Military crimp removal methods

I've used pretty much every method, as I process a ton of 5.55 brass to 223. I've found the style of crimp factors in too. The 4 stakes style seems to do better with swaging, and the ring style seems to do better with cutting. As in those methods work best for those styles.

I have a Dillon Super Swage 600, I've had an RCBS setup, etc, and I've tried all kinds of other things to include the press-mounted setups on a progressive.

The biggest issues I've had with the primer pocket reamers is that they dull very quickly and start doing a terrible job and require a lot more pressure to get the actual crimp cut out. If someone would make a carbide reamer, I think it might be just the ticket.

The actual best and most consistent method I've found, that requires the least effort and leaves the best result, has been using just a regular non-VLD chamfer tool chucked into a drill. I quick little zip to apply a slight bevel to the pocket is all that's needed. It removes the crimp and the bevel also allows for smooth locating and centering of the new primer, especially if priming progressively.

My Dillon just sits now and never gets used, which is sad, but I'm not going to keep using it when it doesn't give the best result. The biggest issue I've had with it is that while it does remove the crimp, the material around the opening of the pocket is still built up to the point the new primers have issues locating and centering properly and tend to get hung up every so often. It's very frustrating. I just don't have that issue with applying a bevel.

The only issue I have with the chamfer tool is it's obviously not completely consistent. It doesn't have the ability to bottom out, so you have to know when to stop. I'm not sure if it has any negative influence on anything, but it bugs me nonetheless lol. I've used a VLD chamfer tool, and it will indeed bottom out, but I've had issues with it not quite cutting enough material out and then the new primer doesn't always want to go in.

So until someone makes and sells a carbide primer pocket reamer, the regular chamfer tool will continue to be my method of choice.

Sorry for such a long drawn out reply 😬🤪
Long reply, yes. BUT, informative. I too have been thinking a lot about the different types of crimp. 4 stake and ring. I concur with your assessment. Your experiences with crimp removal mirror mine. Seems to be always some sort of compromise no matter what you do. Thought a lot about the reaming cutter type tool made out of carbide. I believe that's the ticket. I would pay $50 IF it did the job. (You machinists out there, take note...hint hint...money to be made here.) But I think it may be a headache to manufacturer due to it being g carbide. And the fact that it must be done to spec. Could it be done? Yes. But is there enough need out there to warrant the effort? I think there is. I would bet every person that has/will go through this decrimp task goes through this and thinks the same thing about this reloading industry not coming up with a better way. Just sayin'.. Sorry about the long reply....again!

I used the RCBS until I bought the Dillon pocket swager. Dillon is much better. Luckily, I was able to sell my RCBS swager. I need to look up the You Tube rubber band hack to remove the case.
I remember a fellow on you tube that manufactured a base for the Dillon that automatically actuated the back up pin ejected the swaged case and reset the pin. He was in Michigan I think. FWIW

Been using a cut out style tool for cutting out the mil crimp on mil brass for a while now. Tried a RCBS swage removal die today. I'm a bit surprised at the effort required to push/pop the press handle to release the cases when done. (On the upstroke). My process is working, but its wearing out my arm and beating up my bench and press. I have 1500 new unfired LC 7.62x51 cases to do. My question is this, do you guys know of any other manufacturers of on press swage removal dies that I might try?
I did,nt know they crimped cases before seating primer...

Long reply, yes. BUT, informative. I too have been thinking a lot about the different types of crimp. 4 stake and ring. I concur with your assessment. Your experiences with crimp removal mirror mine. Seems to be always some sort of compromise no matter what you do. Thought a lot about the reaming cutter type tool made out of carbide. I believe that's the ticket. I would pay $50 IF it did the job. (You machinists out there, take note...hint hint...money to be made here.) But I think it may be a headache to manufacturer due to it being g carbide. And the fact that it must be done to spec. Could it be done? Yes. But is there enough need out there to warrant the effort? I think there is. I would bet every person that has/will go through this decrimp task goes through this and thinks the same thing about this reloading industry not coming up with a better way. Just sayin'.. Sorry about the long reply....again!
You can find carbide chamfer tools with different included angle. What is the included angle of the non vld neck chamfer tool, 90*?

You can find carbide chamfer tools with different included angle. What is the included angle of the non vld neck chamfer tool?
Don't know about a neck chamfer tool. But most reamer/cutter tools for primer crimp removal cut at a 30-45 degree. This removes quite a lot of brass. (Not actually necessary?) I did find a reamer cutter for primer crimp removal that the cuts at 80 degree. I ordered one. Will report back next week with results.

I 100% agree. I've only been able to find a compromise, and nothing I'd call an actual solution.

I did contact a couple companies that custom make carbide cutting tools and the cheapest quote I got was in the thousands. I think that was mostly initial tooling and such, and not a price per unit. I'm not really interested in having them made to sell though. Someone else might be.

I remember a fellow on you tube that manufactured a base for the Dillon that automatically actuated the back up pin ejected the swaged case and reset the pin. He was in Michigan I think. FWIW
I had mine setup to auto-eject the case. It was just spring loaded and threw them into a basket. It made operating it much faster, but didn't make the primer pockets able to still reliably take new primers.

You can find carbide chamfer tools with different included angle. What is the included angle of the non vld neck chamfer tool, 90*?

I searched all over to find something already made that would work. Ideally, it needs to be the right angle, and be flat at the end to where it bottoms out in the pocket at the flash hole. That would allow it to cut each case exactly the same. I'm not sure there's anything out there like that.

I've thought about drilling a hole in my chamfer tool and then making a post that would bottom out in the pocket and allow it to stop and cut just the right amount.

I searched all over to find something already made that would work. Ideally, it needs to be the right angle, and be flat at the end to where it bottoms out in the pocket at the flash hole. That would allow it to cut each case exactly the same. I'm not sure there's anything out there like that.

I've thought about drilling a hole in my chamfer tool and then making a post that would bottom out in the pocket and allow it to stop and cut just the right amount.
Get a new non vld chamfer tool, grind the tip enough (have it melonited later) so it does not bottom out. Use your drill press quill stop to set depth of cut using that dummy chamber I will send tomorrow.

Get a new non vld chamfer tool, grind the tip enough (have it melonited later) so it does not bottom out. Use your drill press quill stop to set depth of cut using that dummy chamber I will send tomorrow.
Yeah, I know I can set depth of cut with the drill press, but if I could rather have the cutter spinning and hold the case in my hand, and just put the case to the cutter by hand, I could fly through a few thousand cases a lot quicker than popping them into a case holder (dummy chamber) and running the drill press handle each time. It would be very effective, just slower than I'd like is all. And until I have a better solution, the method you're describing will be what I do when I truly want them consistent.

Oh by the way, tomorrow is a federal holiday. So your carrier might not be open.

Don't know about a neck chamfer tool. But most reamer/cutter tools for primer crimp removal cut at a 30-45 degree. This removes quite a lot of brass. (Not actually necessary?) I did find a reamer cutter for primer crimp removal that the cuts at 80 degree. I ordered one. Will report back next week with results.
Popular carbide chamfer end mills are, 60, 82, and 90 included angle. That's 30, 41, and 45.