Military crimp removal methods

I use the RCBS tool a lot I have found that a dollop of case lube on the swage every once in awhile tames the pressures down a lot. My next question is if the cases are new and unfired then there should be no swage to have to remove. I fired a lot of LC Match and never had any that were swaged and used them for reloading all the time. Machine gun ball was an entirely different story. Used to pick them up off the bore sighting pad for UH-1C/M and AH1 helicopters all the time. Machine gun ammo was expendable while Match ammo had to be turned back in. It was all done by weight not head stamp. ;)
LC match ammo isn't crimped still today. All the non-match NATO spec stuff is though.

Why would you be removing the primers and crimp on new, unfired brass?
The brass came from a contract cancelation. They were completed rounds on 7.62x51 for a customer. FSAAP pulled the rounds down and sold off the components. I bought 1500 brass and 32 pounds of powder. Very good prices, I must say. Happened early last year. I'm set for a while. All the brass are 14, 15, and 16 headstamps. The primers were considered expendable per the sales contract, oh well. 🤔 So I have to re-primer all of them. Hense me having to remove the mil crimp. I have a nice stash of primers on hand. The cases are all non-match, standard LC 7.62x51 brass. Works out good as long as you don't mind using military LC brass. I dont mind at all. The powder is all WC-846, similar to BLC-2. Been doing it for over 45 years. All in, I figure I saved lots of $ in the process.

Last edited:
Been using a cut out style tool for cutting out the mil crimp on mil brass for a while now. Tried a RCBS swage removal die today. I'm a bit surprised at the effort required to push/pop the press handle to release the cases when done. (On the upstroke). My process is working, but its wearing out my arm and beating up my bench and press. I have 1500 new unfired LC 7.62x51 cases to do. My question is this, do you guys know of any other manufacturers of on press swage removal dies that I might try?
Wanted to report back on a new (to me) cutter/reamer primer crimp remover tool. I got it from Burstfireguns.com. It has an 80 degree cutter and is very sharp. They have a YouTube video on using it. I used the RCBS cutter in my brass boss center and their on-press swager. I also tried the Hornady cutter tool. I used this new cutter tool today when I did 390 LC 7.62x51 cases. In comparison, this new cutter is miles ahead of my previous efforts. It's sharp and cuts extremely easy! Hardly any down pressure required to remove the crimp. I checked about half of the cases with a Swager check tool from Ballistic Tools to confirm my process. No issues found. Time will tell how long this lasts. It cost about $19 for 1 small and 1 large cutter. Consider...

There is no easy way, hence the reason the brass is so cheap.

Been using a cut out style tool for cutting out the mil crimp on mil brass for a while now. Tried a RCBS swage removal die today. I'm a bit surprised at the effort required to push/pop the press handle to release the cases when done. (On the upstroke). My process is working, but its wearing out my arm and beating up my bench and press. I have 1500 new unfired LC 7.62x51 cases to do. My question is this, do you guys know of any other manufacturers of on press swage removal dies that I might try?
Wanted to report back on a new (to me) cutter/reamer primer crimp remover tool. I got it from Burstfireguns.com. It has an 80 degree cutter and is very sharp. They have a YouTube video on using it. I used the RCBS cutter in my brass boss center and their on-press swager. I also tried the Hornady cutter tool. I used this new cutter tool today when I did 390 LC 7.62x51 cases. In comparison, this new cutter is miles ahead of my previous efforts. It's sharp and cuts extremely easy! Hardly any down pressure required to remove the crimp. I checked about half of the cases with a Swager check tool from Ballistic Tools to confirm my process. No issues found. Time will tell how long this lasts. It cost about $19 for 1 small and 1 large cutter. Consider...

I've used pretty much every method, as I process a ton of 5.55 brass to 223. I've found the style of crimp factors in too. The 4 stakes style seems to do better with swaging, and the ring style seems to do better with cutting. As in those methods work best for those styles.

I have a Dillon Super Swage 600, I've had an RCBS setup, etc, and I've tried all kinds of other things to include the press-mounted setups on a progressive.

