brass trimming

texasgunner

What tool do you use to trim, I have been using Lee's unit with the madrel that goes through the flash hole. I have tried Forrester's, not too crazy about it. Getting the set
screw right is real pain. Anybody have other suggestions ?

Depends on volume. I like the Lee trimmers for 100ct runs or smaller, especially with the drill collet adapter. I have a Giraud Triway for doing large batches of 223. Extremely fast and it deburs and chamfers at the same time.

lee universal 3 jaw.jpg

gir.jpg

Last edited:
I use a Hornady trimmer and bought a RCBS yard sale for backup. But a Wilson or something that I could inside ream with would be nice. The new three way cutters are a time saver.

I use the Lee case gauges also. I use them threaded into my Lyman case prep center. The Forster I had did a good job as did the Wilson , RCBS, Redding. Its really a personal preference based on what you like and what level of precision you want. IMO

I use the Lee case gauges also. I use them threaded into my Lyman case prep center. The Forster I had did a good job as did the Wilson , RCBS, Redding. Its really a personal preference based on what you like and what level of precision you want. IMO
Yup time and money. As always with all things mechanical lol

I trim almost never other than the first time with my Semi Auto rifle brass. I have never trimmed pistol brass. I use a RCBS hand and power trimmer when I do trim.

What tool do you use to trim, I have been using Lee's unit with the madrel that goes through the flash hole. I have tried Forrester's, not too crazy about it. Getting the set
screw right is real pain. Anybody have other suggestions ?
How many do you do at a time? Dillon has a good one if you can justify the expense.

I trim almost never other than the first time with my Semi Auto rifle brass. I have never trimmed pistol brass. I use a RCBS hand and power trimmer when I do trim.
I have a large supply of Federal 223 brass. So yeah I trim a lot lol.

If you trim your pistol brass I'll bet you see an improvement in accuracy. On magnum hunting cartridges it can be dramatic. More consistent crimp = more consistent bullet pull. If you measure your pistol brass it will not need trimming due to length. It will need trimming because none of them are the same length. I learned that with my first .44. Trimmed everything ever since, especially anything that gets crimped or where accuracy matters. (most everything)

I have a large supply of Federal 223 brass. So yeah I trim a lot lol.
hahahaha....I have about 10K, cleaned, annealed, ready to size, swage, and finally trim. Luckily after I get it done I wont have to again for a few years. They say admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery. I DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM EVERYONE ELSE DOES!! 🤪 🤒🥴

Anybody have other suggestions ?
Yes, don't ;) Start with measuring your chamber length, and if you want to once the brass is nice and stable trim to a uniform length if you want to. You might be surprised how rarely you really need to trim if you were previously trimmer cases every firing:

If you have to trim cases every time because they're growing in a precision rifle, you most likely have a problem in your sizing process.

I use the LE Wilson system when I do trim. I also use the WFT trimmers on high volume non-precision brass, or to trim off case length if I'm reforming cases to something new. Both work well for me, in the sense that both give results with tolerances I'm willing to accept for their particular usages. I use caliber dedicated original WFTs, but there's newer model that's apparently modular and can cover multiple calibers:

Nothing wrong with the Lee.
After getting the Hornady trimmer I realized the Lee mandrels are actually quicker. It doesn't have to be fancy it just has to work.