Military crimp removal methods

On the next batch of barrels I send out to be melonited, I'll let you know. If you are interested you can send me new non vld chamfer tools and I'll add them with my barrels. The place I send the barrels for the juniors, their core business is in the oil industry not guns. They melonite drilling components.

For now, if you wish PM me your address I will send you a cutoff Wylde chamber that you can use in your drill press to hold the case. I will leave enough case stick out that you can hold on to.

Clamp the jig down in your vise squared up, align it to the quill. Set the quill stop for the amount of chamfer you want on your brass. If your brass are all sized properly, the depth of cut should be fairly close from one to the next as the sized cases will bottom out on the chamber shoulder.

FYI, All my mandrels, bushings, sizing dies are melonited. Next best thing to carbide.

For all your services to the forum, to get all stuff you want melonited, N/C to you including return shipping.

Just a thought.
You have you dies nitrided?

You have you dies nitrided?

Yes. Here is a Dasher I have not used yet.
20221010_223948.jpg

I'll check. Thanks!
The Dillon is the 600
1666443124118.png

Works great. I've done 45, 223, 308, and 30/06.

takes a little to adjust but beats the RCBS unit.

I've been using the Dillon Super Swager 600 for almost a year and have pushed a couple thousand 5.56 crimped brass through it. The issue I'm finally attributing to this swager is I'm getting constant slivers of brass caught in the primer cup on my Dillon 750 press. I assume it's falling out of the primer pocket in the priming cycle.

I have a Lyman case prep station, and I'm going to run the next batch of 500 cases after the Dillon swager over to the primer pocket reamer and cleaner stations to see if I can eliminate the brass slivers.

Or, maybe I need to clean the brass after swaging, not before? I have the Franklin Arsenal wet tumber that I run without the pins after decapping but before any other prep steps.

De crimping is a pita! But if you want to shoot, you must pay. Oh well. I will keep using this cutter (1110 to go) and check out its usage and longevity until I'm done. I've done 390 so far, so good. Still sharp as hell. Just need to really hold it squarely when pushing it down on the cutter. And a REALLY light touch/pressure downward. It just takes a split second to complete crimp removal. It took me about 40 minutes to do all 390 cases with the requisite short learning curve. I'm going to test prime 25 cases tomorrow to ensure primers insert ok. I did check about half of the ones I already de crimped with a Ballistic Tools swage gage, no issues with over removal of brass. I was concerned about this, but my concern was for not. The key is a light touch when using it. I'll report back when I'm done. Stay safe and have fun!
Wanted to report back on my experience (so far) with the new Ba
De crimping is a pita! But if you want to shoot, you must pay. Oh well. I will keep using this cutter (1110 to go) and check out its usage and longevity until I'm done. I've done 390 so far, so good. Still sharp as hell. Just need to really hold it squarely when pushing it down on the cutter. And a REALLY light touch/pressure downward. It just takes a split second to complete crimp removal. It took me about 40 minutes to do all 390 cases with the requisite short learning curve. I'm going to test prime 25 cases tomorrow to ensure primers insert ok. I did check about half of the ones I already de crimped with a Ballistic Tools swage gage, no issues with over removal of brass. I was concerned about this, but my concern was for not. The key is a light touch when using it. I'll report back when I'm done. Stay safe and have fun!
Wanted to report back on my experience (so far) with the new Burstfireguns.com mil crimp removal tool I got a week ago. Its a cutting type tool you can chuck in a drill or a 8/32 spindle processing center. I have processed about 750 cases out of 1500 so far. It seems to stay sharp great. And cuts the crimp out efficiently and very easily. As compared to other cutting tools, it has a very steep cutting angle (80°). This works well as it doesn't remove too much brass which can cause primer loseness. I was concerned about the steep cutting angle affecting primer insertion ease. Didnt need to worry, it isn't an issue at all. I primered 200 cases and didn't have any issues at all. So I must consider this a good find. Condider...

There is a hydraulic method to blow the spent primer out. The old stand by chamfer is probably the best way to remove crimp..

There is a hydraulic method to blow the spent primer out. The old stand by chamfer is probably the best way to remove crimp..
My quest was to find a better mouse trap. Didn't like the many types I new of having tried most all of them. This is why I started looking in the first place. The new one I found does seem to be much more efficient and easy to use. That's where my quest ended. We'll see....

I've used pretty much every method, as I process a ton of 5.55 brass to 223. I've found the style of crimp factors in too. The 4 stakes style seems to do better with swaging, and the ring style seems to do better with cutting. As in those methods work best for those styles.

I have a Dillon Super Swage 600, I've had an RCBS setup, etc, and I've tried all kinds of other things to include the press-mounted setups on a progressive.

The biggest issues I've had with the primer pocket reamers is that they dull very quickly and start doing a terrible job and require a lot more pressure to get the actual crimp cut out. If someone would make a carbide reamer, I think it might be just the ticket.

The actual best and most consistent method I've found, that requires the least effort and leaves the best result, has been using just a regular non-VLD chamfer tool chucked into a drill. I quick little zip to apply a slight bevel to the pocket is all that's needed. It removes the crimp and the bevel also allows for smooth locating and centering of the new primer, especially if priming progressively.

My Dillon just sits now and never gets used, which is sad, but I'm not going to keep using it when it doesn't give the best result. The biggest issue I've had with it is that while it does remove the crimp, the material around the opening of the pocket is still built up to the point the new primers have issues locating and centering properly and tend to get hung up every so often. It's very frustrating. I just don't have that issue with applying a bevel.

The only issue I have with the chamfer tool is it's obviously not completely consistent. It doesn't have the ability to bottom out, so you have to know when to stop. I'm not sure if it has any negative influence on anything, but it bugs me nonetheless lol. I've used a VLD chamfer tool, and it will indeed bottom out, but I've had issues with it not quite cutting enough material out and then the new primer doesn't always want to go in.

So until someone makes and sells a carbide primer pocket reamer, the regular chamfer tool will continue to be my method of choice.

Sorry for such a long drawn out reply 😬🤪
this is what I do too