The biggest issues I've had with the primer pocket reamers is that they dull very quickly and start doing a terrible job and require a lot more pressure to get the actual crimp cut out. If someone would make a carbide reamer, I think it might be just the ticket.

The actual best and most consistent method I've found, that requires the least effort and leaves the best result, has been using just a regular non-VLD chamfer tool chucked into a drill. I quick little zip to apply a slight bevel to the pocket is all that's needed. It removes the crimp and the bevel also allows for smooth locating and centering of the new primer, especially if priming progressively.

My Dillon just sits now and never gets used, which is sad, but I'm not going to keep using it when it doesn't give the best result. The biggest issue I've had with it is that while it does remove the crimp, the material around the opening of the pocket is still built up to the point the new primers have issues locating and centering properly and tend to get hung up every so often. It's very frustrating. I just don't have that issue with applying a bevel.

The only issue I have with the chamfer tool is it's obviously not completely consistent. It doesn't have the ability to bottom out, so you have to know when to stop. I'm not sure if it has any negative influence on anything, but it bugs me nonetheless lol. I've used a VLD chamfer tool, and it will indeed bottom out, but I've had issues with it not quite cutting enough material out and then the new primer doesn't always want to go in.

So until someone makes and sells a carbide primer pocket reamer, the regular chamfer tool will continue to be my method of choice.

Sorry for such a long drawn out reply 😬🤪

I gave away the cutoff Wylde. Here is one you can have. Chamber is Wylde derivative, zero freebore, something not pertinent to what you want yo do.

I gave you enough case stick out, hope that's enough for you to grip. Related application I use similar set up, when I get energetic to uniform pockets. Sideways on the lathe, cutter in chuck, present the pocket to it and push the other side with the center in the tailstock. You can use this jig to accomplish the same in vertical mode cutter in the drill chuck, quill stop to set depth.

Align set up real well, should serve you well.

View attachment 400269View attachment 400270

Awesome

Hope it continues to work well! I might have to try one myself. Couldn't hurt.

Hope it continues to work well! I might have to try one myself. Couldn't hurt.
De crimping is a pita! But if you want to shoot, you must pay. Oh well. I will keep using this cutter (1110 to go) and check out its usage and longevity until I'm done. I've done 390 so far, so good. Still sharp as hell. Just need to really hold it squarely when pushing it down on the cutter. And a REALLY light touch/pressure downward. It just takes a split second to complete crimp removal. It took me about 40 minutes to do all 390 cases with the requisite short learning curve. I'm going to test prime 25 cases tomorrow to ensure primers insert ok. I did check about half of the ones I already de crimped with a Ballistic Tools swage gage, no issues with over removal of brass. I was concerned about this, but my concern was for not. The key is a light touch when using it. I'll report back when I'm done. Stay safe and have fun!

De crimping is a pita! But if you want to shoot, you must pay. Oh well. I will keep using this cutter (1110 to go) and check out its usage and longevity until I'm done. I've done 390 so far, so good. Still sharp as hell. Just need to really hold it squarely when pushing it down on the cutter. And a REALLY light touch/pressure downward. It just takes a split second to complete crimp removal. It took me about 40 minutes to do all 390 cases with the requisite short learning curve. I'm going to test prime 25 cases tomorrow to ensure primers insert ok. I did check about half of the ones I already de crimped with a Ballistic Tools swage gage, no issues with over removal of brass. I was concerned about this, but my concern was for not. The key is a light touch when using it. I'll report back when I'm done. Stay safe and have fun!

Hey, AF guy, C-130. If you want to try a cut off chamber to hold the case sqaure in a drill press vise, I can send you one. Just like the one going out @Petey308 tomorrow.

If interested pm me your mailing address.

Hey, AF guy, C-130. If you want to try a cut off chamber to hold the case sqaure in a drill press vise, I can send you one. Just like the one going out @Petey308 tomorrow.

If interested pm me your mailing address.

@C-130 Dude

It's yours if you want it. Just finished cutting it.

20221010_212110.jpg