Trigger control?

Only with a very heavy rifle, or light recoiling rifle, or using a brake.

I do have brakes on most of my rifles. The jump that accurs I believe is more me than the guns recoil. It's surprise that it just fired and I twitch a bit from it, enough that I lose sight of the target for a split second. I don't see the impact and have to find where I got.

I can hold everything more still if I use a more deliberate squeeze but at the same time doing that I'm more apt to pull the shot a little.

Couple more suggestions....

I have used a video recorder placed out in front of me and the rifle, off to my right and mounted on a tripod (like the guys on Youtube do). It gave me the ability to see exactly what I was doing each time, vs what I thought I was doing. I could review and analyze later. It was a good tool for me. Could see subtle position and method changes. Could see whether the bipod hopped and which direction. Even discovered that I blinked a lot. LOL

I also find it hard to shoot any lightweight rifle, with any amount of recoil, using the free recoil method. IMO free recoil is for heavy bench rifles. A light rifle needs to be controlled somewhat. I would try pulling the rifle into my shoulder and using a tighter grip on the stock. Maybe even controlling the forearm with the left hand. Just need to find what works the best consistently.

Finally, IMO there is a very small difference between a flinch and a startle. So small that they may be indistinguishable. I would try the old trick of having a friend load the rifle for you, while you are not looking, and at some point leave the rifle empty, without you knowing. You will know if you are flinching when you pull the trigger on an empty chamber. Even more decisive, if you have it on video. Good luck.

Thanks again for all the advice guy's.

Barrelnut that's a good idea with the video camera and will give that a shot.

I'll do the dummy round thing too just to see what happens. I can always call it when I have a flinch cus it's an anticipation type of thing, I move as I'm pulling the trigger not after while the gun is going off. But I'm curious to see what would happen if there's just a click without me knowing it's gonna be just a click

I know this will probably be viewed as a stupid idea, question, inquiry or what ever the correct term is. Do you use good hearing protection?

Sounds to me like you'd benefit from time on a 2-stage trigger set up nice and light.

I was thinking the same. I installed a David Tubb trigger in my hunting rifle and I really like it, it has helped my groups quite a bit.

I'm looking to step up my shooting and the first thing I think i should focus on is my trigger control. Now the thing for me is it is probably opposite of most people, I can squeeze the trigger without anything moving. The problem I think that may exist is a lot of time the shot takes me so much by surprise that I jump when it does go off. It's something I learned how to do well with thousands of hours of practice in archery, I'm immersed in aiming while the trigger squeeze is sub conscious. Sort of like my body makes the shot go off wheather my mind was ready or not. However with shooting a rifle of any caliber that has some recoil even a 243 it seems I may let the rifle jump around too much doing that.

So my question is should I continue to shoot this way and put in more trigger time and the jump will go away? Or should I start to practice with putting in a more deliberate squeeze to where I know the rifle is going off and sort of hold it down?

I want to add that it is not a flinch or being bothered by recoil but being startled that the gun went off...as though I am just holding it and some one sneaks up and pulls the trigger.
Practice, practice, practice.

Set up with a snap cap in your den with a bipod, get down behind it and have someone balance a quarter on the end of the barrel and when you can go shot after shot without it falling off you're doing pretty well.

In the field lean into the shot if only slightly and just keep in mind that the recoil is coming.

One thing I've found that helps me is to have a trigger set up with the maximum or minimum possible free travel/over travel following the shot.

Your finger builds momentum in the follow through and can cause you some accuracy issues if you bottom out before the bullet leaves the barrel.

With zero overtravel your finger tends to just stop without building that extra momentum "free falling" until it hits the max at the end.

