Recoil Control Methods

Yeah I am trying to take baby steps with him lol. U know how it is the stuff that shooters that are proficient do simply out of muscle memory is actually a lot of information, and kinda hard to teach in a range session or two.

Yep, that's what I was saying about harder kicking guns. You don't need to death-grip them, but you do need to have it firmly anchored on your shoulder.

And kudos to everyone who mentioned Limbsaver! If you are shooting hard-recoiling long guns without a Limbsaver, you are doing things the hard way.

At the bench I run the sling underneath a 40 lb Bullseye bag and pull the rifle backwards until it starts to drag the bag. So when I shoot 338 and 300 Win Mag, it moves 40 lbs of sand at the same time it moves me. The extra weight takes all of the harshness out of the recoil and it doesn't increase muzzle blast or flash. I like it better than a lead sled because I still get to shoot the rifle with the stock on my shoulder exactly as I will when hunting. The only thing that is different is the felt recoil is greatly diminished.
Those you mentioned aren't big recoilers especially in a bench gun. For guns up to 300wm or my braked rum, I just let it bounce. free recoil is fine up to a point, but beyond the win mag, he will need to learn some recoil control techniques. If I let my 12lb 475rum free recoil, the scope would break my face and the rifle would land 5 feet behind me :D

Yeah I am trying to take baby steps with him lol. U know how it is the stuff that shooters that are proficient do simply out of muscle memory is actually a lot of information, and kinda hard to teach in a range session or two.
Do you have that much info....only take a fella about 1.5 minutes to pick my brain clean!

I found over the years that folks CHOKING THE HECK out of their guns is what hurts most of them, but it's hard to convince new shooters to LET GO!

Very true. Sometimes even after 25 years of doing this, I'll choke the heck out of it, torque the rifle and pull stuff right. It's overcompensating for a lapse in "flinch management" that bites me every so often. Best to work these issues out at the range. More dry-firing is in order!

I let a dude at the range shoot this ol girl. He got behind it like it was a 22. Left about an inch of room between stock and shoulder, barely any cheek touching and grip hand was only touching trigger with index finger on an atlas and rear bag. One of the worst scope cuts I have seen yet. I was like 300 gr bergers will do that to a fellow lol. Here's to u Mr. professional shooter guy!
View attachment 144760
Yup....three fingers rule. Worst position's to get cut in ( or best if one is a little sadistic) prone and bench. Less seasoned shooters have a huge tendency to creep way up on a scope especially if you have it set on high power when they get positioned. Strange guns I will generally shoot free standing for the first shot just to see what I'm getting. Some of the FRIENDLIEST looking weapons can be the worst kicking, meanest sons of guns ( yup..pun intended) on the planet!

I always try free recoil on my rifles, then lay on it for the next group to see if there's any difference. Sometimes there is! My .270 likes free recoil... I use my left hand to fine tune the crosshairs under the stock and pinch the trigger with thumb on the trigger guard & forefinger on the trigger. My .338 WM, of course, likes a very firm hold. Groups shotgun when I free recoil it. Off the bench, the bottom of the scope ticks the top of my glasses on every shot. First time was a bit disconcerting, to say the least! Doesn't happen when in any other position, even prone on a bipod.

When it comes to getting those upside down smiley faces on your forehead, the worst one I ever saw was at Angeles National Forest range outside of LA. An older guy (back in the days when I wasn't one of them) had a kid naybe 16 or so, at the range for the first time. It sounded to me like he was a neighbor kid or something. He gets this kid on the bench with an old Win 30-06, explains to the kid to sqeeeeeze the trigger and keep the rifle tight into his shoulder. I'm not paying a lot of attention but I had just finished a group and looked over to see the guy standing behind the kid with his hands on his shoulders, staring intently at the target. The kid, unfortunately, had apparently never used a scope before (probably hadn't ever fired a rifle before, either!) and had his eye screwed into the ocular lens! I yelled, "DON'T..." just as he pulled the trigger. Knocked this kid silly and the guy is saying, "hmm, I don't think you..." when he looks down and sees the kids head lolling around while the blood pours from his eyebrow! "Oh lord.." was all he got out. I took a roll of paper towels over and handed it to him and said, "Ya don't have a .22, huh?" then went back to my lane. Poor kid probably never shot another gun in his life. I hate it when people try to impress their friends (or wife) by handing them the latest .450 Superpooper to show everyone how tough they are. Idiots, as far as I'm concerned. But there are times... when I was about 6 my uncle (then about 15) convinced my step dad that sure he could shoot that ought 6... so dad let him. He squatted down and torched off a round which knocked him right on his kiester! This is the same uncle that ultimately became my shooting & hunting mentor but at that time we all laughed like loons at him!
Cheers,
crkckr

I shoot a lot like u described remmy. Make sure the rifle is touching the pocket basically where my chest and front delt meet but I definitely don't pull it in tight. Put my thumb basically beside the tang so I can't torque the rifle and squeeze her off letting her do her thing. I try to make myself see the crosshairs as the rifle goes off and get that mental picture of where they were on target even trying not to blink( which of course I do but trying not to helps me with seeing that last image as the rifle fires).
Best way I have found to see if a new shooter is flinching or jerking the trigger is to act as if u are helping him and load his rifle for him. After he takes a few shots act as if you are loading a live round and simply close the bolt either dry or on a fired casing making him think the rifle is hot. This will show you real quick what he's doing.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.