trim mine to about 7 thousands below book I think 5-10 thousands is fine
Load 5 each of 2 different case lengths and see if you can tell/see a difference.

I'm not sure how trim dies are set, but I run a case through one and use that to set my trimmer. So for .30-06 base cases like a .25-06 or 6.5-06 I use the dummy case from the file type trim die to set the trimmer cutter head and just use the appropriate pilot. Been a long time since I've had to trim except for making 6.5-06 case from .270 cases.

Maybe it's best to trim all to the length of the shortest one.

Last edited:
Assuming you've fireformed the brass and trimmed AFTER that firing, I measure the length of every piece of brass and arrive at a length recommended by the various manufacturer's manuals. After that, I remeasure each piece of brass every time since I only FL resize my brass. One of the rules of accuracy shooting is CONSISTENCY. And that includes brass length measurement which are necessary for consistency. I've never been fond of the idea of trimming to the shortest brass length as that is usually only one or two pieces and now you are going to reduce potentially your best shooting brass to a shorter length???? Not a good idea in my book.

I would definitely trim them all to the same length. Other wise you will find the velocity of your rounds to be inconsistent. It makes a huge difference at longer range.

I would definitely trim them all to the same length. Other wise you will find the velocity of your rounds to be inconsistent. It makes a huge difference at longer range.

This is what i have heard/ found. So that is what I am trying to figure out. Do you trim them all to the shortest length?

This is what i have heard/ found. So that is what I am trying to figure out. Do you trim them all to the shortest length?
Yes as long as they are within 10 thousands of the case overall minimum. The problem when they get to short is crimping the bullet. Throat wear from burn powder build up. ECT. This is just what I would do if it were my problem. Not suggesting anybody do this. I'm not sure why his brass are below specs. Uniform rounds amount to accurate rifles.

6.5 Creedmoor. I am attempting to use a bunch of cheap once fired hornady brass that I have laying around

6.5 Creedmoor. I am attempting to use a bunch of cheap once fired hornady brass that I have laying around
has it been trimmed before? Or is it once fired? You should not only trim them all to the same length but weigh them and put the in order of weight if you want to get real technical. Hopefully this helps.

has it been trimmed before? Or is it once fired? You should not only trim them all to the same length but weigh them and put the in order of weight if you want to get real technical. Hopefully this helps.
Should be at least spec. By the time you size them. I think they will grow that much just from working them. If not I would definitely just use your smallest one to trim to. I would be worried about the small amount of difference you have there. I've been loading bullets for over 35 years. And my dad has longer than probably double that.

Last edited:
It is all once fired and never trimmed. They are also not of the same lot numbers. They have already been resized and they are varying in length by a decent amount

That being said, the 6.5 is such a forgiving round that I have had some very good results with load development so far

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.