This is a good topic of discussion. I remember my dad telling me that I was supposed to be surprised when the rifle went off, I followed his directions and shot terrible groups. I don't know where that school of thinking began but I don't know of any professional shooters who abide by that methodology. I believe precision shooting requires control. The idea of a surprise trigger break is insinuating a loss of control at the most critical moment of the shot. This is why 2oz triggers dominate the scene of bench rest competitions, because the shooters want exacting control of that pivotal moment in the shot and want to minimize any self induced error. I have seen "experienced shooters" shoot great rifles with great loads very poorly! I have also coached first time shooters into making first round hits at long distances that they couldn't believe. I believe the key is the shooter must control the weapon to the best of his ability throughout the entire shot cycle. Lots of guys develop bad shooting habits because they never receive instruction. These habits can be a small as releasing the trigger immediately after the shot. There is a lot that goes into making precise shots. The key to all of it is consistent control. You control the weapon, control your position, control your breathing, if you do all that, why would you give up control of the trigger?

I'm know there's plenty better shots than me around here but I view trigger control a couple different ways.
  1. When your a fairly new shooter, anticipation and flinch are the main culprits. "Surprise" when the rifle discharges is probably a good thing because the anticipation/flinch was circumvented. This method, IMO drives home the point to the new shooter that it's his head that causes marksmanship issues, not the equipment.
  2. After a while, a bit more seasoned shooter barely notices the recoil impulse so anticipation is minimized if not eliminated. Anticipation is replaced by something else in your head. In mine, it's "follow through". I know I can't really see it through the scope but I try to see the bullet flying down range and impact the target. It's sorta the same feel you get when you take a crumpled up ball of paper and perfectly toss it into a small container about 10 feet away. You don't think, you don't see you hand move to make the throw, you aren't even aware your breath paused and your head didn't move or that you didn't even blink. Your hand instinctively does it's thing and you just watch the ball of paper fly. When I shoot like this, my trigger finger unconsciously maintains the press all the way to the rear. I have to remind myself after the shot to let go of the trigger. I have two thoughts. Press the trigger to the back centerline of the butt stock and watch the bullet fly. Sure, I have some other mechanics that I set the shot up but the shot itself, I'm fairly conscious of when I break the trigger.

IMO your running way to heavy a trigger, with free recoil I run much, much better at 8 oz max and you should have some over travel. I find at 2+ lbs I am anticipating the rifle going of and I react, when all I have to do is move my finger and it's gone it all breaks clean and the recoil tracks. I find a 2 lbs trigger almost unshootable now and it takes a lot more work.

I want to add that it is not a flinch or being bothered by recoil but being startled that the gun went off...as though I am just holding it and some one sneaks up and pulls the trigger.

There's about a bazillion videos of guys shooting from a bench. Watch their trigger finger when the shot breaks. Their body stays still but keep an eye on the finger. The shot surprises them and they jerk their finger forward off the trigger like it burned them. They're totally unaware of it. Now imaging kicking a ball. At the point your foot makes contact, does it continue it's momentum forward as far as it will go with only gravity returning it or does the kicker immediately retract his foot after contact? Actually, I doubt the kicker even knows as he's kicking the ball because he isn't thinking about it. The truth though is that retracting the foot immediately would probably cause a lot of shanks. Being surprised by anything can cause some involuntary actions. Some more pronounced than others.

Cool to see this thread brought back up!

Since posting it I've shot quite a bit and did so mostly with heavy recoiling rifles, with heavier triggers. I found that I rarely flinch or jerk the trigger but would startle from the gun going off. I just seem to be lucky enough to have the ability to subconsciously pull the trigger. In my shot I'm immersed in aiming till boom the shot goes. It's sort of like being in a day dream then all of a sudden someone slaps you on the back. Thing I didn't like is how much I would jump in reaction to it.

The good news is since I've spent more time behind the trigger this jump or startle has diminished and I'm sure with some more time and practice will go away completely. I do lean into the rifle more than I did before which helps but I think overall the biggest thing is my body and subconscious has gotten used to it. Not like anticipation but knowing it's coming so it no longer startles me.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.